French campsites in June/early July?

snobbyafghan

We usually go to France in September/early October and have found it easy to get on to sites "on spec" because things are so quiet.

This year, we are planning going mid-June to mid-July. I believe this is before the general French summer holiday and so I'm hoping the sites will be quiet enough for us not to have to do pre-booking.

What's other's experience of France in June/July? Am I being over-optimistic?

Doug

I have never had a problem in June turning up with no pre-booking.

July may be different when the Dutch and Germans get on the move. It really depends on where you want to go. Popular tourist areas tend to get much busier then, especially the coastal areas. Move back from the coast and you should be OK.

This is IMHO

Shouldn't be a big problem, but I'm not sure how "early" in July you mean. Don't forget Bastille Day (14 July) which is a MAJOR public holiday!

As far as the Dutch and Germans are concerned, half of Holland used to be on holiday in July, the other half in August (so you kept out of the way when they changed ends!). I don't know if that's still an issue or not - my recent visits haven't been at that time.

Never had a problem, never booked a site just turn up. There are so many sites in France that you will always find space. Went to one once, and the only space they had was right by the loos, and was bumper to bumper. Went half a mile down the same road, found a lovely site not to busy, no pool and no screaming kids either!!but we don't use the pools anyway, and very friendly people. Can't remeber exactly were now, but somewere in the Camargue

Have a great time. We are of on friday, can't wait now.

PJay

Up to mid July there wont be a problem. For the past 8 years we have been going to the Loire/Champagne/Burgundy/Rhone Alps/Poitou-Charentes with no problems. No need to book and usually plenty of choice of pitches. We tend to arrive about mid-day which helps although some sites do have their lunch between 12 and 2pm so you may have to wait. Many motorhomes without children only stay for a few nights so there is plenty of turnover.

Archived