lake annecy

calypso

Hi has anybody on the forum been to lake Annecy we are off to France on Saturday and this is where we thought we would head to.could anyone tell me a good route down {no tolls if possible} and will the roads round the lake and there abouts be mountainous and scary.are there any aires in the region or is it all camp sites thank you jean

Guest JudgeMental

There are about 6 aires around the lake...When there, I have only noticed the one near Annercy itself on main road heading south on West side..always full but this was July and August.

There are some nice sites at bottom of lake. As for routes we are always in a rush during school holidays so use tolls :-D

When we went, we used tolls to get there but came out (heading south) using ordinary roads. Neither route was at all scary. We also found the aire comin out of town near the lake to be always full but found a site not far, up the hill which was fine. The sites further out of town along the lake were all closed but this was October - shouldn't be a problem now.

I hope the weather warms up for you - it was cold there in October but a lovely place.

Have a good time.

Doug

We have visited Annecy four times now; a good place for a few days break before heading into Italy or further south. we have always stayed at Camping le Solitaire du Lac which is adjacent to the lake at Saint Jorioz. Its a few miles south of Annecy but there is a great cycle piste, (old railway line) down into Anncey. Its easy cycling and much easier that trying to park on the aire in the town which is normally full, and there are two supermarkets just off the cycle piste on the way back. Camping le Solitaire Du Lac has its own access to the lake for lake swiming.

Link to Google map view of cycle piste

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Annecy,+Haute-Savoie,+Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,+France&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.783636,46.362305&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FWhfvAIdR4NdAA&split=0&hq=&hnear=Annecy,+Haute-Savoie,+Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,+France&ll=45.881338,6.141969&spn=0,0.011319&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=45.881444,6.14197&panoid=YUQmqCcsGOh4zKHa-Prxsg&cbp=12,155.11,,0,5

We were there two years ago and the aires on the north east side of the lake was closed. The one on the west side just south of the town was very full but with patience you could get in when someone else left. We stayed on the car park about 5km south of the town adjacent to the marina. The advantage here was no fees, a water tap and toilets at the marina buildings. However all this was in late September but I don't think that I would want to be there in high summer!

We have stayed at Annecy many times,i only know of two airs around the lake one as mentiond on the west side close to town and one on the east side just after a large car park a few minutes from town.Both only take about a dozen vans. We stayed on the car park that Grumpy mentioned on the west side oppisite Mcdonalds Liddles is a few minutes further on.There's usually other vans there and we've had no problems apart from some road noise. We use Autoroutes to St Quenton then N roads to Rheims Beaune DiJon Macon Nantua (air by lake)Annecy.

Baz

The roads around the lake are fine.

I would recommend camping at Talloires. The site is called Camping du Lac, just south of the village at Angon. You camp right beside the lake. Swimming and snorkeling is excellent. Lots of fish.

In the mountains above Talloires is Col de Forclaz. Well worth a visit. Make sure you have a good working cooling system. Our Boxer got very hot climbing the mountain.

Have a great holiday.

Archived