Towing a trailer in France - special requirements?

snobbyafghan

It's actually a folding caravan but it looks like a trailer! I've asked the question on the caravan forum but had no response from the tuggers. I've been to France a few times with a motorhome but this is the first time tugging. Any unique French laws for towing?

Thanks

Doug

No, but if the combined weight (MAM) of trailer and tow vehicle exceeds 3,500kg, you will be restricted to 90kph on motorways, 80kph on priority roads (90 kph if dual carriageway with central reservation), and 50kph (as normal) in built up areas.  If the tow vehicle exceeds 3,500kg MAM, the limits are 90kph motorways and dual carriageways with central reservations, 80 kph all other non-urban roads, and 50kph built up areas.  Exceptions are as indicated by roadside signs. 

If you fall into either of the above categories, you must carry signs indicating the lower limits of "80" and "90", either on the trailer, or on both tow vehicle and trailer, as appropriate to the weights of each, obtainable here : http://tinyurl.com/39wluxh

Speed Stickers – Are they required?

The following is an extract from a longer document produced by the Caravan Club.

The French highway code stipulates that 80 and 90 stickers must be displayed by vehicles required to drive at the lower limits, however we have been contacted by various members who live in France advising us that this requirement to attach stickers is being ignored, and the French police are not interested in enforcing it.

We have also received conflicting opinions from the legal department of the ACF and the office of the French Minister of Transport, the ACF say that the stickers need to be displayed by vehicles registered abroad and the French Minister of Transport is staying that they do not.

We have tried without success to get clarification on this point, if you feel that you wish to attach the stickers they can be purchased from www.speedstickers.co.uk telephone: 0800 988 7329 (between 10.00 – 14.00)

The full document can be found on the Club website at

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5582430/french%20speed%20limits.pdf

I have following this thread on a c ouple of forums and one question arises in my mind.

As I understand it, (so am awaiting correction), if I have a 3.5 ton vehicle, I do not need speed stickers.

If I tow a trailer, I will need stickers on the trailer ( And motorhome ?????)

If I take the trailer off, am I left with stickers on the motorhome that I do not require as I am 3.5 ton and the stickers are not applicable ?

Vecro speed stickers, may be the answer, but could cause complications !

Rgds

My logic!  There are three conditions.

1.    Where the combined MAM of tow vehicle and trailer is less than 3,500kg: neither tow vehicle nor trailer requires stickers.

2.    Where the tow vehicle MAM is less than 3,500kg, but the combined MAMs exceed 3,500kg: the trailer alone will require the stickers.  (The tow vehicle, when solo, would not require stickers, so will not need them when towing.)

3.    Where the tow vehicle MAM exceeds 3,500kg: it then requires the stickers in its own right and, if it tows anything, the trailer will also need the stickers.

So, if your vehicle has a MAM of 3,500kg, it will not need the stickers (whether towing or solo), but any trailer will.  I'm trying to apply French logic.  You must do what you are instructed to do, but in the absence of instruction need not do anything.

Same logic as a "deviation" - you follow the direction indicated, until told to take a different direction.  That is why you never get a continuation sign at subsequent junctions, the default is straight on.  Er, either that, or someone forgot to erect the next sign!  :-D

snobbyafghan - 2010-05-12 11:56 AM

It's actually a folding caravan but it looks like a trailer! I've asked the question on the caravan forum but had no response from the tuggers. I've been to France a few times with a motorhome but this is the first time tugging. Any unique French laws for towing?

Thanks

Doug

I recall reading somewhere that trailers require the axle to be in "one piece" ie meaning "Indespension" suspension units would not be acceptable. I guess this is not an issue for a folding caravan, but would exclude a lot of self build trailers

Archived