Globecar Trendscout

springer

Hi everyone, The trendscout is the only van conversion we have found with a double bed at the rear and able to sleep parallel to the van sides. And its on a Ford Transit chassis. I would appreciate any views on this combination as it seems somewhat rare. Many thanks in advance

Hi Brian, Have just spoken with importers and yes, it can either be two singles or one double, all the bits are installed. I was prompted to ask for experiences particularly as to why this layout, which seems to tick our boxes, is so rare and why have the makers chosen to build it on a Ford Transit. The nearest for layout is the Autocruise Alto but this is of French bed design, which my wife and I experienced in the Swift Escape and didn't like it one little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a Trendscout for a few years.

All motorhomes have advantages and disadvantages dependent on your wish list. The Trendscout can be used as a roomy double bed layout or as two single beds but the surplus cushions will then have to be stored in the cab.

Like all vans, insulation is limited in the walls (not enough room) but the heating system is powerful.

Because of the reduced width and length the vehicle is very easy to drive and park.

The water tanks are relatively large but the shower is only usable in a dire emergency. The toilet compartment is very cramped. We leave the door slightly ajar and have fitted a door "stay" to prevent it from opening further.

Storage space is not bad considering the size of the vehicle and the pay load is excellent. The kitchen is of course relatively cramped. We are lazy and generally eat out for lunch or dinner. We therefore only use the kitchen for breakfast and picnics.

I suggest you read the article by Andrew and Rona Bromley in the Oct 09 issue of MMM which I fully concur with. I also fitted an external drainage valve to the fresh water tank.

Two very important points relate to the Ford Transit battery arrangement (RHD only) and the remote key fob. Please read my post under Ford Transit batteries!

I do not regret purchasing the Trendscout. Whilst not a "fancy" van the build quality is quite reasonable and the technical execution is excellent except for the water tank drain valve. I have bought much more expensive motorhomes (dare I say from a UK manufacturer) which look very nice inside but are technically very badly executed.

The battery and key fob issues are Ford related.

Have looked at Globecar in past and (having abandoned atempts to get anyone to build to my design) will hopefully be viewing Campscout 636 in near future.

We have two concerns, first is importer has in past not been very reliable, i.e. offering models for sale then withdrawing them, also not displaying at Peterborough this year but having thier own 'show' (I know of one dealer that was very annoyed at that).

The build quality of a Trendscout we saw recently was not up to my standards (but then I'm a fussy sod).

Having reread your first couple of posts I am puzzled as to why you have not found this layout before, it's very common on British built vans maybe not so much so on continental ones, the only unusual part is being on a Ford base.

The Ford base they use is slightly narrower than Fiat, also that particular model is slightly shorter than most contervors use, so you will find it easier to squeeze in parking spots that a Fiat LWB might not fit, the down side is it's a bit tighter inside, but if it's big enough for your needs thats o.k.

Robinhood - 2010-05-29 10:35 AM

A selection of Globecars (including Trendscout) at:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/smcmotorhomes/search.cfm?Category=New Motorhomes

None of those vans are actualy there, they are the LHD demo vans lent out by importer so that dealer could decide which to stock note reg date 1/6/10 which is when they are hoping to get stock, if I'm not too busy sun/mon I may give them a ring to see if they have got some in, elsewise Blakcountry are on my route next weekend when I'm on a trip out.

• 1 month later...
Just bought new trendscout and would agree with all Brabander says, build quality seems very good,and everything seems well thought out. No problems so far [1500 miles] apart from very rattley window blinds,any ideas anyone? Know Globecar come from the Hymer group but dont seem to be able to find much info about them. Did,nt intend buying a new a new van but was impressed with the end lounge and 130hp transit,pulls like a train! Fords 3 year warranty was also a deciding point. Anyone buying a new motorcaravan should check out warranty, it starts when van is bought by converter,which can be several years before you get it! Contacting base vehicle main dealer should get full warranty from reg. date.

john y - 2010-07-06 12:15 AM ............. Anyone buying a new motorcaravan should check out warranty, it starts when van is bought by converter,which can be several years before you get it! Contacting base vehicle main dealer should get full warranty from reg. date.

Globecar are made by Possl, who are owned by Hymer.

It is true that the default is for the warranty to start from when the van leaves its manufacturer's factory.  This should be re-set to the date of first registration by the dealer who sells the van.  If he has saved his money by omitting this bit of customer focused admin, the customer can usually get it sorted by contacting the manufacturer's warranty department, explaining the situation, and sending them a copy of the registration document.  This also ensures the warranty is transferred from country of origin to UK, and also guarantees you get any recall notifications.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2010-07-06 10:54 AM

Globecar are made by Possl, who are owned by Hymer

and loads of both for sale in Gemany........... I am downsizing and wil probably go for the Globestar as I prefer the outside appearance.

no red in the globecar/Possl that I can see, but you can get a 2010 Globecar/possl for approx 30.000 euro about £25000 at the moment inc tax....... lots of red possls though :-D

Rattleing blinds are made bySeitz, the blinds pull up from the bottom and flyscreen from top and clip together when they meet. the light tizzing type rattle comes from inside both reels ,better if pulled out under tension. Ref colours, Globecar website shows avalable in silver or met. red. latest MMM on test is Globecar globescout vario and Concorde compact, both made by Possl !

Guest JudgeMental

There are at the moment 129 globecar/Possl vans In stock in German dealers via www.mobile.de

Most are silver, some are red, even orange....... Obviously if you order new you can have any colour you want

Archived