GLOMEX DISCOVERY SAT SYSTEM

davanne

Guest JudgeMental

looks interesting and cheap at under £1000......interested in any feed back myself.

I think some domes draw current all the time and some only when searching, this will need clarifying as well as general performance and comparison with established units like the Camos and KVH etc....

We recently bought one of these. Initially there was a problem withe the system but the support from the importer and manufacturer was superb, in the end they flew an engineer from Italy to my home address to try and rectify the fault. He couldnt so swapped the whole system and got it working. We think the sat dome was damaged in transit but as yet have had no feedback from them. The dome performs as expected and gives a good seek time and good picture quality. I have mathed it to a Zehnder FTA box. WE now have acceess to Astra1,Astra2 and hotbird - far more channels than I could ever watch. Concusion Good product, lightweight, very compact and low price, al in all we would recomend it, especially for smaller vans.

Guest JudgeMental
Great service....Do you know if it draws current when locked on? Have you been to Europe yet?

Fitted it myself using sikaflax adhesine and 4 stainless steel self tappting screws/ I used the existing status aerial hole in the roof for the single cable that feeds the dome and the 12v supply from the status amp, it was really easy. Just make sure all the holes are well sealed!

Guest JudgeMental
davanne - 2010-05-18 6:41 PM

Thanks for info I think we will go with one of these as the aftersales seems good from what you have said.

By the way have you used it abroad?

have you twin batterys?.....because if it draws cxurrent all the time your could have power problems I think. that is why I have asked OP teice without luck........

the camos dome only draws current while searching I think....... some do some dont *-)

reception should be OK in France doubtful beyond that.

• 2 months later...
Guest JudgeMental
I think you mean LCD.......No you are right they sell LED TV's. Have never heard of them, are they suposed to be better?

An LED tv is an LCD tv with a different method of back lighting.

An ordinary liquid crystal display uses CCFL (florescent lights to back light the display) whereas the "LED" uses LED lamps to back light the same liquid crystal display.

The benefit of LED back light is lower power consumption and a whiter / brighter light which it is claimed will give better and sharper colour definition. From the ones I have seen it appears to be true.

I have just spotted a better explanation here http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/led-tv-and-lcd-tv-compared?campaignId=12003230&s_kwcid=led%20v%20lcd%20tv|4598582111

Guest JudgeMental
I know it is cheap, but it is an odd (ugly) shape IMO betraying that it is really designed for boats not motorhomes. be interested to see if it works when switched of though, as I may get one on next van as it is so cheap

JudgeMental - 2010-07-26 9:13 AM

New van Bernie?.......looks a beast!

Hi Eddie

Yes - bought the new Frankia on 1st March in Germany - This 1 is Frankia number 5 - we like 'em!

The old avatar was our 1st 'van which was a CI Mizar 160. I thought it was about time for a change of pic.

Well spotted though.

• 2 months later...

Archived