Cycle Carrier for motorhome

peter21

Hi

We are looking for a 2 bike rack for the back of our rapido 7090+ motorhome (no back window). We would like one that folds up out of the way when not in use. Any recomendations?

Also....I am toying with the idea of fitting it myself....anyone done that?

Thanks a lot

Peter

I would think that best known are Fiamma, but Thule also have a range.

If you Google I'm sure you will find plenty of info on them - Fiamma have a catalogue which you could get through the post.

Have not fitted one myself but I know that you need to ensure that the back 'wall' of your van has suitable reinforcement.

Not sure if you have a garage in your unit. We do and have fitted a Fiamma two bike holder in the garage rather than hanging it off the back of the motorhome.

Putting it on the back increases the length and possibility of colliding with something on a tight turn. :-)

Try Outdoor Bits website for the parts.

peter21 - 2010-05-12 1:39 PM

Hi

We are looking for a 2 bike rack for the back of our rapido 7090+ motorhome (no back window). We would like one that folds up out of the way when not in use. Any recomendations?

Also....I am toying with the idea of fitting it myself....anyone done that?

Thanks a lot

Peter

Hi, We have a Fiamma 2 bike rack on the rear of our Autocruise Stargazer, on which the channels carrying the bike wheels can be folded forward and upward against the brackets attached to the rear of the motorhome. When folded, it still projects rearwards by 12 inches from the rear wall of the motorhome on which it is mounted, but as the rear wall is actually recessed and the trim at each side projects 6 inches beyond the rear wall at the mounting points, it only increases van overall length by about 6 inches when folded.

It would also be possible to remove the rack by undoing the lower mounting pins and the lifting the rack off the top clips (a sort of hook arrangement. I havent done this but it looks easy enough to do.)

I am not sure I would want to fit it myself, as it is vital to know where the rear mounting point reinforcing is located under the skin., and also to look carefully where the mounting bolts would appear inside the van. In my case in the shower on one side, and behind the cooker on the other.

hope this might help

tonyg3nwl

Hi Tony

I fitted a rear bike rack to or Rapido 709F when we had it, it wasn't a hard job as it had a fixed longitudinal rear bed and the rack fixings went niced within the bespace. I made sure that they were fitted with spacers within the caravan wall (to prevent it being squished) and had 2 large spreader plates/battens inside to take the weight/pressure with some aluminium plates over them (from memory I think the battens were about 6 inches high, by 3/4 inch thick by 3ft long ... don't quote me as it was 5 years ago!) I made sure the top of the rack went directly under the rear window so that it went through the internal battens for strength.

Whether you can do it yourself will depend on what accessibilty you have at the rear of your van and how good your DIY skills (and confidence!) is. I did it when hubby wasn't around as I'm sure I'd have had a load of kittens running around if he'd been there! (lol)

We have a "Drop-On" tow bar mounted cycle rack which means when you get to your destination you can take it off if you don`t need it. Personally don`t like the rear door mounted ones as you have to lift the bikes too high to get them on it. I think "Thule" make the best ones and am looking at their tow bar ones as the Drop-On is getting a bit old now....don`t want it dropping off..... 8-) ..PS I`ve seen the results of a DIY job... :$

Guest JudgeMental

Hmmm...if you dont know how to ID cables how you going to ID fixing points

if you don't know what you are doing, not only can you pull the back of the van when going over speed bumps (if fitted badly) you can get damp etc...

I would get a tow bar mounted one, much better from a security perspective as well, as you can chain bikes through tow bar

Simple answer is they don't put electric cables through cycle rack mounting points, of obvious reasons.  If your van has no DIY additions for which cables may have been installed in dotty places, and if you know for certain that there are reinforced mounting points, and where the are, you will be OK.  If unsure, get the rack fitted by a dealer for the make of van.

Another vote for towbar mounting :-D

No holes to drill, removes when not required and takes up very little space.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20090618-_MG_4100-1.jpg

Keeps bikes away from bodywork and is useable even when you do have a rear window.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20090623-sete3-2.jpg

Easy to transfer between vehicles.

Archived