Ferry costs to France

snobbyafghan

I'm talking about to Normandy specifically. They seem very expensive this year but Condor Ferries have come in about a third cheaper than all the others.

Downside is they only sail on Sundays but a good saving if you can manage that.

The Caravan Club site doesn't offer the Condor sailings via their discounted (allegedly..!) booking service because "Condor aren't offering any special prices this year". I guess they don't need to if they so much cheaper anyway.

Doug

I've booked the Brittany Ferries Normandy Vitesse fast ferry from Poole to Cherbourg and paid almost £100 more than last year and that included a day cabin on my preferred ferry - the Barfleur.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Brittany Ferries have sold this ship, so the only option seems to be the fast ferry using either Brittany Ferries or the Condor ferry - not my favourite way to get to France but I'm not keen on spending 6-8 hours on the conventional ferry from Portsmouth.

It'll be interesting to see how many people are using this ferry now Brittany Ferries have taken the Barfleur off the route- hope it's not too busy as loading on the car deck is chaotic at the best of times!

John

pkc - 2010-05-13 1:30 PM The fast ferry is nicknamed the'Vomit Comet' I'll leave you to work out why. Regards, PKC ;-)

I always thought it was called " The Sick Cat " in its earky days.

Thats why we always use Eurotunnel @ £96 return as a frequent traveller. Better still if you shop Tesco's but we do not have a Tesco's unforunately.

kelly58 - 2010-05-13 1:59 PM
pkc - 2010-05-13 1:30 PM The fast ferry is nicknamed the'Vomit Comet' I'll leave you to work out why. Regards, PKC ;-)

Thats why we always use Eurotunnel @ £96 return as a frequent traveller. Better still if you shop Tesco's but we do not have a Tesco's unforunately.

The trouble with the tunnel is that it comes up in the wrong place.We need another one, further west. ;-)

malc d - 2010-05-13 2:36 PM
kelly58 - 2010-05-13 1:59 PM

The trouble with the tunnel is that it comes up in the wrong place.We need another one, further west. ;-)
Exactement.......!Doug

Have to agree , the tunnel is to far east for a lot of us.We can be in Cherboug in the time it takes to drive to the Tunnel. and then yiou have the drive back on the other side. Takes us ten mins to get to Portsmouth ferry terminal. Of to-morrow morning on the slow one (fast cat was fully booked) to Caen. then slow drive to Spain/Portugal,.There are alot more sailings from Portsmouth now, pity they don't put the cost down a bit.

PJay

Try LD Lines from Portsmouth. The day ferry is cheaper than the night ferry (as cabin/sleeping couch is compulsory). We have used both in the past as Brittany Ferries are much too expensive. Mid week - Tues, Weds - seem to be the cheapest. You get 10 per cent discount via Camping and Caravan Club. But try the LD Lines own site as they often have offers.

Archived