beam deflectors from LHD to RHD

Imlach

Hello I wonder if anybody can help me I have the Fiat X250 van and it is left hand drive and I am after after headlight deflectors to change them to RHD so Iam legal in the UK after reading this months MMM showing you how to change them to LHD can anybody help me changing them to RHD,I look forward to your replys Best Regards Imlach

Hi Gerard

As Brambles says it should just be a matter of placing them in a mirror image. There has been various threads warning not to use the Black deflectors mounted directly on the Headlamp glass as it can cause problems due to heat build up.

Some of those threads mention this type:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172996_langId_-1_categoryId_165458

Only one source plenty on e-bay also.

Yes I have thought of that but the headlight protectors have the area marked for RHD and the nearside one is different to the offside one I am off to France next month so I hope I can solve the problem there, I was hoping somebody else had a LHD fiat who might be able to help me, but whats a motorhome if it has not got a problem Imalch :-D :-D

You appear to be missing what I and others are saying, Get the RHD ones and then copy the location of masks of LH onto RH as a mirror image and vica versa. You may have to get som emore tape to do this. Use a layer of white tape not black and then place a layer of black on top.

It is also very easy to work out where to place masking shining head lights at a wall and using a sort of small lolliop stick (or your finger) to see which area affects the kick up on the beam pattern.

Guest JudgeMental
My van is LHD, I fitted headlight protectors and bought the beam benders and never got around to fixing them...have driven van for 3 years and the chap at MOT test centre the other week fixed the beam benders for me. relax mon :-D

Hi Imlach

Didn't bother to use any deflectors for the first 3 years until the van had to be MOT'd.

Got benders from Halfords and a local garage put it on their MOT ramp and stuck 'em on in the right place.

I leave them in place when sur le continent and have had no problems.

With previous LHD vans I used to fit RHD headlights & change headlights when I went over the water. Speaking with french camping caristes they told me that they didn't bother when visiting UK so now I don't when visiting France.

smifee - 2010-05-14 6:54 PM

Speaking with french camping caristes they told me that they didn't bother when visiting UK so now I don't when visiting France.

While I can see the common-sense and justice of this approach, it's not an argument I'd want to have with a Gendarme! But maybe your French is better than mine ...

Imlach - 2010-05-13 9:51 PM

Hello I wonder if anybody can help me I have the Fiat X250 van and it is left hand drive and I am after after headlight deflectors to change them to RHD so Iam legal in the UK after reading this months MMM showing you how to change them to LHD can anybody help me changing them to RHD,I look forward to your replys Best Regards Imlach

You don`t say which supplier has used the Fiat base. We bought a new Autotrail (therefore British) with the 3l auto on LHD, but the headlights were for a RHD vehicle (I was told) so the dealers put protectors with the masking on for our trip to Spain and we have plain ones for now we are back:-)(lol)

Tony Jones - 2010-05-14 7:09 PM

smifee - 2010-05-14 6:54 PM

Speaking with french camping caristes they told me that they didn't bother when visiting UK so now I don't when visiting France.

While I can see the common-sense and justice of this approach, it's not an argument I'd want to have with a Gendarme! But maybe your French is better than mine ...

I'm putting my faith in the 'old boy network'. It worked when I left a rucksack in a car park in Calais. :-D

Most of my night driving in France is on major roads often dual carriageways so it's not been a problem.

Archived