power steering pipes

webbocj

Probably one for Nick!!!! On my recent MOT, (X250 2.3), the examiner, who was very good, pointed out how close one of the main power steering pipes was to the steering pump pulley. On the test ramp it was relatively easy to see. Back home, parked on some sleepers, it appears not to be "close" but "touching". It is approx. 20mm dia. preformed shaped with some additional protection in that area. Still too close for comfort!! It's either been like that by design and OK and i,m over reacting or is it something that the many modifications could have disturbed. Off tomorrow, so could it could be the NOISEY GEARBOX (for FIAT) or the steering that fails, heading towards Italy so could drop it off. For good!!

chris.

Hi A Friend had a major problem a couple of weeks ago, returning from a weekend rally when his steering suddenly appeared to become almost jammed ie extremely heavy,. He managed to limp home, and contacted peugeot, who asked him to limp it down to them, a couple of miles. They diagnosed the the hose had become disconnected at the bottom end, dumping all fluid somewhere, so no power steering.

Replacement hose and bottom clip replaced and fluid topped up, but now question is has pump been damaged. No obvious damage presently noticed, but question still lingers. no explanation as to why hose failed, but still under warranty (x250 boxer base)

tonyg3nwl

Hi,

There was an issue with the power steering pipes being close to the pulley at one time. Fiat raised a recall campaign Number 5251 - Power steering pipe - check fixing and relocate if necessary.

I think they added a clip somewhere. Anyway, if you are in any doubt ask a dealer to check mentioning the campaign number 5251 and they can check if this is applicable to your vehicle. Any dealer or Fiat Customer services should be able to tell you if you phone them with the chassis number.

Jon.

I might as well list all the Fiat recall campaigns I have notes for at the moment.

Current Fiat fixes (not all VOSA safety recalls)

5209 - Gearbox bearing (3.0 litre).

5219 - Steering rack - lack of lubrication - VOSA recall

5220 - Starter motor

5221 - Corroding injectors. Treat with anti rust fluid.

5222 - ABS control unit cover

5223 - Front wiper cover. Ingress of water (VOSA recall)

5247 - Fuel injection reprogram - Engine Management System to stop a warning light coming on.

5248 - Starter fuse - the fuse uprated

5251 - Power steering pipe - check fixing and relocate if necessary.

I expect there have been more, but this is the only list I have at the moment.

Archived