Tyre inflation

rossifan

Can somebody put me right please!

Had my Bolero since July 2009 and really would like to get the tyre pressures correctly balanced

Have tried to inflate using a Halfords compressor but it did not want to know.Tried a petrol station but again would not inflate! How do lorries etc cope ?

Van's only done 3000 miles but would be happier if I could check tyres properly-they are roughly @ 70lbs/sq inch at present as set at dealership.Have purchased a decent gauge but can't get the pump bit sorted.

:-(

Hi, why dont you just go into any Tyre Dealer/Fitter were they always advertise "Free Tyre Check". They will check your tyres, pump them up to correct pressure and "Bobs your uncle". Of course slip the bloke a bob or two and you can always go back again. You wont even get your hands dirty.

There have been a number of threads on this list about tyre inflators over the past couple of years.

As a result of the discussion and advice I recently bought a Ring 700 on E-Bay. This has proved more than capable of producing pressures in excess of 80 psi.

I cant remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was about £37 with P&P.

cronkle - 2010-05-16 9:51 PM

There have been a number of threads on this list about tyre inflators over the past couple of years.

As a result of the discussion and advice I recently bought a Ring 700 on E-Bay. This has proved more than capable of producing pressures in excess of 80 psi.

I cant remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was about £37 with P&P.

http://www.green-lanes.co.uk/product/rac700/

but IMO the cable (3m) & hose (0.6m) lengths will be too short for the majority of Motorhomes, especially off-side rear & spare.

flicka - 2010-05-16 10:25 PM

cronkle - 2010-05-16 9:51 PM

http://www.green-lanes.co.uk/product/rac700/

but IMO the cable (3m) & hose (0.6m) lengths will be too short for the majority of Motorhomes, especially off-side rear & spare.

I should have said that I also bought a 12 volt extension lead from Road Pro so as to reach all of the wheels. This has heavy duty cable to cope with the voltage drop.

I doubt very much you need 70 psi pressure in your tyres. The axle weights requiring this pressure are above the max laden weights for the vehicle. They will be around 60 front and 65 rear maximum and possible a lot less depending how much laden weight you have.

Only way to be sure is to get your axles weighed at a weigh bridge when loaded up as you would for a holiday and ask the tyre manufacture for recommended pressures. Throw in the max laden axle weights for the vehicle as well. It is also a good idea to get weights so you know you are not overloading the Motorhome.

Rest assured if you are not overloaded, which is illegal anyway, then 70psi is more than enough.

I've got a 2007 Fiat based MH and because it doesn't have a spare it comes with a mini compressor and some stuff you inflate into a punctured tyre.

Anyway digressing , the compressor is right for the job of inflating to this level of pressure (I think mine are 75psi) and it did it no problems , took a while though.

So you could try a Fiat commercial dealer to see if they sell these as aftermaket parts? it works off the 12v electics and the power lead is probably 3-4m long (may be wrong as like most blokes never can get sizes right!!) but theres more than enough length and some to do the rear tyres

Tyre inflation pressures could start a thread to rival the dreaded judder!

When I picked up my Bessacarr on the X2/50 chassis, like the Bolero that started this thread, I asked Brownhills after a couple of weeks. They suggested 70psi all round, but recommended that I check with Fiat. The sticker on the door jamb said something like 4.5 bar, which I converted to 85psi (can anyone recommend a good dentist?). Anyway Fiat's helpline suggested 72psi which I've stuck with ever since.

Or am I just being Naive??? 8-)

I think it is the usual case of obtaining your axle loadings (Or assuming the maximum axle load, assuming you will never be overloaded) and dropping an email to the tire maufacturers.

90% of the tyres seem to be Michelin Camping, and if you contact Michelin ( http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/more/contact/20061205150539.html ) with a query stating loads, tyres size and type, they generally reply within 24 hrs.

Keep a copy of the email, Bottom line is that it is their product between you and the road, and with the R&D, production and testing of the tyres, they should be the ones to know the correct pressure.

Rgds

Archived