Advice on RAC Cover Please

Big Momma

With my new M'Home I got 3 years UK & European Breakdown cover through RAC which includes Homestart, Roadside & Recovery. This appears on the surface to be brilliant as it came as part of the package rather than an add on (although it may well be included in the overall price of the vehicle).

Has anyone else had experience of this service through RAC ?

It would save me about £100 or more on my insurance renewal if I didn't have to take out Breakdown cover. I have read the policy booklet and it appears to be the same level of cover that most other policies have.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but being of a cynical nature, not sure if I am missing something so am seeking other forum members experiences of receiving/using similar service.

The main thing to watch is how large is your van? It might be over the RAC specified limits (Length/Weight/Hight) on their standard European breakdown cover. The way around this is to take out the same RAC cover through the Caravan & Camping Clubs 'Arrival' scheme which does not have these limitations.

Ron

is it the Fiat Camper Assist cover you have?

RAC only provide specific cover for motorhomes or caravans (above certain limits) through affiliated partners , such as F C A or the Camping and Caravan Club.

If its the F C A product then its sort of a free cover in that you would not have paid for it out of your wallet but the whole costs of the Motorhome would have , its not something you could have said at point of sale you didn't want it and got a reduction.

sorry forgot to add.

most car manufacturers provide breakdown cover for new cars often with greater cover than the standard cover from the same breakdown provider.

You may find some conditions of cover but generally they are possitive.

RogP - 2010-05-17 9:56 PM

sorry forgot to add.

most car manufacturers provide breakdown cover for new cars often with greater cover than the standard cover from the same breakdown provider.

You may find some conditions of cover but generally they are possitive.

Yes you are right, it is the RAC Camper Assist cover. Am I right with my interpretation of the policy that it covers the same as buying Breakdown cover through say Safeguard or Caravan Guard ?

Hi,

Probably about 15 years ago, the RAC sent us their book of rules. That was the first I new that .....

There was a limit to the number of call-outs you could make.

If their mechanic told you you needed a new battery, and you didn't fit one. there would be a £50 surcharge if you called them again with a battery problem.

I don't know if they have since changed those rules, as we parted company at that time. But if you have bought a brand new vehicle, the above is probably academic.

Yes you are right, it is the RAC Camper Assist cover. Am I right with my interpretation of the policy that it covers the same as buying Breakdown cover through say Safeguard or Caravan Guard ?

to be honest the devil is in the detail as they say and you probably need to look at the full T&Cs to be sure which one fits your needs

Basically FCA is a product that is provided and serviced by Fiat from their Iveco call centre in Turin , RAC is technically a 3rd party contractor for those customers broken down in the UK or being repatriated back to the UK. Fiat take the details and then pass to local regional partners (in the UK that is RAC Commercial) .

FCA is also specifically for MHs on the Camper chassis and to a degree the weight and size limits are very different to RACs own T&Cs.

The Safeguard or Caravan Guard schemes are the Arrival product through the C&CC which is tailored to both the caravan and motohome markets. There are size limitations to be aware of on this scheme.

Whilst both are serviced by RAC in the UK there are actually different divisions within RAC (FCA being by the Commercial division which is why they can cater for larger vehicles within the cover). Whereas the Arrival scheme is by the 'orange' Patrols.

I have to say that the only thing letting down the FCA scheme is the Fiat bit , it can often take an unacceptable time for them to pass over the details to RAC Commercial which frustrates the customers who take it out on RAC often unfairly.

As said check out the Ts & Cs to see what meets your needs , bottom line you have the FCA cover for 3 years (subject to whatever conditions are applied) so you may find it suffices and where if differs from Arrival the money you saved over 3 years may also counteract that element.

Archived