Using Bio laundry liquid in the toilet cassette holding tank

ChasB

A fellow motorhomer has told me he uses Bio laundry liquid in the Thetford toilet cassette holding tank as a replacement for the blue chemicals. As anyone else heard of this? And does it work? Or his he “winding me up”?

ChasB - 2010-05-18 9:21 AM

A fellow motorhomer has told me he uses Bio laundry liquid in the Thetford toilet cassette holding tank as a replacement for the blue chemicals. As anyone else heard of this? And does it work? Or his he “winding me up”?

I have been using the Tesco one for a year and it really does work. I put in the same amount as I used to with 'blue'.

Guest Tracker

wots the point of washin yer poo

before you tip it down the loo

cos shiny sh1t is what we need

if all those microbes we do feed

they like it nice and fresh you know

so stir with Tesco's the way to go

don't let your turds be sad and blue

inject some b®io in your poo

I have been using Lidls Bio washing liquid for a while now, its a fraction of the price and works a lot better. Also used Lidls washing machine limescale remover in the cassette and that worked better than any of the (proper) stuff that cost approx. four times as much

fred grant - 2010-05-18 7:25 PM

fred cant bileeeeeeve it my luvvers.

wots the point of washin yer poo

before you tip it down the loo

i is sure sumone could finish off my ditty me ansums

derk, brian or clive????????? any takers?

Oh dearie me, who can it be with shiny poo and frothy pee?

Could it be some staid old Trooper

or just a Sooper Dooper Pooper? (lol) B-)

747 - 2010-05-18 11:33 PM

Hi fjmike,

If your poo is causing limescale deposits then I think it is time you saw your GP. :D

I assume you don't live in a hard water area.

It would be interesting to know if those that make fun of these useful sugestions, what produscts they use???.

Or are they frightened incase we then deride them for wasting their money??. Not that I would :-D

Hi fjmike,

Everything is hard round here, including the water.

As an alternative to bio liquid, you can use dishwaher tablets. Now to be honest, I am not exactly a new man and domestic affairs can be a bit of a mystery to me. However, I might be right in saying that you can get dishwasher tablets that are suitable for hard water. Try them instead.

If nothing else works, remove the Thetford completely and cut a hole of about 250 mm diameter in the floor of the van. This system has worked for British Rail for many years, so must be effective.

Be careful not to use the toilet when taking fuel on board, in case of a backfire. :D

Guest pelmetman
So what do you use in the flush tank? being a professional skin flint I am always looking to save money (lol)

A similar thread has been running on another forum, with a some posting the old adage "why spend thousands on a motorhome and then penny pinch elsewhere?"(maybe the posters have a vested interest). This got me thinking if there are any Chemists or such qualified people out there could sugest what magic ingedient is put in the commercial stuff that warrants the hefty price tag?? It sort of worked with the gassing myth, didn't it

fjmike - 2010-05-19 6:33 PM

747 - 2010-05-18 11:33 PM

Hi fjmike,

If your poo is causing limescale deposits then I think it is time you saw your GP. :D

I assume you don't live in a hard water area.

It would be interesting to know if those that make fun of these useful sugestions, what produscts they use???.

Or are they frightened incase we then deride them for wasting their money??. Not that I would :-D

I am going to try the Tesco product (no Lidl round here) I just could not resist a quip. Methinks toilet humour is something of a tradition on this site.

Bob :-D

Hello fjmike

Thanks for the link to motorhometoday.co.uk and it appears by all the posts on that site and this that I wasn’t being “wound up”. It’s a pity that a few individuals make fun of useful suggestions and resort to puerile toilet humour; but again each to their own. While their laughing at us perhaps as you say it helps them forget the price that they have just paid for chemicals. I’m not a penny pincher but if I can save a few euros on the blue for the loo I could spent them on the red for my glass; much better way to spend your cash!

Hello pelmetman

You ask …….So what do you use in the flush tank? being a professional skin flint I am always looking to save money……

The answer:- nothing as the electric flush draws water straight from the onboard water tank, so we use diluted flush tank chemical in an old spray bottle to keep the bowl fresh.

I think I will try Bio laundry liquid when we run out of the chemicals. We are off to the mediterranean coast of France in a few days time and we tend to empty the cassette holding tank every day. You can only but try!

My first question is what effect these products may have on the seals etc of the holding tank.  There have been reports that they are hard on the "rubber" components in washing machines, so accelerated hardening of blade seal etc may result.  Anyone noticed?

If Charles is emptying his holding tank every day, I wonder why he uses chemical at all.  It hardly has time to work before being dumped.  The idea is that it breaks down solids and paper in the tank, making disposal that bit less of an unpleasant hazard.

What evidence is there that the bio products work, to the extent that any of the toilet chemicals truly work, to break down solids and paper, as opposed to merely adding a perfume to the tank contents.

Finally, as a number of rural dump stations deliver to septic tanks, so requiring the use of "green" chemicals, what affect do bio washing products have on such systems?

We've got a SOG toilet system that only takes away the smell but we only use water in the cassette and as far as the contents go I've never had any problem emptying the cassette. I assume the actual motion, (pardon the pun!) of the van breaks things down) The advantage it that it can be emptied into any system.

It has been ideal in The Hebrides where the public disposal points don't allow chemicals. The campsite we were on in Glen Brittle doesn't have chemical loo emptying facilities but they allowed us to empty ours straight into the septic tank. Much to the annoyance of two other van owners who had additives, one "green" in theirs.

So if you really want to save money don't use owt. I think the tablets or whatever you use is only a perfume effect anyway.

Good questions Brian. But only time will tell, unless someone out there truly has the definitive answer!

But I must correct you Brian. I only tend to empty the holding tank every day when the weather is very hot near the Mediterranean coast of either France or Spain. Even with the sweet smell of chemical blue when the heat of the sun comes up so does the fermentation in the holding tank; hence my comments. So perhaps you are right it doesn’t have time to break down but it certainly smells sweater; so a sweet smelling Bio laundry liquid would work just as well.

Perhaps there is a mathematician out there who could calculate the savings by using Bio laundry liquid against blue chemicals over a twelve month period against the cost of a Thetford rubber lip seal RRP £11.57; a very easy task to replace.

We are all different in our ways so what suits one may not suit another.

Guest Tracker

ChasB - get off yer high horse - noone is laughing at you but many of us are capable of tackling a serious subject with a generous dose of humour!

If you only use water and 'forget' to add any chemicals the contents soon 'advise' you of the error of your ways - and certainly after 24 hours they do!

If you do empty the cassette every day I too would be tempted to go native and let the contents amuse themselves overnight in plenty of water without any additives!

Guest Tracker

I would not suggest tablets or even powder as the lumps and unmelted solids in cold water might clog something up that is best left unclogged!

I suppose that soluble asprin might prevent the loo becoming a pain in the bum to empty - if only!

I have been using bio liquid for about twelve months now and it has had no effect on seals, why would it, if you pour it in via the emptying spout it goes nowhere near them. I empty every couple of days normally and while I have not studied the contents in detail they do not smell when emptying nor do any smells come up into van, this is all I require. As to effect on septic tanks I have no idea but as laundry liquid is emptied into them anyway what does it matter if you add a bit more. Bio has another plus, in the past I have had problems obtaining blue or green liquid in some parts of Europe, especially Germany, while bio liquid you can get anywhere. It does not colour the contents either so not likely to be objections to whatever toilet system you empty it down.

Archived