Using Bio laundry liquid in the toilet cassette holding tank

ChasB

I can be serious when the need arises but I am struggling on this thread.

On another forum (which boasts of 45,000 members but shall be nameless), this subject has been done to death. The outcome is that many, many m/homers use bio, dishwasher tablets, fabric softener and many other similar products. There is no evidence that it damages rubber seals. If it was that bad, surely in time it would damage washing machine seals.

The `Blue` additives contain Formaldehyde and that is why they must NOT be poured into Septic tanks.

There you are. A solemn and sensible posting and I did not giggle once.

You will just have to take my word for that.

ps If easily offended, please think carefully of your subject matter.

I thankyou.

Guest pelmetman

Our van is 20 years old, and have still not replaced the seals, and is the old casette type which seems to be bigger than the new style.

I am keen to find anything that works and is cheaper than the usual stuff, we did try the organic stuff and found it a waste of time >:-(

Guest pelmetman

I forgot that new vans take it straight from the main tank so aditives can not be added.

The thing about the pink stuff it does help keep the pan clean, maybe to much information :$ but us people with a separate tank have the facility to add something to help things on there way............. without the !!!!!!!! (lol)

Come on Tracker you are slipping!

I feed you the line about the mathematician and you don’t use the old gag about the pencil.

As for being on a high horse. I need a high horse to accommodate the deep saddle bags that I will need for all that red wine I will be able to buy with the savings I’m going to make on the chemicals.

But on a serious note I do not dislike humour but on a post on a forum such as this humour should be connected with serious constructive answers to questions asked. Not just one line throw-away comments that pass for humour.

But of course that cannot be said of you; for you are know to be known throughout the motorhome world as the PORTA POTTI POET or when not on your travels the BEYOND THE BEND BARD.

Like you say “There are no right or wrong ways - just different!”

Guest pelmetman

Bingo! just found a load of dishwasher tablets for our dishwasher that broke down 3years ago, now I have even less incentive to get it repaired B-)

Now I just need to find something for the flush tank?

My wife works as a home carer and she has advised many 'old dears' to add the lidl bio to their commodes instead of the blue. Feed back is excellent, no high chemic or poo smells. And their pensions go a bit further!

regards

Allen

I’ve just had a long weekend away and although sceptical I’ve used Tesco Basics Bio laundry liquid at 95p a litre and yes it works fine. I still have a part used 4 litre own brand blue chemical and the price for that was £11.99. With Bio laundry liquid that’s a 2/3 saving but if I was using Agua Kem blue at £7.99 for 1 litre; that’s over £7 a litre.

• 5 years later...

Hi, my wife and I don't own a motor home, we are narrow boaters. I understand most motor homes access their waste tanks from a hatch in the outside of the vehicle, where as,the access to the cassette of our thetford loo is inside the boat, this can make loo smell a real problem.

We have tried various fluids and found the genuine thetford fluid to be the best, but it is expensive, especially if we have to buy it from a canal side chandler.

The use of laundry liquid as a cassette additive makes a lot of sense and makes a saving of £12 per litre in some chandlers but that's not all, little cheats like this (if they work) make me feel good and I will certainly try this one and let you know how it goes ( pun intended )

Regards J.

Archived