Arran

malc d

Has anyone been to the Isle of Arran at this time of year ?

It's a place I'd like to visit, with a mixture of wild and site camping, but I don't like to booking anything.

Anyone know if it's likely to be busy ?

thanks

Hi

Yes, we have been at this time of year but it is a few years ago now. We can recommend the campsite at Kildonan on the south east corner. We once spent whole days watching the seals a few yards away from the van. There is also parking at the pub in Kildonan for a fee. There are some wild camping spots if you have a small van but there are certainly enough camp sites. The Hebrides were very busy last summer because of the experiment to charge ferry fares the same per mile as if driving, but you should be OK until July.

I suggest you think about going over to Kintyre from Arran, that is equally interesting and we liked the camp site at Macrihannish, which was a CCC site but we understand is now private.

Good luck,

Peter

Guest Tracker

Apart from bank holidays it's likely to be quite quiet all except school holiday period (Scottish schools summer holidays used to start and end two weeks ahead of English schools) and I would not even worry about pre booking the ferry because even if you have to miss one because it's full (very unlikely) you can buy a ticket for the next one before it fills up!

Not been there - yet - but been to many other islands and they all have their own charms and all are more laid back than the mainland in our experience.

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it's worth visit.

Stayed on the Machrahanish site, in a tent, many many years ago, when it was a CCC site. Sadly we didn't see much then because the whole peninsula was shrouded by mist and horizontal rain for several days.

Lovely area though so I must give it another go.

:-)

Archived