Child Car Seats (Two years old, upwards)

tonyishuk

If you have the type that fits with a normal adult car seatbelt then put the child seat nearest to the outer wall of the motorhome near the window (assuming you have a double forward facing dinette seat). That way the seat can't 'swing' sidways off the inward located seat as the fixing of them with the adult seat belt doesn't stop sideways movement. You don't want a little dangler screaming whilst your driving!!! 8-)

If you have 2 needing child seats your front passenger may have to give up their seat to fit the other there (check the safety/legalities especially if you have a passenger airbag).

assuming you have the right seats the their ages and sizes firstly.

In our previous MH my son was in a full car seat which had a 3 point harness and the base of the seat was secured by the MH seatbelt using tension and a locking ratchet system.

This was fine as it kept the seat in place but because the seat cushions were a lot softer than my car it wasn't quite so good - we actually had one instance of the seat squab moving and his seat falling over - no harm done and he loved the rollercoster ride!!! - partly because of the compression of the squab meant it distorted its shape and didn't then sit correctly on the base.

He's now using just the booster seat which I'm less than happy with as it can move a bit in the MH. I'm trying to find a way to hold it in place by somehow securing it to the seat belt frame structure but without changing the integrity of that or the seat. I may have to look at a different booster just for the MH rather than the car one (that has isofix so not a problem in the car.)

What is the law with a child in the front passenger seat of a MH , I'm assuming the same as a car ?

RogP - 2010-05-19 12:09 PM

He's now using just the booster seat which I'm less than happy with as it can move a bit in the MH. I'm trying to find a way to hold it in place by somehow securing it to the seat belt frame structure but without changing the integrity of that or the seat.

Would cable ties work? Quick and easy to put on and cut off ... I hasten to add for the 'nutters' on the forum that I'm talking about securing the SEAT not the CHILD!!!! (lol)

Mel B - 2010-05-19 6:07 PM

Would cable ties work? Quick and easy to put on and cut off ... I hasten to add for the 'nutters' on the forum that I'm talking about securing the SEAT not the CHILD!!!! (lol)

good idea , he'd probably escape though!!!!!!

I was thinking something along the lines of the same material used for a seat belt but I could fasten to the seat then secure to the frame. I saw a program a few weeks ago about modifying a car for track use and they did something similar by using the roll cage as the seat belt anchor point rather than the fixed point to the chasis but that was for a full racing harness , bit ott for the MH?

Not sure but I just think something to stop the booster sliding off the seat will do.

Archived