TomTom 750 Live

kelly58

On our last trip to France my new 750 live started to have a mind of its own,taking me on Paege Motorways when I did not want to the unit kept freezing up switching itself off and then on again and on one occasion after switching itself back on again after locking up it tried to send me back to where I had just come from it about drove me nuts.

It has since been returned to TomTom for repair / replacement but the problem is we are off to France again this weekend and still no sign of my TomTom and they cannot tell me if and when a replacement will be sent to me.

Its enough to make you spit AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGHH

I wouldn't hold your breath.  Good products but a hit and miss regarding support.

Options are :-

1.  Go without a device and take a good map.  Maybe do some on-line planning with directions regarding the aires/campsites you'll be staying at and print off some crib sheets.

2.  Buy a cheap one from ebay and keep it as a spare (when the other one is fixed) or re-sell it on ebay when you get back.  Might only lose a few £££.

3.  Buy one from Halfords and take it back when you return from holiday stating why it was unsuitable . . . . my least favourite option.

4.  If you are taking a laptop and you have AutoRoute do your planning as you go and use it as a moving map.

Apart from that cancel the holiday until you get your device back - you spent too much time abroad anyway :-) :-) :-)

W2G

Apart from that cancel the holiday until you get your device back - you spent too much time abroad anyway http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Too much time abroad I don't think so need more time abroad to keep up with you Ha Ha

ps.I like the new lady in your life nice photo quite an improvement http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kelly58 - 2010-05-19 2:33 PM

ps.I like the new lady in your life nice photo quite an improvement

Can I have one please, the lady that is. I am hooked on TOM TOM my 740 is an essential part of my life on the move (subject to common sense and my sat nag alongside) I know I can do without it but the advance warning and lane information is brilliant and is an enormous help in foreign/strange parts(lol)Roy Fuller

ps.I like the new lady in your life nice photo quite an improvement http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ma's gone back east to visit her sister who's ill and this is my er 'niece'.  D'ya think she's a looker then . . . . I hadn't noticed 8-)

Ma will be back soon . . . . horray.  That'll be nice!!!!!!!

Way2Go - 2010-05-19 4:44 PM

Ma's gone back east to visit her sister who's ill and this is my er 'niece'.  D'ya think she's a looker then . . . . I hadn't noticed 8-)

Ma will be back soon . . . . horray.  That'll be nice!!!!!!!

Had'nt Noticed !!! seems like a job for "Specsavers"

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps not quite on thread but, I've been in France 7 weeks now and my TomTom has only let me down once. Possibly partly my fault. I'm aware that satnavs should be used in conjunction with a good road map and a lot of common sense. However, this week travelling from St Jean Pied de Port to Oloron Ste Marie I hit a slight snag. The road I was on seemed fine, wide with a nice dotted line down the middle. Turning a corner out of a village the road petered out into a 6ft wide track. I couldn't reverse at the time so I had to carry on for about 3km. The track got narrower and much much stepper; first gear all the way. I eventually found a turning spot and did a six point turn avoiding the 60ft drop.

So, I'm looking for a satnav which allows the input of vehicle dimensions. I saw online an Actis 7. Has anyone got experience of this device?

I know that it does not help your immediate problem but Garmin operate a fixed price repair programme and usually return either your unit repaired or an upgrade repaired unit within a week. In my case it was 4 days later.

It is a shame that an alternative well known maker appears not to offer such a good service.

Anyway if you need to buy another unit then maybee an alternative make would be a good idea, alternatively way2go's idea of buy and return could work.

A totally dishonest person might have bought a second item and immediately returned the faulty unit in the new box.. Thinking outsite the box bring up lots of alternatives, some of which are a bit naughty!!!! :-(

art338 - 2010-05-31 11:49 PM Way2Go Move house before Ma returns, you'll never get another chance like this again (ever) art

Trouble is, when you gets to my age you gets set in yer ways so I ain't sure about moving.  Besides, Ma's the one with all the money . . . . .

Guest JudgeMental

My garmin is acting strangely...The voice changes for UK Emily to a nasal and annoying American all on its own, OR no voice at all, and it occasionally freezes

Is there a unit yet that is more intelligent then the run of the mill sat navs? as they all seem pretty dumb taking you down inappropriate roads etc....... :-S

mike 202 - 2010-06-04 8:01 AM Hi, Thanks for the update, how did your trip go? well I hope and I guess you survived with maps. Seems that both Garmin and Tom Tom will look after you, time may be the only difference. Mike

Unforunately we had big problems of which all will be revealed later , but the weather was reasonable the places we stopped at were really good we have an onboard Bluaupunkt Lucca  rev camera / sat nav which I thought was a load of rubbish and never bothered with it having aways used a tomtom ,but it worked really fine although no poi's or safety camera's set to avoid toll roads the routing was 1st class , so in theory don't knock it untill you try it 1st 

JudgeMental - 2010-06-04 10:38 AM

My garmin is acting strangely...The voice changes for UK Emily to a nasal and annoying American all on its own, OR no voice at all, and it occasionally freezes

Odd thta, I had exactly the same problems, with emily suddnely going all -American, although I actually found that voice more easily understood. Never did get round to the French pronunciation though!! It also frequently froze, and in the end I bought a new TomTom950, as it had North American maps included.

I briefly used the new one in UK, and once i had got used to teh different operation to the GArmin, found it preferable.

We are now in Canada, and the TomTom has been invaluable - coudln't get round without it. Yes, there are some oddities, and even though we try to follow the birds eye map at junctions, we have occasionly been told to 'turn around whe npossible'....usually carrying on in the same direction until she eventually finds us another route wihtout having to do u-turns!

In terms of cost it was far cheapr and better to buy the new one, than hire one from the car hire company, who wanted something in excess of £35 per week, so for 4 weeks driving that would equate to around £140, and that is far more than the difference we paid to upgrde and get the North American Model over the UK/EUrope one.

Guest JudgeMental

I have the nuvi 770 which has the USA mapping as well as the European. contacted Garmin and advised that it needed a software upgrade via "updater" will just have to see if this works on next trip :-D

I will stick with garmin because the support is excellent, plus I like planning routes on my PC or laptop using "mapsource"

Have you tried the reset Eddie?  It can clear some oddities.  Turn it on and let it pick up the satellites, turn it off, and then slide the power key to the left as turning it on again, but hold it in the "on" position for at least 8 seconds.  After this, you may need to re-select you favourite dame!

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-05 12:55 PM

Have you tried the reset Eddie?  It can clear some oddities.  Turn it on and let it pick up the satellites, turn it off, and then slide the power key to the left as turning it on again, but hold it in the "on" position for at least 8 seconds.  After this, you may need to re-select you favourite dame!

Sorry to say that Ed at Garmin has moved to another department :-S

but have been sent this menu for reset and backup.......

- Make sure your unit is off,

- Place finger or thumb in the bottom right hand corner (of the screen) and press down firmly,

- Turn your unit on making sure that your finger/thumb is still in the corner of the unit,

- Once the unit powers up wait for a message to come up ‘Do you really wish to erase all user data?’

- Select yes and then agree to the terms and conditions and select your language to the one that you desire.

Please note that this will erase your favourites and recently found places

Once this is done please leave your unit outside in a stationary position for 30 minutes, if this is to have the best chance of working please do it away from building and in a clear view with the sky.

If you wish to back your user data up, please follow the instructions below.

This is only possible if you have a unit that can go into mass storage when connected to a PC or MAC.

Windows Operating System

1. Connect your GPS unit to a PC via USB cable

2. Open My Computer

3. Double click the units drive once it appears

4. Double click the Garmin folder

5. Double click the GPX folder

6. Select all files within this folder by highlighting them

7. Right click the selected files

8. Left click Copy

9. You can now Paste these files into another directory on your PC

kelly58 - 2010-06-04 3:46 PM

...........Unforunately we had big problems of which all will be revealed later , .............

Were these the problems what persuaded you to sell your van and get a caravan + car?  Must have been pretty severe to provoke that, plus comment about never setting foot in France again!  All so quick.  Whatever happened?

JudgeMental - 2010-06-05 2:00 PM
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-05 12:55 PM Have you tried the reset Eddie?  It can clear some oddities.  Turn it on and let it pick up the satellites, turn it off, and then slide the power key to the left as turning it on again, but hold it in the "on" position for at least 8 seconds.  After this, you may need to re-select you favourite dame!
Sorry to say that Ed at Garmin has moved to another department :-S but have been sent this menu for reset and backup....... - Make sure your unit is off, - Place finger or thumb in the bottom right hand corner (of the screen) and press down firmly, - Turn your unit on making sure that your finger/thumb is still in the corner of the unit, - Once the unit powers up wait for a message to come up ‘Do you really wish to erase all user data?’ - Select yes and then agree to the terms and conditions and select your language to the one that you desire. Please note that this will erase your favourites and recently found places Once this is done please leave your unit outside in a stationary position for 30 minutes, if this is to have the best chance of working please do it away from building and in a clear view with the sky. If you wish to back your user data up, please follow the instructions below. This is only possible if you have a unit that can go into mass storage when connected to a PC or MAC. Windows Operating System 1. Connect your GPS unit to a PC via USB cable 2. Open My Computer 3. Double click the units drive once it appears 4. Double click the Garmin folder 5. Double click the GPX folder 6. Select all files within this folder by highlighting them 7. Right click the selected files 8. Left click Copy 9. You can now Paste these files into another directory on your PC

That isn't what the instructions with mine said!  :-)  Mine say as I set out above, using the "on" switch.  Is yours still a 760T - or didn't you get a later replacement off Ed?  Either that, or there are two grades of reset, yours being the full reset.  I like the bit about it needing to lie down for 30 minutes afterwards, though.  Poor thing!  :-D

Guest JudgeMental
mines the 770 (same as 760 but with USA mapping as well) Yes it is a new one replaced last November I think......

Archived