Fiat Gearbox Mod + Fuel Consumption

gdf

Had the gearbox work etc done at the end of last year. Still some slight judder but certainly much slower in reverse -

BUT since then the fuel consumption is about 10% worse and when going forwards mph per 1000 revs is lower (OK I'm a saddo who drives on rev counter rather than speedo - hangover from driving coaches where speedo didn't work).

Anyone noticed similar? Have they changed final drive ratio?

Dave

(Van now at dealer with gearbox stripped down as it stuck in - guess what - reverse!)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been vagely wondering the same myself since having the full modifications done, but as the "job sheet" only showed the reverse gear being altered, I thought that I was imagining it.

However, while not noticing a difference in revs., the computer shows a worsening of the fuel consumption 0f 5-10 per. cent., and also seems to hang on to the higher gears at lower speeds, which could either mean a lower final drive, or as the engine was bedding in, (as I put moor miles on the clock), it could manage lower revs.

Without expending effort searching for them again, there are plenty of posts on this and other forums about the lowered final drive ratio following the reverse gear mod, quoting comparison MPH/1000rpm etc.

This enhances the lowered reverse gear after all, and Fiat/Peugeot aren't concerned about your motorway cruising comfort or fuel consumption

So, yes, I'm sure that you're now the proud owner of a lower final drive.

Sundowner - 2010-06-03 3:05 PM

However, while not noticing a difference in revs., the computer shows a worsening of the fuel consumption 0f 5-10 per. cent., and also seems to hang on to the higher gears at lower speeds, which could either mean a lower final drive, or as the engine was bedding in, (as I put moor miles on the clock), it could manage lower revs.

What engine/gearbox combination have you got?

I also have an Adria Twin, 2.3, six-speed. I can't say I've notice anything different since the modifications. I experimented some time beforehand as to fuel consumption, and found that there was a noticeable worsening above around 60 mph. If I keep to that on motorways, I can accept the low thirties per gallon, which seems reasonable.

I did a long trip the other week and fuel consumption hadn't noticeably changed since the tinkering by Fiat.

Also, the hanging onto the higher gears, was something I noticed well before the mods, and I really like that; it saves relentless changing. Again, nothing's changed there, either.

My Twin has still only done 11,700 after three years, so I'm unsure as to how well bedded in the engine is. However, general behaviour is the same pre and post modifications, other than a slower reverse.

Shaun

I filled my Fiat 130 6 speed up yesterday at Ardres south of Calais and drove home via Eurotunnel 210 miles and computer showed a reading of 34.1mpg the gearbox mod was done on 16/17 May this year the MH has now done almost 13k with a full up weight of 3.5 tonnes.

Most supermarkets in France are on AV 1.11e pltr Nationwide exchange rate yesterday was 1.198e = £1 Total on motorways were around 1.26e ltr

Archived