Drive away awnings

Nick Kirby

I bought a Movelite XL drive away awning and like many other motorhomers, I hardly used it. My next van came with an awning fitted so I sold the Movelite at a loss.

My story can be repeated a hundred times on internet forums. So, think carefully before you buy. Will I use it enough to justify the cost?

In order to connect it to the van, I had an awning rail fitted to the side of the van to slide the awning through. It cost me about £100. Unless you are extremely tall, you will need to carry steps, or something similar.

My advice is buy a second hand one, they come up for sale fairly regularly.

ps mine was an Elddis Autoquest 120.

We have a safari room for the Fiamma awning and couldn't be ***** to put it up. We recently bought a Movelite XL drive away awning and love it. 20 mins to put up and increase your living area whilst providing outside storage and preserving your pitch? Bargain.

Sssnake - 2010-05-27 12:16 AM

We have a safari room for the Fiamma awning and couldn't be ***** to put it up. We recently bought a Movelite XL drive away awning and love it. 20 mins to put up and increase your living area whilst providing outside storage and preserving your pitch? Bargain.

i bought a second hand steel pole awning off fleabay for £100 which does the same thing, but it is a bit of a wrestling match to erect and dismantle, it is also heavy and thats a drawback. we find we only take it now if we are away on one site for a week or more otherwise we take the double 'toilet tent' with us that acts as an outside store and just fits under the windout. ideal 5 mins. to erect and folds into a carrier bag size.

There was a J Rail fitted to our Elddis Autoquest 100 when we bought it but it is quite high - about 7 feet 6 inches off the ground - so the comment about steps is bang on.

We bought a Khyam Motordome Excelsior (had to get that rather than the Classic because of the height) and have made good use of it because many of our trips involve events where we stay for several days and need the extra room for reasons connected with the event.

The Khyam is probably the easiest of all awnings to erect and take down but it is somewhat bulky for transportation.

Graham

Have you considered either a Khyam Screenhouse or Screendome?  Basically quick erecting free standing tents, that could stand beside the van to provide sheltered outdoor space.  Both give full privacy via roll-up/zip-down walls on all sides, plus mesh panels on all sides that can also be rolled up if required. 

So, keep contents out of view, can be used like a gazebo for sun shading, but can also have the mesh panels down all round to keep the mozzies out on warm evenings.  Perfick!  :-)  See here: http://tinyurl.com/34u5ml3

• 1 month later...

We have a new Geist 6900. We need to buy some sort of driveaway awning for extra space when family are with us. The dealer tried to sell us a safari room but A. they had trouble fitting it and B. the legs block both a side locker and the gas locker so we told them we wouldn't have it. We have an Omnistor fitted awning. Any recommendations (or ones to avoid) would be greatly appreciated. Need to get it in the next 3 weeks. The 'van is 2.62 metres high.

Thanks - in hope!

Guest pelmetman

We bought a Maestro last year, its one the heavy duty types.

My thinking was that we go away with friends who are tuggers and they are not keen on moving on more than once a week, so we figured if we are on site for that length of time its worth putting up the awning, and it does give us alot more space, plus being drive away we do not have dismantle it every time we went off site, which would be the case if we had bought the sides and front for our Fiamma.

Another thing I have noticed with their awning which is the in the bag type fixed to the awning rail, and made of the same fabric as the Fiamma is the condensation they get (?)

The Maestro is heavy and we have a box trailor now which we take all our extra clobber in if we are staying on one site for a week or more.

Off with our friends soon to a Ukulele festival, we take the big bbq from home bikes awning and I am thinking of taking the standard lamp from the lounge to put in the awning, we allready have a Turkish rug and Chandelier (lol) (lol)

Archived