Truma disaster

ken nugent

Hi

We have 2003 challenger MH with a Trumatic heating system or does this translate into traumatic as we have been trying desperately to stop this what we now know to be a badly designed piece of tin from rattling and squeaking like something demented. In the end I read the instruction book and decided to remove the front cover, because I was convinced that there must be loose parts inside it, but know all the noise is coming from the front cover which is sort of held in place by pieces of bent tin and a strange spring clip arrangement, which when in place can not possibly stop all these metal parts from rattling. Does anyone know of any modifications to stop this problem as I am about to put a screw in each corner and screw it direct to the frame, which is what I would have thought would be the simpliest and most effective route for the manufacturers to have taken. Am I right in assuming that this Truma equipment is Germany, if so I am very suprised at the poor and badly designed method of locating the front panel, with metal to metal and plastic to plastic.

Ken Nugent

We had a metallic, tinny rattling which we finally traced to the Truma fire, having eliminated practically everthing else. I too investigated by removing the front panel, but to no avail. My friendly local dealer fixed it, but since it doesn't rattle any more I have been reluctant to see exactly what he did. He mentioned the fins on the cover & I think he may have ground them down so they don't touch the fire behind.

johngee - 2010-05-21 5:00 PM

We had a metallic, tinny rattling which we finally traced to the Truma fire, having eliminated practically everthing else. I too investigated by removing the front panel, but to no avail. My friendly local dealer fixed it, but since it doesn't rattle any more I have been reluctant to see exactly what he did. He mentioned the fins on the cover & I think he may have ground them down so they don't touch the fire behind.

Exactly our experience with a new van. Chelston fixed it and they said it was to do with the fins and likewise I am dreading the day when I have to replace the battery for the gas igniter.

Hi,

The real and unresolvable problem with these heaters is the fact that they were designed for use in caravans and the fact that they rattle on the move is irrelevant. One would have thought that after all the years they have been installed in motorhomes that the installers would have recognised the problem but apparently not. I'm quite a fan of the functionality of the Truma convection heater as they are quiet at night and need very little 12 volt input but the almost unavoidable travel noise makes them a big NO NO.

Bill Ord

In our other van we had one of these and I did two self fixings to stop the noise. I got some heat resistant cord from a heating engineer and wrapped it round the wire from the "dial" where it goes down inside the fire and alongside the fins. The second involved drilling a hole through the meatal cover and a self tapping screw through the hole into the wall behind the fire. That pretty much cured it, although eventually we managed to "filter out" the noise until we sold the van. Now we can't hear it at all!

Hi

thanks all who replied, I have gone down the route of screwing to the frame at each corner, managed to use the existing flange so the screws dont show, have not had chance to road test it yet, so I hope its fixed it, if not I will remove it and throw it all in the bin.

Thanks ken

I had same problem and could not solve it even after seeking advise on it then one day i thought i would take another look and blow me it was so self evedent. The alloy fins on the left hand side had "V" chips on the fins which was the front of the fires fins touching it.Bent the fins a bit and now comepletly solved.

Archived