Millau Aire ? Safety

tonyg3nwl

Hi All

The site we visited was five or six years ago. (before the bridge opened) It was probably the one refered to as a car park. As we only wanted water we followed the sign with the toilet drop on. As I remember it had a small building, (may have been a toilet), with tap, and the electric box. We did'nt hang around long enough to investigate.

Marcob

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
david lloyd - 2010-05-24 7:06 PM

We always use a mixture of sites and aires but the only time we have had any problem was on a site at Guines near Calais.

Two years ago we flirted with a caravan/camper combination and stayed at the site on our first night after the tunnel. We stayed in the caravan and the camper was completely empty, parked at the side.

Getting ready to depart the next morning found the driver's door lock had been forced, all the cupboards rifled but, of course, nothing taken. The door could only be locked from the inside and cost £60 back in UK to fix.

David

Tough luck David! I reported 3 other thefts I read about from this site in the last year or two earlier on in this thread *-)

The place to stay is the one with the pitches delimited by wooden posts. This is well used and we felt very safe when we stayed and were happy to leave the van and walkinto town. There are no sevices here; services are on the car park by public toilet block. This is the "offical" aire only in so much as it is the service point. Previously this, together with the aire de repos mentioned by Brian were the offical aires on which to stay. Neither were great. We have in the past stayed on the car park, the aire de repos is pitch black at night with cars pulling in and out. When we stopped we were on our own on the car park, but later that night a French van, with lady on her own, parked very close one side and an Italian van very close the other. To be honest we were happy to stay on our own but clearly others were concerned and therefore would not suggest as a good place to stay unlike the new aire.

robertandjean - 2010-05-24 8:58 PM

The place to stay is the one with the pitches delimited by wooden posts. This is well used and we felt very safe when we stayed and were happy to leave the van and walkinto town. There are no sevices here; services are on the car park by public toilet block. This is the "offical" aire only in so much as it is the service point. Previously this, together with the aire de repos mentioned by Brian were the offical aires on which to stay. Neither were great. We have in the past stayed on the car park, the aire de repos is pitch black at night with cars pulling in and out. When we stopped we were on our own on the car park, but later that night a French van, with lady on her own, parked very close one side and an Italian van very close the other. To be honest we were happy to stay on our own but clearly others were concerned and therefore would not suggest as a good place to stay unlike the new aire.

Yes a great Aire safe and van protected by barriers.

1669344837_js_france0810015(500x375).jpg.a195dfce4a7081528e086e50919a67f5.jpg

JeffersonCampervan - 2010-05-24 9:14 PM Just a note - we stayed a little south of Millau last trip in this neighbourhood, just off the autoroute - a fascinating Templar town 'La Couvertoirade ' with a 6 Euro aire (IIRC). Pics at the top of page: http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/2008Page3.html

You did well to find that, Frank!  We were there last spring.  Fascinating.

We done two nights at Millue on Rhue de la Saunerie N44 O5.750' E003 04.944' last week it was packed and several vans could not get in, as said there is no services there but one round the block has N 44 05.695' E002 09.475.As for possible trouble we stayed in some remote Aires on our own and all was well except for Lamotte Beuvron N47 35.887' E002 01.513' this is a lovely aire which takes 3 (lol) there were 15 of us nose to tail all French .Lots of people till late at night playing boules then later in night heard a noise on our van and now have offside headlight and indicator lense cracked , coincedent may be.

Tomo3090 - 2010-05-22 1:05 PM

My comments about Rouen on the other thread were to just give the reminder to be careful about what's going on around us because I know I'm sometimes guilty of being to relaxed about it, and what happened was a reminder. We have since used aires and will continue to do so. Just as we have used sites, even those where we have spoken to people who have had problems themselves and not just "Urban Myths" about places.

As far as I'm aware Rouen doesn't have an aire and is not mentioned in the official French book.

The parking on the quayside is however on the campingcar info website as a place where you are able to park overnight. That alone. It's not an aire as such.

We stayed there a year or two back and although a little noisy into the small hours with local youths congregating there it felt perfectly safe.

Great for walking into town though.

Archived