Switzerland crossing - non-motorway

silverbike

We hope to be heading for Italy in September, Lake Maggiore initially. Plan A is to head towards Geneva, take the route south of the lake (France), into Switzerland and travel via Mesigny and Sion then over the Simplon pass. Considering the short stretch of motorway (about K120) are the non-motorway roads reasonable? We won't be coming back through Switzerland so will have no other use for the vignette.

Thanks

In simple terms, you'll have to pay for the vignette, the Mont Blanc tunnel, or the Frejus tunnel, or take the long loop round via Aix, Nice and Genoa.  At a rough guess I'd think the overall cost with a vignette would be cheaper.

If you don't like any of them, what about going to Briancon via Lyon and Grenoble, and then taking the Montgenevre pass to Cesana Torinese, then Susa and Turin and A4/A26 to lake Maggiore.  No tunnel tolls, and no vignette, but a bit further round?  Pass stated to be good and well graded, but popular with trucks.

The route that Brian suggests is one that I can recommend. After leaving Grenoble you have to climb the Col do Lautaret before reaching Briancon. I believe Lautaret is higher than the Col de Genevre which then takes you into Italy. Whether I am right or wrong about the relative heights matters little as both have, to my mind, spectacular views.

The road tends to be quite windy but I would suggest that it is not a route that you would want to hurry anyway.

Another great route, but lots of bends is take the way you plan but after the French/Swiss border head for Martigny then over the Grand St. Bernard down to Aosta, avoid the Grand Bernard tunnel and drive over the pass. The roads off the Swiss autoroutes this way are fine. Autoroutes in Switzerland are anyway easy to avoid.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. We shall certainly look at your suggested alternatives. We're driving an Autosleeper Symbol so under 3,500 kg and about 5.6ish metres long. Last year going to Venice we crossed via the Brenner on the old road and the Col du Mt Cenis coming back (avoiding the Frejus tunnel)- both good experiences.

So who can tell me what the Simplon Pass is like? I'm still looking at this as it's a more direct route to Lake Maggiore.

Never been over the Simplon but th C.C. book 2 states 'maximum road width 7m, maximum vehicle width 2.5m, an easy reconstucted modern road 13 miles long, continuous ascent to summit, good views, surface better on Swiss side. Open May to end October may be closed for periods outside this period. Max. gradient 11%. Looks fine from that and caravans are not banned so must be OK. hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
silverbike - 2010-05-23 8:15 AM

So who can tell me what the Simplon Pass is like? I'm still looking at this as it's a more direct route to Lake Maggiore.

We used it 3 years ago with an A-Class Hymer, just under 6.50m long including bikerack, about 2.25m wide excluding mirrors. Had no problems, other than poor visibility, and no views at all when we got to the top due to the rain :-S

That was in the middle of June, and there was still loads of snow everywhere, but the road itself was clear.

You should have no problems at all with your vehicle. We saw caravans using it too.

Coming back from Monza,we use the Simplon every year in August.we have left monza early morning,and got to calais late in the evening........ Vallorbes.Pontarlier,Besacon,Chalons sur Marne,.....Citroen 3 litre van.I find it a very good route either way....Dave

• 4 years later...

Last week we tried our first attempt at a toll free route from Italy to France crossing through Switzerland.

It was very successful, travelling from Pettenasco on Lake Orta to Baume-les-Dames in around six hours.

Didn't want to buy a vignette for one day as it expires in January so no good for next year.

We did cheat slightly and use the Simplon motorail train tunnel which cost 22 Swiss francs which we had in loose change from a previous trip to Switzerland. It avoided the Simplon Pass which is a relatively easy crossing in a MH.

Once in Brig, we took the N9 via Martigny and Lausanne which runs parallel to the toll road.

Crossed into France just south of Pontarlier.

You might also consider going up the Simplon pass to Brig, then travel along the 19 East to just past Oberwald.take the 6 over the pass via Grimselee to meet the 11 at Inertkirchen and along to Interlaken. We travelled that road in June 2012 by car. We did notice plenty of HGV's on the Simplon pass. The other pass just after Oberwald near Gletsch is windy but in excellent condition. I would have no problem with an MH on that road. You will be rewarded with some of the most spectacular views you can find in Switzerland.That pass has in my opinion far superior views than the Simplon.

Hope this helps.

Archived