Motorhome Cover

zaria123

Does anyone use a full cover for their motorhome.

We want to buy one as we don't have any indoor storage, and electric cables running overhead at home which translates in to lots of birds, and lots of time cleaning and polishing!

If anyone uses a cover, can you recommend?

Thanks

Alan

Yes we use a full cover and would not be without it, however you will find polarised views (as with lots of personal choices) on the subject. My only advice is this is one case where you definately get what you pay for in terms of whether it will damage your paintwork or not. Ours is a ProTec and it has been perfect in use and does exactly as it says with no damage whatsoever.

Bas

Hi Zaria

My only observation is that if you suffer from lots of bird droppings, you'll then end up having to clean the cover which, I would think, won't be as easy as a 'rigid' motorhome roof.

As Basil has said, I believe you very much do get what you pay for. Whatever cover you do decide to go for you'd better ask what they 'guarantee' in terms of bird dirt damage. Someone we know has a 'new' tent but unfortunately they put it away without realising there was some bird poo on it ... the tent is virtually useless as it has made the material go brittle where the dirt was left on to 'fester'.

Are you able to invest in a more rigid 'car port' type cover? Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Hi Folks and thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I haven't room for a car port. I do have lot of garage space for my classic cars but unfortunately height is limited.

Protec is the cover I had found on MMM Magazine, and I have emailed them for a quote which I expect will be around £400-£500.

I have experience with other outdoor and indoor covers which as you mentioned marked the paintwork on one of my classic cars, and created mildew in another, as a result they are all now stored indoors in 'Permabags' now which protect the paint and monitor moisture levels.

What I was worried about was damage to the paint, so thats great to know the Protec Cover has been sucessful.

I do have access to industrial size washing machines, so I wonder if a protec cover can be washed if needed.

Thanks again

Alan

Hi Alan, the Protec is also fully breathable so you should not have a mildew problem. I was very hesitant to buy one as I too have had bad experiences with classic car covers.

The only thing I would say is make sure that only the inner soft covering contacts any paintwork as I noticed that where the lower edge seam was doubled back (putting the outside to the inside) crosses the wheeltrims it did start to rub, I now remove them so that they do not become permanantly damaged. In my case that was the only part of the outer fabric that touched any paintwork.

Bas

Guest peter
And you won't use your van as often, as it's such a palaver removing it each time. Especially if it's raining.

Alan,

I use a Pro Tec cover, mainly to stop the 'green algae' forming on the roof etc., (it Rains a lot in West Wales in the Winter) I thought it was a bit expensive when I bought it, but it has lasted for 6 winters albeit with self repairs (a big bit of spare fabric was supplied,in 2004 anyway) the wear happens in strong winds (we get a lot of those too !) where the 'Sharp bits' of the van rub the cover, and we have a roofrack which used to fill up with water, I now stretch luggage elastics across it and put a couple of beach balls in for good luck, so no duck pond (or wear) anymore.

Another tip, always make sure the van is clean before you cover it, otherwise the dirt gets 'polished in' by the soft action of the lining and is a devil to get off.

There are cheaper brands of cover, to consider, but i have no experience of them. And what Peter says is valid if you intend to use the van through the winter, but it only takes 5 minutes to take it off the van (it takes longer to wrap it up and stuff it back in the bag). I have had no trouble with Bird poo, (and we have 'Sniper' seagulls here too) it just washes off in the rain.

After re-reading this I might have put Pembrokeshire in a bad light ??

It also has some of the best Beaches in the World, and is pretty relaxed about Motorhome Parking, the Coastpath is spectacular too !

Ray ;-)

peter - 2010-05-23 11:07 PM

And you won't use your van as often, as it's such a palaver removing it each time. Especially if it's raining.

Completely disagree with this comment. It takes minimal time to take off though slightly longer to put back on. It does not stop our use at all and if anything we have more time to use the van as we don't waste time cleaning it just wash off any grit when we return and cover, all nice and clean ready for next time in our case rarely a week goes by without use.

Agree with the storage comment in the previous post but only if it is wet, in which case it just goes in the bath to drain off and dry for when we return.

Bas

Guest peter
Bit of a contradiction there Basil. You say you don't have to wash it before you go, but do so on your return. Ergo, you wash it, so it makes no difference when. You must have strong arms, with humping that cover on and off. Me........I've got better things to do with my time and it only takes 30 minutes to wash the van anyway. :D

No contradiction at all Peter, I said wash of any grit, if there is no grit it don't get washed off. In my book there is a world of difference between a quick spray off with a hose and a full wash and clean! :D :D :D

Bas

Archived