Stinky battery!

Mel B

Mel B - 2010-05-29 7:19 PM

We removed the passenger seat this morning - what a blooming pratty job that was!!!!!

8-)

When we eventually managed to 'unearth' the Chausson installed leisure battery, we found that it is a Vechline 92ah one, looking it up on the web it appears to be the same as this one (just without the handles).

battery

Which basically says:

Starter battery 92 Ah VECHLINE - Full Start - Battery full liquid automotive quality, also used as auxiliary battery.

PERFORMANCE:

Number plates for higher maximum power - Example: 850 A for a 92 AH battery -

RELIABILITY / SECURITY: a micro-porous separator bag to prevent short circuits (the most common cause of failure).

Maintenance-free battery with the use of hybrid alloys.

Cover vented central to evacuate gas outside.

Grates gravity flow, reducing internal corrosion.

PRACTICE:

Standard dimensions compatible with most vehicles.

Low height for easy installation.

Integrated handle on lid.

Elbow and overflow pipe provided recyclable 95% -

Dimensions: 354 x 175 x 190 mm.

Weight: 23.5 kg

Hi Mel

I have not got a cure for your stinky battery But,

with regards to your battery under the seat I sent a tip in to MMM a couple of years ago about this subject

it has always been a dread of mine to have a vehicle with this foe maintainance purposes and unfortuanatley mine has got the same and when I wanted to fit second battery the only place was under the passenger seat and as I had to take both seats out as the first battery was right in the middle of the seat box.

I looked at this with the seats out and realised that if I fitted the batteries and there box right at the back of the seat box when the seats are refitted I could check batteries with the seats pushed as far forward as possible don't know if this helps for maintenance purposes in the future.

Terry

Mel B - 2010-05-29 7:19 PM

We removed the passenger seat this morning - what a blooming pratty job that was!!!!!

8-)

When we eventually managed to 'unearth' the Chausson installed leisure battery, we found that it is a Vechline 92ah one, looking it up on the web it appears to be the same as this one (just without the handles).

battery

Which basically says:

Starter battery 92 Ah VECHLINE - Full Start - Battery full liquid automotive quality, also used as auxiliary battery.

PERFORMANCE:

Number plates for higher maximum power - Example: 850 A for a 92 AH battery -

RELIABILITY / SECURITY: a micro-porous separator bag to prevent short circuits (the most common cause of failure).

Maintenance-free battery with the use of hybrid alloys.

Cover vented central to evacuate gas outside.

Grates gravity flow, reducing internal corrosion.

PRACTICE:

Standard dimensions compatible with most vehicles.

Low height for easy installation.

Integrated handle on lid.

Elbow and overflow pipe provided recyclable 95% -

Dimensions: 354 x 175 x 190 mm.

Weight: 23.5 kg

Hi Mel

I have not got a cure for your stinky battery But,

with regards to your battery under the seat I sent a tip in to MMM a couple of years ago about this subject

it has always been a dread of mine to have a vehicle with this foe maintainance purposes and unfortuanatley mine has got the same and when I wanted to fit second battery the only place was under the passenger seat and as I had to take both seats out as the first battery was right in the middle of the seat box.

I looked at this with the seats out and realised that if I fitted the batteries and there box right at the back of the seat box when the seats are refitted I could check batteries with the seats pushed as far forward as possible don't know if this helps for maintenance purposes in the future.

Terry

Hi Terry

Unfortunately we have swivel seats so the swivel plate means we can't see the battery or get to the plugs to check it, other than squinting through the front of the seat base to look at the levels through the semi-translucent casing. They really don't think about how you're supposed to check them when they're in place do they! :-S

Just want to confirm it has filler caps and they are at back of the top of the battery (screwed in ones). If so looks like a full Calcium starter battery and probaly made by Banner Batteries which are very good.

It is a starter battery but has the capability of light leisure use.

I would estimate you will get about 100 to 150 deep discharges to about 50% depth of discharge (dod) where a full calcium quality leisure type battery would give over 300 to 60% dod.

Seems a shame to dicard ths battery as go lots of useful life in it, but what to match it with is a problem. Shall wait to see what your 110Ah is and if it can be rescued and is suitable to pair up with the Vechline would continue with it. If the 110Ah cannot be rescued I would be inclined to go for a really cheap Calcium leisure battery. Next time they fail then replace both with quality leisure batteries...just thinking allowed (edit - or even aloud!!) here!

2nd edit -- can't find any really low cost leisure batteries suitable with 110 Ah. A lot wil depend on your power requirements. Fingers crossed the 110 Amp has recovered and is safe to reuse. A case of try it and see I think and keep an close eye on it initially for any gassing and water consumption. The danger is you get a repeat of what has happened over a short period of time and running low on electrolyte can be potentially quite dangerous.

The advantage with a full calcium battery (no maintentance) type compared to a low maintenance type is shorts in cells are less likely as the lead which falls off the plates forms crystals combined with the calcium which do not conduct. In a low maintentance type with antimony in the plates the lead deposits are conducting and can short out the plates along with dentrites which form through the plate seperators.

• 1 month later...

Update on Stinky .... it's dead! :-(

Whilst initially it appeared to be working fine and holding a charge - hubby had been checking it regularly - whilst we were away last week the leisure batteries didn't appear to be as highly charged as they should be, so, after some deliberations, we disconnected the 2nd battery just leaving the original leisure battery connected. The following day we found that the original battery had a much better charge in it so it basically confirmed that, whilst the 2nd one had recovered somewhat, it had fallen over completely and died, with no chance of resuscitation this time round. :-|

We left it disconnected whilst we got back home and today hubby called into the motorhome dealer who installed it originally just over a year ago and he said that he'd had reports that some of them were faulty and the design had been changed and they were now much more robust (and expensive!), however, as the battery had a 2 year warranty on it, he changed it without question or extra charge (no pun intended! :D ). We would've been happy with an 85 amp one instead of the 110 amp one we originally had, as the 85 amp would have been a closer match for the existing leisure battery, but he said he had to change like for like, so 110 amp it is.

Some info about it:

. 2 Year Warranty

. "Magic Eye" Charge Level Indicator

. Special Thick Plates (With Added Carbon Fibre)

. Unique Kamina Lid And Venting System

So the question now is do we put it in, do we just continue as we are with 1 leisure battery, do we try to swap it for an 85 amp one, sell it and by a smaller one .... decisions, decision, decisions .... :-S *-)

BATTERY.jpg.d0d8d203f39844b65d22e087ea1fffd3.jpg

Mel

Haven't had time to read all this thread!!

As an owner of an equivalent MH I emailed the Italian manufacturer of the electronics Trigano (Chausson) use. They advised me not to add a second battery unless separated.

On our MH the second battery feeds the entertainment side and the existing battery the habitation electrics. The solar panel controller has a second output for this battery and also we have installed an electronic split charge relay so that when the voltages rise on the existing installation the nattery has charged.

Nearly two years and over 300 days thankfully without problems.

Archived