What is a motorhome?

Brian Kirby

So here’s a little puzzle.  What really is a motorhome?  It seems that for some it is primarily a means of transport, but with an accommodation unit attached, while for others it is primarily an accommodation unit, but one that can be driven around.  Same thing then?  Well, in terms of playing with words, more or less, but when it comes to choosing your ideal vehicle, very definitely not.  Many ask for suggestions as to which van they should choose.  Should they, perhaps, begin their considerations at this more fundamental level?

If you see a motorhome primarily as a means of transport, you will tend to prioritise its mechanical features when choosing.  You will expect adequate power, the ability to overtake, good hill climbing performance, smoothness, good road manners, good manoeuvrability, good economy, a suspension that does not knock out your fillings, good lighting, good brakes etc etc.  In short, a vehicle that will take you from A to B with reasonable efficiency: that goes when you want it to go, goes where it is pointed, and stops when you want it to stop.  It will carry a unit of accommodation in which you can sleep, cook, eat, and relax, in a reasonable, comfortable, secure, environment.  But, you will not permit the accommodation to compromise the vehicle.  If it wallows and sways down the road, yaws round roundabouts, pants up hills, slews round bends, and wanders endlessly around on straights, it will quickly be rejected.

If, on the other hand, you see a motorhome primarily as accommodation, its interior furnishings and layout will take priority.  Being able to enjoy the view from within, to comfortably see the TV, to have somewhere to lounge, to accommodate friends, to store the drinks, will take priority over its mere mechanical attributes.  The colour of the interior will matter more, the tone of the wood, the colour of the fabrics, the presence of curtains; you will be more likely to want carpet than vinyl on the floor.  You will, or course, want the same functional comforts as those who prioritise the vehicle, but you will not allow its driving characteristics, or performance, to compromise its comfort.  You will forgive its wallowing, swaying, yawing, panting, slewing, and wandering progress, because when it is parked it will again become that warm, comfortable, cosseting, familiar, abode that you treasure.

In short, is a motorhome a small but luxurious hotel suite that you drive around, or is it a sophisticated vehicle whose secondary function is to transport a glorified tin tent?

Ideally, of course, it should be both, but does anyone actually own this perfect fusion of vehicle and residential comfort?  Do you?  :-)

To me it is all one big compromise.

The home part of motorhome implies a similar degree of comfort as found at my main residence. So therefore it’s a campervan to me.

I was amused when we bought our current vehicle. The salesman only ever used the term motorhome exhorting the many comfort features. As soon as the vehicle was in need of the service department it was referred to as a ‘van.

“Yer ‘van's ready for collection”

Maybe the Americans have a better use of the language (what!!) with the term Recreational Vehicle. Isn’t that what most of use have? A vehicle we use for recreation.

Although the Wikipedia definition of a Class C motorhome leads me to believe I’ve had a sheltered life.

“They are characterized by a distinctive cab-over profile, the "cab-over" containing a bed or an "entertainment" section. Also referred to as "mini-motorhomes". In the UK, the cab-over is known as a Luton peak or Luton body.”

Will somebody please tell me what entertainment activities can be conducted in a Luton?

My spell checker does not recognise motorhome so a campervan it is.

To develop Brian's question a little - is it (a motorhome/campervan) a means to an end or an end in itself? By which I mean, is it purely a funtional device for comfortable, independent leisure or is it (the motorhome) an end in itself? Is it one of those activities where the equipment becomes a hobby in its own right - whether you actually use it or not?

Doug

i agree a motorhome is a bit of both has to be functional inside and out ,has to look and feel right inside to keep the ladies happy and has to perform well look smart and be comfortable to drive for us lads :-D however apart from this my box on wheels is a magical place, somewhere we can be away from work all the stresses of family life ( elderly parents ) and recapture some of our youth and fun in life with no cares or worries and no mobile phone, NOW that is heaven and priceless and i have found it in my present unit (lol) thats until we go to malvern who knows whats round the corner (!) (!)

I thought my last Motorhome was the perfect vehicle, and at the time it was. I have just bought my new Motorhome and we want for nothing, in fact it has been called 'a hotel on wheels' by freinds. So, yes I have the perfect van at this moment in time, the mechanical bits do what I want/need them to do and the accommodation has everything I could need whether away for a short weekend or on our summer month long trip. Will this be the perfect vehicle in another 5 years time, ask me then :D

Spot on Mike [Rapidoman]. A motorhome is the nearest we will get to heaven before we retire from living. I'm just hoping that 'upstairs' is a tad more spacious and nobody will park right next to me.

On the road it has to be safe and I have to be able to drive it safely. For accommodation, I just need to be able to have a piece of cake, make a decent cup of tea, and have a wee. The last two preferably without wetting myself.

Spot on Mike [Rapidoman]. A motorhome is the nearest we will get to heaven before we retire from living. I'm just hoping that 'upstairs' is a tad more spacious and nobody will park right next to me.

On the road it has to be safe and I have to be able to drive it safely. For accommodation, I just need to be able to have a piece of cake, make a decent cup of tea, and have a wee. The last two preferably without wetting myself.

Guest JudgeMental
snobbyafghan - 2010-05-25 11:27 AM

To develop Brian's question a little - is it (a motorhome/campervan) a means to an end or an end in itself? By which I mean, is it purely a funtional device for comfortable, independent leisure or is it (the motorhome) an end in itself? Is it one of those activities where the equipment becomes a hobby in its own right - whether you actually use it or not?

Doug

I think this is what happens with a lot of owners, it becomes a womb on wheels!lol second home what have you. Today for instance looking at some pretty miserable photos of camping in North Africa (sorry) Thinking to myself, for the same sort of money you can fly to S/E Asia and have a superb holiday in a stunning enviroment......absoloute bonkers! lol. The same comparisons go for wintering in southern Europe......

For us it is an escape, we work from home and I start around 6am and finish around 11pm.

The computer is here all day and I probably only leave it for around 3hrs total, so to get away from the house and all its contents is just brilliant.

Going on Friday to Brittany for 10 days and can't wait, I would definitely sell the house before the Motorhome. (lol) (lol)

Mandy

JudgeMental - 2010-05-25 6:37 PM

snobbyafghan - 2010-05-25 11:27 AM

Doug

I think this is what happens with a lot of owners, it becomes a womb on wheels!lol second home what have you. Today for instance looking at some pretty miserable photos of camping in North Africa (sorry) Thinking to myself, for the same sort of money you can fly to S/E Asia and have a superb holiday in a stunning enviroment......absoloute bonkers! lol. The same comparisons go for wintering in southern Europe......

Ah, the joys of queuing for hours in airports, then sitting cramped for hours on planes, interrupted only by queuing for the toilets.

Why on earth is it that some people prefer the independent, laid back joys of touring in a motorhome ?

;-) ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Yeah in your dreams......what about the many who spend miserable winters in Spain couped up in vans with it raining for weeks. give me a couple of hours airport delay any time.

JudgeMental - 2010-05-25 7:44 PM

Yeah in your dreams......what about the many who spend miserable winters in Spain couped up in vans with it raining for weeks. give me a couple of hours airport delay any time.

If they are " couped up in vans with it raining for weeks " it's sounds like they are not touring.

They could always move on.

Not so easy to change your destination halfway through a package holiday, if you don't like it ?

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2010-05-25 7:52 PM

JudgeMental - 2010-05-25 7:44 PM

If they are " couped up in vans with it raining for weeks " it's sounds like they are not touring.

They could always move on.

Not so easy to change your destination halfway through a package holiday, if you don't like it ?

;-)

Have you read the reports from members travelling south over the winter? Who’s talking about a few weeks on a package holiday? I had better explain myself better...

At the moment we use or camper mainly high season and head south so decent weather normally guaranteed. I hope to retire in a few years and was looking forward to spending the winter in the south......but what I have read over the last 3 years this does not look very enticing at all! *-)

I just spent a month in Thailand and I could winter there or Malaysia, Indonesia etc....and have a really relaxing time for similar money, you only live once and there are some stunning places to see.

Ideally a bit of both would be nice, but I can’t afford a new 45k camper just for a month in the sun as well, so may downsize a bit and see how that goes......

Brian Kirby - 2010-05-24 9:37 PM

In short, is a motorhome a small but luxurious hotel suite that you drive around, or is it a sophisticated vehicle whose secondary function is to transport a glorified tin tent?

Ideally, of course, it should be both, but does anyone actually own this perfect fusion of vehicle and residential comfort?  Do you?  :-)

To us it is neither :D We have an almost perfect fusion for our needs - created for us by Mill Garage, Duns last summer. A basic Renault Master PVC - an easy drive on mortoway or single track road, as economical as most equivallent vans. Basic needs serviced inside, with no frills (no oven, shower, TV to name but a few) with spaceous comfortable bed, sufficient worksurface, storage space, & seating and still room for the two large dogs :D

And its purpose ............... to take us to places, safely and comfortably, most of which we have not been to before and allow us to live in basic comfort - eat, sleep, relax etc and keep dry & warm whilst allowing us carry out outdoor leisure activities (walking, fishing, paddling, etc) at almost any time of the year.

Our trips so far have been restricted to a few days. Longer trips mean more stuff, and we bought an inflatable dinghy not so long ago. So far we have not had a problem but space could become an issue, but I am sure we will be able to overcome it (lol)

We spent literally months looking at and climbing in motorhomes of all shapes, sizes layouts and makes before finally settling on our Cheyenne 660. For us it is the best layout for the way we use the van. The driving position and way the vehicle drives is as good as anything I've ever driven. Ideally I would have got the 3 litre automatic version, but the extra four and a half thousand was something I wouldn't/couldn't justify. Same goes for the choice of Merc. or FIAT chassis. I did consider paying for the Merc, but again the compromise there was that I couldn't have the extra weight allowance and some "extras"on that chassis.

I did consider the FIAT gearbox/clutch issues but we'd had a Peugeot version of the chassis for 12 months and had no problems with that so decided on balance to not pay the Merc. premium, and so far, after 15,000 plus miles, I've had no regrets on that decision.

The accomodation side was also something we looked closely at. We have bought it for primarily long term touring as well as short trips so we wanted something as close to how we will use it as we could. In our thinking an "A" class van living area tends to be "wasted space" in the lounge area. More importantly, Ann doresn't like the shape! So we discounted those. We looked at American R.V's and although there is a lot of space & luxury the size issue wasn't something we could take on. The issue of getting the electricity and gas conversions was also something that put us off.

We chose the "lowline" version of the 660 because we have no children and neither of us wants to climb a ladder to get to bed! The lowline also gives us that "bedspace" as storage so is better for us in that way too. The fixed bed is also something that was top of our "must have" list.

Since getting the van and living in it for up to 5 monthst at a time there have been things we've added to finish off what the Autotrail designers started. Extra 12V lighting, an inverter, 2 solar panels and a washing machine have made our "home from home" somewhere we both really enjoy spending our leisure time.

We both still talk of "proper" holidays, days spent lounging by a pool and not driving for hours. However the pay off is that we've been to places and seen things we would never have if we were just "holidaymakers" in a country and not "touring visitors". That, and the waiting around at airports, and the realisation of far and for how long we could go away for in the van on the 2 grand it would cost for a fortnight somewhere in a villa!

We have both said we'll probably stop motorhoming when we reach sixty, sell the van and then long term rent over the winter, but for now it's got all the advantages and very few disadvantages for the way we want to live. So perhaps we might not when the time comes!

Archived