boxer noise

clay

i have a problem with my 98 boxer kon tiki. there is a drumming noise that appears between 50 and 60 . when the van is level on say the motorway the sound goes but when the van sways one side or the other it re apears. i have had the rear bearings stripped and reset, the garage also greased the rear alko chassis then i have had the front wheel bearings stripped out and finding some wear replaced. the prob. has improved but is still there, the garage now says it may be a gearboxprob. has anyone experienced this and is it a common fault

hopefully the nuts were torqued by the garage but i will recheck.and i forgot to mention that one of the first things i did when the prob. arose was to rotate the tyres. as for age , they were on the van when i bought it, they looked new but it will be worth my while to check them with a tyre house. thanks both

Right I did not answer this before as I wanted to make sure it was the same set up, just looked under ours and it is.

The symptoms you are experiencing seem to be identical to those that I had on a company Peugeot 405 Estate that I had and were from new. The main dealer could not locate the problem, in the end saying it was me being hyper critical. I bought the car after three years and once it was in my hands to look after I found the cause.

If you look under the van at the drive train you will see that the RH drive shaft has an intermediate bearing bolted to the right side of the engine transaxle unit, this allows the left and right shafts to be of equal length where they pivot. This was the bearing that was making the noise and is easily changed, I suspect that this may be your problem.

Bas

Basil - 2010-05-26 1:50 PM

Right I did not answer this before as I wanted to make sure it was the same set up, just looked under ours and it is.

The symptoms you are experiencing seem to be identical to those that I had on a company Peugeot 405 Estate that I had and were from new. The main dealer could not locate the problem, in the end saying it was me being hyper critical. I bought the car after three years and once it was in my hands to look after I found the cause.

If you look under the van at the drive train you will see that the RH drive shaft has an intermediate bearing bolted to the right side of the engine transaxle unit, this allows the left and right shafts to be of equal length where they pivot. This was the bearing that was making the noise and is easily changed, I suspect that this may be your problem.

Bas

cheers basil , an int. bearing sounds more than possible it seems to fit the bill. it is a wonder my garage did not pick up on this, i will be under it on sat. and check it out . cheers mate

If you are going to look at it yourself I will explain to you how I found it. First if you are going to do as I describe please make sure that whatever you lift and suspend the vehicle with is safe and secure, I would hate to be the one who reduced the forum membership by one! :'( :'( .

Lift the front clear of the ground both sides, so that the wheels can rotate, on very secure axle stands or similar. Run the engine and with it in gear and the wheels rotating place a large screwdriver against the bearing and put your ear to the end. The noise under the vehicle in this situation is quite undescribable BUT if it is that bearing you will hear it on the screwdriver quite distinctly.

Good luck!

Bas

waw, my wife normally calls me a fathead and i really dont want to be known as a flathead. i think i will give your info to steve at my local garage and he can do the duty for me. :D :D again thanks for the info.

Archived