Is it really this hard to get a Motorhome?

Citizenfish

Hi,

We are a family of four who have outgrown our VW T25 camper and are looking for a new motorhome. We're based in Swindon.

We have narrowed our requirements down to:-

-3 separate beds needed (1 boy one girl child cannot share)

-rear lounge preferred

-must have at least 2 passenger full belted travel seats

-external locker highly desirable to hold my diving gear

-budget £30-40k

We have looked at the Swift 686 and Eldis Autoquest 180, both of these were so nearly there but have no external locker. Then I saw the Tribute 720 which looks perfect!!

However, I cannot find one anywhere. My local dealer steadfastly refuses to return calls after being prompted twice, they just don't seem that bothered to look into it. I cannot get hold of anyone at Tribute Motorhomes and another dealer has told me that it is unlikely I will see one before September.

So, two questions:-

1) has anyone seen a Tribute 720 anywhere..any dealers? If I like it I will buy it cash there and then!!

2) can anyone think of any alternatives if it really is going to be September as we need the van for summer touring.

Thanks

DB

Hello DB, and welcome to the forum.

Your requirements are similar to ours, we went for a Swift Sundance 630L. Our version has one external locker but I believe the new model has an additional locker.

You could also consider fitting an additional locker like the BeenyBox.

http://www.beenybox.co.uk/

If your local dealer does not return your calls when you are waving the buying flag image what it will be like when you have a service problem. I'd stay clear of him.

Guest JudgeMental

probably the worse time of year to buy a van as heading into the summer season. cant really help with that as we always buy German, but try ebay and search engines etc....

as for the children not sharing I dont get this, how did you manage in VW?

My two have always shared, top and tailed etc... They dont get on all the time, but just accept this as a normal part of travelling, as they have never been given an alternative...

Guest JudgeMental
Citizenfish - 2010-05-27 10:09 AM

In the VW I made a canvas hammock bed for the front cab where my son sleeps and daughter goes up top in the high top bed, we use the double below.

So...they are not used to being together then. we had VW Westphalia T3 for 7 years, from children's age 0 and 1.5 till they were 7 & 8.5 respectively. initially wife swept with baby downstairs but from about 2-3 onward they slept together up top.

what will you do when holidaying abroad in a hotel? Say in the states where a family room is normally two doubles...will you have to book 2 separate rooms. My son is 17 and daughter nearly 19 they don't even think about it, it is just the way its always been. when they come away withus now, they now share a massive luton with kingsize 1600 wide bed with separate mattresses. to me this is Preferable to cramped bunk beds. we sleep at back on kingsize bed over a large garage.....

JudgeMental - 2010-05-27 11:04 AM

initially wife swept with baby downstairs

I know that in a small camper everything needs to have more than one use Eddie, but isn't this taking it a bit far? SURELY there was room for a dustpan and brush!

Did you put your wig on the baby?

:D

PS Sorry, Citizenfish, I should have said "Welcome!" Rude of me to overlook that - even worse than hijacking your first thread with a bad joke! :-(

Yes but it was worth it Tony, made me laugh anyway.

My 2 also shared huge over head with plastic boxes full of toys and clothes down centre. Age 15 and 7

Every year for past 3 years we take 2 30 year olds and a 10 year old for 5 days to xmas markets in Germany and all 3 sleep with lots of room to spare on top bed.

Your search will be over before you know it as the right one will appear when you least expect it.

Have fun

Mandy :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Oh for a decent auto spell checker..... Yes Mandy and I have seen them up there when we meet in Brugge, they were so quiet :-D

We are of to Vendee coast Saturday, may see you on the road?

Guest JudgeMental
If you cant find what you want from stock and have to wait till end of year for a new one its worth noting that a new Ford chassis is out 2011......I am waiting till then to change mine. I might be selling mine in the Autumn if interested ;-)

Hi

We have a Trigano 665 panel van convertion and bought it from Todds in Preston I've just looked on there website and its showing the van your interested in there showroom, see link below.

http://www.toddsmotorhomes.co.uk/online_shop/trigano_ranges/trigano_tribute_ford_t-720_tri003.asp

It would be worth giving them a ring, they are a really good dealership with a good reputation and have won awards in the MMM dealership of the year awards, this is our second van from there and I would recommend them.

Fiona

Hi 'fish' welcome to the mad house ... I some some of the long term residents have popped up already to greet you! :-D

At the following site there's a 2009 Ford Carado A366:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/omcmotorhomes/search.cfm

You could also have a shuftie on the web for Eura Mobils, there a Eura Mobil Profila 685VB which has rear transverse bunks and the advantage of this make is that they have underfloor storage too! There's another one but I can't remember the number of it which has lengthways beds rather than across the back.

The CI Carioca 656 and 746 have bunks too, you could also look at Kentuky or Rimor motorhomes too.

Whatever you are interested in though make sur eyou check out the payload by having the van weighed, don't take the manufacturers info (if there is any!) as being right, some have very little payload, so if you want a larger van you might have to go for one over 3500kg to be able to carry your family and all their gear plus your diving stuff.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-05-27 5:47 PM

You could also have a shuftie on the web for Eura Mobils, there a Eura Mobil Profila 685VB which has rear transverse bunks and the advantage of this make is that they have underfloor storage too! There's another one but I can't remember the number of it which has lengthways beds rather than across the back.

I really dont see this as practical in 3500kg guise....It is a 7 metre double floored van with poor payload if any normal extras added. They have a new model the Profila 600 VB, 6 metres and a six berth with a decent payload. it will handle and drive much better, and be easier to park as well

has rear bunk beds, the lower one converts into a garage for all your stuff. still leaving 1 single and 2 double beds to choose from.

an interesting van I think and amazing spec in that length:-D

Archived