Front wheel tink tink noises

Knaus

Hi

We have a Fiat Ducato 2.3 and get tink tink noises from the front wheels after about an hour's journey. We have had them off a couple of times and checked the brakes and wheel bearings which are all fine.

The only cure we have found so far is to spray the wheels with water before setting out. This seems to work for a while.

Any ideas?

Front wheels, or a front wheel?

Spray wheels with water - but why do that - or do you spray the tyres?

My first thought is you have something stuck in a tyre.  Too simple?

If you have taken the wheels off, have you torqued the bolts to the correct settings?

The sound appears after an hour's driving, presumably on dry roads.  Any water sprayed onto the wheels/tyres will have evaporated off well inside an hour, so I don't see how this could make a difference.

Is the noise random, or is it regular - corresponding to the speed of rotation of the wheels?

Knaus - 2010-05-27 3:33 PM

Hi

We have a Fiat Ducato 2.3 and get tink tink noises from the front wheels after about an hour's journey. We have had them off a couple of times and checked the brakes and wheel bearings which are all fine.

The only cure we have found so far is to spray the wheels with water before setting out. This seems to work for a while.

Any ideas?

Not sure I would call it a 'tink tink' noise but the only thing that will stop making a noise if you spray it with water is a worn rubber bush. Although a friend of mine has a parrot which shuts up when sprayed,

Just had to add my wee bit after laughing to these answers. Prime comedy this when there's so much crap on the telly.

Brians answer about something in tyre was the expected fault.

W3526602 on caressing brake pedal, very,very good if pads lost their anti-rattle shims. Caressing, what a word. You could only get it on this forum. One of Franky Howard's words me-think.

As for Rupert123, sums it up for my Parrot too when he won't stop making door bell, car horns, phone ringing, hello-hello, etc noises.. Have a shower.

Tinkling to me sounds like something rattling on exhaust pipe work/silencer. Soething loose somewhere.

Good luck on a great thread.

Gordy

Well! after some thought, I am going to go for Brian's suggestion of carressing the brake. There is a sound you can get which is very light brake squeal and is caused by the high amount of metal in the Brake pads.

I have heard this before and can sound like a intermittant tink tink.

When actualy checking the brake pads do not just look at them in place but remove and inspect the actual pad fricion material is not debonding from the backing plates or got cracks. Also check the discs are running true when rotated within a few thou max.

That was John, Jon, not me!  :-) 

But a brake pad squeaking on a slightly distorted disc, as the disc heats up, is a good guess, and might explain the delay before the noise appears - though he hasn't said it goes when he brakes.  I wonder if he also has slight jerkiness in the the braking at slow speeds, which might indicate a slightly distorted disc?

Oh so it was, I misread Gordy's reply...Have a new LCD monitor now, maybe I will be able to read things better and also spot my spelling mistakes and typos better. Just got it all working half an hour ago.

Old CRT is going up the skips ASAP.

Its like a game of charades when peeps describe faults.

Often feel like asking it is a book or film, maybe ths one I should ask if it is a musical.

A very slight distortion may not be enough to cause any judder when braking (don't we all love the word judder now) but can be enough to cause the pad to loosen very slightly and start strange noises as the disc goes in an out of contact.

Hi

Thanks for your comments, although some were not helpful.

It does stop when you touch the brakes, but soon appears again. It has been like it since June 2008. We have done several long trips since then, so don't think it can be much to worry about. Overall we have only done 14,500 since new in 2004.

There is certainly no "judder" and the brakes perform correctly.

OK.  Then I think it is almost certainly in the brakes.  With so low a mileage, I would imagine it could as well be that the discs have corroded except where protected by the pads, leaving just the one relatively smooth patch, and this is causing a noise as the different textures catch the pads.  A bit of firm braking from speed may resolve this, by scrubbing off any remaining rust glaze.  A few miles of downhill, twisting, mountain road, perhaps?

I have to say, though, that I thought all respondents were trying to be constructive, given what they had to work with.

I tend to dissagree with the corrosion causing the diffrent textures etc, I think it is just a case of what is quite common on these OEM pads used, but am not going to dismiss it totally. I agree different textures form etc, I jst mean not likely to be causing the noise.

However what I would strongly recommend is having the pads inspected and checking the friction material is not debonding from the backing plate due to corrosion, or any pad is worn down exessively. A sensible thing to do with any brake pads. A small cost compared to what you have had done with bearings etc to try and eliminate the noise, and you may possibly also find a safety issue with the pads...I hope not of course.

If one man's "tink tink" could be another man's "tick tick", is it worth a look at the constant velocity joints?

I wouldn't want to do a lot of driving until I was sure that the CV joints were OK, they can make a ticking noise when worn, and you wouldn't believe what can happen if they do let go.

AGD

Guest Tracker

You might try chamfering the leading edges of the brake pads at 45 or so degrees and slightly rounding off the chamfer where it initially contacts the disc - angle not critical as it's the principle of removing the sharp 90 degree leading edge that will help if it is going to?

On the other hand it might make no difference at all but at least it's free!

In 'the old days' it was a good cure for brake judder on some cars.

Please bear in mind that complaining about other contributor's sense of humour or frivolity does not encourage anyone else to offer help!

Archived