New Excel 650G

macca59

Hi Macca, I've got an Autotrail van, but not an Excel. What is the problem you've had with the front bed? Although the Excel range is new chances are the bed arrangement is the same in "normal" Autotrail so anyone with experience of that might be able to help you.

I was at the Autotrail factory rally last month and I spoke to a guy from the factory about the Excels who said they seem to be pleased with the way they were performing so far, but they were having second thoughts about the fitting of the pnuematic door stays at the top of the door. Seems they are prone to twisting the top of the door if caught in a strong gust of wind and they are looking to remove them or replace them with something different. He said Swift were having the same issues on their models with them fitted. It might be an idea to ask Brownhills to check with Autotrail, before you take delivery, as to whether they are removing them or modifying them on future models and to amend yours as required.

Hi Tomo, the problem with the bed is that on the 2 seater near the door, the side of the seat pops out at an angle to extend the width of the bed. The side extension is held on by a belt screwed into either of the sides of the seat and the extending side. Also screwed into the extending side is a wood panel which locks over the edge of the 2 seater, nearest the door. This is only held on by 4 very small screws, which give very little strength. Another panel is then slipped over the two settees to widen the overall size of the bed, this does not fit properly, no matter how we try to fit it. Seems a wacky design. I've already tried the bed out and whilst getting off the bed ended up pulling the screws out of the panel. I've always thought of AutoTrail as being one of the best of the Motorhome builders, and I can't understand them designing something like this. Thanks for the info on the pnuematic door stays, will definitely check this out with Brownhills.

Sorry Macca, can't help there ours is just a straight forward pull out frame on both front bench seats. I agree about the build quality issue, it does seem rather shoddy. Have you tried to contact Autotrail after sales team they might be able to correct it for you.

Hi Macca

As it has failed in such a short period it should be considered as "unfit for purpose" & as the suppling dealer, Brownhills are responsible for the warranty.

You should contact Brownhills informing them of the problem & ask them to refer the failure to Autotrail as it obviously requires more than just "like for like" repair / replacement.

Hi Macca,

We too were at the factory rally a month ago and I looked at their own demonstrator and this had done exactly the same thing. I commented at the time that I did not think it would last long.

It will be worth your while asking Brownhills to contact the factory for suggestions to upgrade it as they must by now have seen the damage to their own demonstrator.

Keith.

I'm suprised that the bed collapsing hasn't happened in a Dealers showroom or at a Show. If I were paying over £30 grand for a van I would test ALL the beds (shoes off) and I am no lightweight. How do they get away with such bad/stupid design ?? only because we let them, and 'Love at first sight' blinds our judgement. *-) Ray

macca59 - 2010-05-27 9:28 PM Hi Tomo, the problem with the bed is that on the 2 seater near the door, the side of the seat pops out at an angle to extend the width of the bed. The side extension is held on by a belt screwed into either of the sides of the seat and the extending side. Also screwed into the extending side is a wood panel which locks over the edge of the 2 seater, nearest the door. This is only held on by 4 very small screws, which give very little strength. Another panel is then slipped over the two settees to widen the overall size of the bed, this does not fit properly, no matter how we try to fit it. Seems a wacky design. I've already tried the bed out and whilst getting off the bed ended up pulling the screws out of the panel. I've always thought of AutoTrail as being one of the best of the Motorhome builders, and I can't understand them designing something like this. .............

From the AutoTrail section of Brownhills website: "Our dedicated staff conduct rigorous and comprehensive inspections throughout the many production processes of each motorhome, all aimed at affording you and your family the highest level of safety and complete peace of mind."

Such bold claims! 

Time to ask them how their "dedicated staff" could "conduct rigorous and comprehensive inspections throughout the many production processes of each motorhome" and still miss the bed problem.  A certain lack of rigour, and comprehensiveness, seems indicated here!

Remember, that claim, as written, applies to your own motorhome individually: it says "rigorous and comprehensive inspections .................. of each motorhome".  Not even each model, but each motorhome.  Don't ya just love English when it is properly used?!  :-)  No wonder they go bust periodically!  To meet their claim they would have to have a Brownhills' technical inspector permanently located at AutoTrail's works watching over the production of every motorhome ordered by Brownhills.  If they don't actually do this, and their claim that they do in any way influenced your decision to buy an AutoTrail from Brownhills, they are in breach of their contract with you.  Contractually, as a consumer, you are entitled to rely on their advertising claims when buying.  (Seriously, though, I don't recommend you try flying this particular legal kite - at least not yet - but it might be worth taking a copy of the claim for future reference, just in case you need to rely on it in future - and find it has mysteriously disappeared). :-D

Why do people come on forums with complaints before giving the dealer time to sort them out. They then get all sorts of advice about consumer complaints, ways to take legal action etc. For goodness sake take the van back and give them the opportunity to fix it properly, if this is not done or they give problems then bring complaints to a forum, at least give the dealer a chance.

It is understandable, Henry.  They splurge an eye-watering sum of money on what is, by any rational standards, a toy.  That level of expenditure alone will cause them some doubts as to their own sanity.  They will feel a little uneasy about whether they should, really, have spent so much on themselves and their leisure pursuits.  Then, they find something wrong, and they mildly panic.  In this state they wonder whether their feelings of doubt are rational, so they seek reassurance.

In this particular case, the dealership enjoys a somewhat "mixed" reputation for its customer after sales service.  There is no harm in advising the buyer of this, and of what his consumer rights are.

To some extent, he can then stop panicking, and commence the business of getting the dealer to put things right.  But, just in case the dealer doesn't, he is also forewarned to be cautious how he proceeds.  Most dealers will sort problems out, but some will/do not, and the buyer can lose valuable advantage by not making himself aware, from the outset, how best to proceed.

If the poster already knew all this, he presumably wouldn't have asked, he would have gone straight back to the dealer, shown him the problem, smiled sweetly, and said "over to you"!  That he asked, indicates to me that he is unsure how to proceed, meaning that he is also uncertain of his rights.

Merely knowing your rights, or being informed of them, does not mean that your first action is to reach for a solicitor.  It merely means you can speak confidently to the dealer, instead of approaching him on the basis he is doing you a favour.  It also means you know it is the dealer who has the obligation to put things right, and you don't have to accept any threadbare excuses about the manufacturer, and how he may interpret his warranty.

I agree it is a bit unfair to name the dealer in the first instance but, under the circumstances, they can surely be forgiven for failing to fully consider his commercial interests when theirs seem at risk?  They can always right any wrong later, by reporting how wonderfully well they have been treated.

Besides all of which, your admonition serves no useful purpose.  The cat is already out of the bag, so what, now, is to be done?  Merely humiliating the poor souls won't help them, or anyone else.

Thanks Brian for your response, you hit the nail on the head. I was'nt complaining about the bed or Brownhills, just wondering if anyont out there had siimilar problems. We have had great service from Brownhills and know that they will probably sort this out. As this is only our second year as Motorhomers we were not quite sure how to go about it. Thanks to you and everyone else for your help, its much appreciated.

We have the 670B it has the same arrangement for the bed no problems so far. We were at the same factory Rally as Tomo and had some problems sorted by Autotrail on the Monday, nothing was too much trouble for them, we were met when we arrived on the Factory visit by Colin who within minutes said come in Monday and we will sort things out.

David.

Archived