Fiamma back box

FRANKP60

Hi fairly new to Motor-homing ,have a 5.5mtr Elddis Sunseeker 200,with Carry Bike ,thinking seriously about buying a 360 Ultra box for extra storage.

Can I have your views Ladies and Gents ,good points ,bad points ,sercurity of it as well .Looking to drive to Spain in Septmber,so need more space.

Hi Frank - welcome to the madhouse! :-D

Before you change what you have have a really good check on what your actualy weight carrying capacity is taking into the account of the existing rack and the weight of the 360 box you are looking to put on, on the back-wall. Then work out what you'll put in the new box and see if you have sufficient capacity to take it. You'll also need to check your rear axle loading too to make sure you have sufficient capacity for any extra weight. If not, you'd be as well to stick to the one you have! The alternative is to instead only use it for more bulky but lighter items.

As for security don't rely on the Fiamma lock alone, there have been reports that the locks are not as 'secure' as they could be in the sense that some people can open other people's Fiamma locks with a totally different Fiamma key! Best way is to fit padlocks either side of the box through the edges (drill holes if they're not there already) and use them as well as the Fiamma lock.

We had one on the back of our previous van, a Duetto. I don't know how we would have managed without it as it holds so many bulky items such as chairs, sat dish, bucket, levellers and so much other stuff that wouldn't fit inside the van.

Security is not good and all the Fiamma boxes use the same key. In fact you'll sometimes see the keys for sale on eBay! We used a plastic covered chain around the box which was secured with a padlock and felt that this was about as secure as we could make it and was quite happy with it.

We bought a secondhand 360 in excellent condition and paid £130 for it, if my memory is correct.

Archived