vehicle alarms

keefkaff

I will soon be taking delivery of a new motorhome and I will need to get a good alarm fitted. Ones that I have been quoted so far advise an alarm which works with the central locking. This sound good in priciple as it will be armed as soon as the vehicle is locked. There is just one doubt. The vehicle is stored in a secure compound and when left the alarm will be drawing some power from the battery and as the vehicle could be left in winter for maybe 2 months if the weather is not good then could this have some effect on the battery.

As an alternative would it be better to have an alarm which is independently set.

Can anyone give any advice?

Only one company IMHO to contact Vanbitz

http://www.vanbitz.com/

they in my opinion are the best to deal with, good honest advice,first class product, and they know what they are doing.They will not try to sell you anything if you contact them for advice.I have no connection with this company I am a satisfied past customer

keefkaff - 2010-05-28 9:23 PM

I will soon be taking delivery of a new motorhome and I will need to get a good alarm fitted.

Why?

While it is in storage there will probably be no-one near enough to hear it so why not just get good insurance then you won't have to worry about it flattening your battery.

Keith.

Hi

If you are really set on an alarm then I agree that you should contact VanBitz, who can also advise if a tracker might be more suitable. We have both and the Strikeback alarm texts us if triggered.

We don't put our van into secure storage and our main reason for the alarm, pager and tracker is that we often wild-camp, stay on Aires and leave the van in remote places and in City centres. I would have thought that a break-in was more likely in these circumstances than in secure storage but you must consider what the risks really are and how big is your wallet. In any case make sure that your insurance is really comprehensive.

P&L

But, to answer the bit about the alarm etc pulling down the starter battery, yes it will.  But so too will other electrical bits on the van, such as the radio pre-set memory and the engine management system.  So, all the alarm/tracker/whatever will do is accelerate this "background" rate of discharge.  It is also the case that batteries have a rate of self-discharge, meaning they lose power even if nothing is connected to them, and need periodic topping up. 

If the storage facility is not covered, a modest sized solar panel should be able to maintain the starter battery while in store.  These are more usually sized to charge the leisure battery, for which use larger panels, in region of 80W, are frequently advised.  I think, once the cost of installation is taken into account, there is little benefit in installing a smaller panel merely to charge the starter battery, so you will need a means of switching the charge between both batteries, or an installation that charges either/both according to need.  You will also need a good controller to ensure the charge rates are appropriate to the types of batteries involved, frequently gel for the leisure battery but conventional for the starter battery.

If the storage facility is covered, and no 220V power supply is available, I think you should install battery isolating switches to both batteries, or simply leave them disconnected.  Taking the van for a run at least every month is a possible alternative, and will be better than leaving it idle for several months on end, but this may not be practical from a storage compound, and a prolonged period of bad weather may prevent you doing this, so that the batteries suffer excessive discharge before you can next get on the road.  VanBitz should be able to advise on all of the above, as well as on alarms.

Archived