bank hol.

clay

another bank holiday and half term , rain coming down and roads chocker.

. making my way from midlands to home last nite on work related matters came to abrupt halt at almondsbury int. on m5 south nothing moving till junc 21, motorhomers and caravanners looking really peed off, i got away at junc. 15 and home. paint brush out this morning and nice w/e at home. booked my week away from next sat. ahh far from the madding crowd. :-(

This is why w've just got back from couple of weeks in US to miss the bankholidays, but even so trying to find a pitch in Grand Canyon NP was hard work, of the seven nights spent in north and south rim areas only twice did we get pitchs in the park, luckily they have some good forestry service sites nearby. This weekend I shall be mainly on the farm popping buns.

Guest pelmetman

Can't think of anything worse than going away on a Bank Holiday, weather is usually lousy, spend half the time stuck in some traffic jam and on arriving at destination everywhere is packed. We also try to avoid the school holidays like the plague.

I suppose we are lucky in that we can choose when we go away, having our own business working from home.

So today Dave is working. (lol)

Sue

Couldn't agree more Sue! We are in the fortunate position of being retired and also avoid BHs - and school hols like the plague - unless of course we take our grandchildren away - who are, of course, the most well behaved children on the planet! This BH mayhem seems to be just a British thing as we have just returned from spending late April to 25th May in France where there were four BHs - 1st, 8th, 13th, 24th May and we hardly noticed them. We got in all camp sites/aires easily and they were not full by any means. Apart from Msrs Leclerc and Intermarche being shut you would hardly notice it was a BH. Come on Brits - if you don't HAVE to go away on ours - why put yourself through it? Not worth it for just one extra day. We have spent this BH cleaning the van of a million dead insects! *-)

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2010-05-29 8:26 AM

We rarely bother to go away at Bank hols, but this one would be good for us to get away due to work issues etc.

But can we get a pitch?

You must be kidding, good for those who can book ahead but what a bugger for those of us who can't...

Martyn

Have you considered a CCC or MCC weekend meet or temporary holiday site Martyn?

Admittedly you don't get all the mod cons of a club site but some do have EHU if you need it and the vast majority are non bookable as there is generally plenty of space.

We generally, but not always - bit like sites I suppose - find people friendly and outgoing and of a similar general outlook to ourselves!

Best of all if it is hissing with rain you just don't have to go as you have no deposit to lose and you will not be letting anyone down?

Hi Rich, it's funny you should mention the temp hol site etc. We've come to the conclusion that we need to start thinking outside the box somewhat when it comes to getting away.

We're going to review local CL's for a start, (it's surprising how many we've used and enjoyed and just not returned), consider joining the CCC and then maybe the temp hol sites.

We really are going to have to do something to counteract the rise in use of CC sites, I was tormenting myself yesterday by looking for a weekend on a CC site within say a 50 - 60 mile radius.

Result? Bugger all, nil, nowt diddly squat.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-05-31 4:48 PM

I was tormenting myself yesterday by looking for a weekend on a CC site within say a 50 - 60 mile radius.

Result? Bugger all, nil, nowt diddly squat.

Martyn

It's a matter of being in the right place at the right time with the CC I've found. On Thursday evening I was checking their late availability for this weekend out of interest sake and saw that twice Wharfedale had 1 pitch for Saturday and Sunday. Of course, within minutes the first one had gone, and the same when the second one became available. Similarly, we've been able to book Chatsworth a couple of days before a weekend earlier this year, as someone cancelled.

On the other hand, if you lived near Devon and Cornwall, there were plenty of pitches to be had!!

Ina.

Guest pelmetman
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that with the popularity of caravaning and the staycation syndrome, its easier to go away midweek for short breaks B-)

Had a great bank holiday weekend.

Picked motorhome up from storage in Taplow.

M4-M25-M1A up Huntingdon Boat Haven in 2 hours, no delays, leaving at 1130.

Out for dinner on Friday night & a few pubs.

Saturday, bus to Cambridge for a stroll and pub lunch.

Sunday, bike ride to and around Grafham Waters (25 miles) & pub lunch.

Left site this morning about 1100, A14, M11, M25 and M4 back to Taplow. by about 1.30. No delays on M25 even between Watford & Uxbridge.

PS the site was fine (pitch 14), toilets & showers ok, bit of road noise from A14, but good cycle routes and 10 minute walk into town.

Motorhome is back out again on 9th June for Isle of Wight Festival, can't wait.

Andy

I tried to book online for 3 nights last week at the CC Black Knowl site to do a bit of cycling in the New Forest but only one night was available.

When we checked in the Warden asked if we were only staying one night, I explained that I had tried to book online for 3 nights, she said that pitches were available. We stayed 4 nights, weather was brilliant and we had a great time - and - there were at least 10 empty pitches each night.

The Motor caravanners club rally at Newark was well supported this weekend, there were 596 motorhomes in attendance from all over the country including Ireland so all you people who didn't attend missed a great time, there was numerous activities going on and live professional entertainment in the evenings. Next year the venue will be at Kelso at the beginning of June

HWO - 2010-05-31 1:44 PM

Sorry Clay

Given the choice of the motorway or a paintbrush

I will settle for the M6 anyday

HWO

on the m6 this w/end you would have time to paint the white lines (lol) (lol)

vindiboy - 2010-05-29 10:59 PM

That's the big advantage of the Camping and Caravan Club Rallies and Temporary Holiday sites, no booking generally required and always places and a warm welcome even at Bank Holidays. :-o :-o :-o

Just the thing, don't do sites we stayed at an HS at Soberton Heath in the middle of nowhere (well as near as you can get in Hampshire), had a lovely weekend with good weather. We did treat ourselves and have hook up........such luxury!

Archived