Cycling in France

Randonneur

If anyone is thinking of cycling in France after 1st July then the following information might be of help. This is taken from an Ex-pat newspaper that arrived in our postbox yesterday.

"Bikes can ignore one-way streets" was the title.

"Cycling the wrong way up a one-way street is to be made legal in France from 1 July - but with certain restrictions.

The new rules will only apply to roads in a 30 kph zone, and individual town halls will have the option not to follow the initiative if they consider it too dangerous. Towns and Cities around the country have begun updating their road signs to raise awareness of the new rules."

All I can say it what a waste of money, everybody knows if the street is one-way then you only go one-way.

It is a fact that cyclists in France do not regard any road laws as appertaining to them. Riding along footpaths, up one way streets, pedestrian areas and so on is the norm.

It all seems to work quite well, so I just "do as the French do" on my bike.

The relaxed attitude is in direct contrast to this country where whilst riding my bike on a windswept, rainswept, and almost empty promenade at Weston I was told to dismount and walk by a nerd in a cheap uniform with "CSO" written on the back.

France beckons, only six weeks to go.

Hallii

I can only say that practise in Weston (presumably Super Mare) is unrepresentative of what happens in most of the rest of the UK.  I have more often been nearly flattened by cyclists on pavements, especially near traffic lights, than ever I have been on the road!  :-)

Brian Kirby - 2010-05-29 3:08 PM

I can only say that practise in Weston (presumably Super Mare) is unrepresentative of what happens in most of the rest of the UK.  I have more often been nearly flattened by cyclists on pavements, especially near traffic lights, than ever I have been on the road!  :-)

Before retiring i used to own a newsagents shop situated on a main road and i always checked before stepping out on to the pavement, because of the danger of being mown down by some twerp on a bike, they also think that traffic lights don,t apply to them!

When in France we do as the French do with regards to cycling - what we want! In the UK though it can be another matter depending on the 'mood' of certain jobsworths.

As an aside, my boss nearly came a cropper on his bike the other day. He has treated himself to some of those shoes and pedals that clip together ... even though he cycles less than 2 miles each way to work! Anyway, he was crossing from his side road to the centre of the main road which has a small central reservation so he stopped to let the traiffic on the other side of the road pass before continuing ... or he tried to. Unfortunately he couldn't get his foot out of the 'clip' mechanism and promptly slowly fell sideways onto the road. Fortunately he was okay but after showing some concern, we simply couldn't contain ourselves anymore, especially when he said he thought half the workforce would probably have seen him do it on their way into work! I asked if anyone might have 'videoed' it for Youtube or "You've been framed" ... fortunately he saw the funny side and I've still got a job!!! I've got this wonderful image of him just tipping over in slow motion and the knowing dread going through his mind as to what was about to happened! :D

It's not just cyclists who you need to watch out for, hubby nearly got run over by a lunatic women in an electric buggy when we went to collect our new van from Highbridge - he was just stepping out of a shop doorway as the maniac went flying past on the pavement at about 10 mph! I hope her batteries went flat! >:-)

As a long-time motorcaravaner and cyclist there seems to me to be something of an inherent prejudice against cycling and the cyclist in Britain - as per some comments on this thread. I don't know what it is but whenever cycling is mentioned in the same conversation as motoring people seem very negative towards those of us who cycle and are quick to sight examples of poor cycling as if it were the norm. In general the risk to life and limb from cyclists is very small whereas the risk to cyclists from the motoring fraternity is considerably greater. I rarely see irate comments about the number of vehicles who regularly exceed the speed limits, and how dare we put up 'speed detectors' to prevent motorists from their inalienable right to go as fast as deem appropriate.

It seems to me that cyclists are not wanted on the roads because the whole network is geared to motorised traffic with little consideration for those who wish to cycle. Whilst if cyclists ride on pavements there is a hue and cry about how inconsiderate they are and the danger they pose.

Cyclists just can't win. Maybe it's a cultural thing; bikes are for children or people who can't afford cars, they go too slowly, they're good for your health but they don't have they same right to travel on the roads as cars do.

I think if people consider where the real danger lies, it is in the close proximity of fast moving traffic to pedestrians/cyclists very often on a road system that was not designed for the size of vehicle and speed motorists want to travel these days.

We have cycled in many countries in Europe, particularly in France, and in general they have a more tolerant and understanding attitude towards cycling than we Brits. Which, I guess, is why so many of us enjoy taking our bikes on holiday when we travel on the continent.

So, I say to 'Randonneur' take your bikes, enjoy the freedom and fresh air, and relative safety of cycling in France. And, go on, cycle down a one-way street (max speed for vehicles less than 20mph) and who knows you may come back a convert to a healthier, more satisfying (and greener) mode of travel. Enjoy your holiday.

degsy - 2010-05-29 11:24 PM

So, I say to 'Randonneur' take your bikes, enjoy the freedom and fresh air, and relative safety of cycling in France. And, go on, cycle down a one-way street (max speed for vehicles less than 20mph) and who knows you may come back a convert to a healthier, more satisfying (and greener) mode of travel. Enjoy your holiday.

I don't think you have noticed, but we actually live in France and have done for the last 10 years, we take our bikes away with us whenever we go in the motorhome and also try to use them at home although it is very hilly where we live in this part of the Charente. A lot of france now has dedicated cycle tracks which is great. When we visit the UK it is usually to the Stockport area which is not very condusive to cycling so we leave them at home.

Come off it degsy, anyone would think cyclists were all 'holyier than thou' characters who can do no wrong. I to have done a fair amount of cycling in the past, mainly mountain bike, and I love the Tour de France. the UK is probably now the Worlds top sporting nation at cycle racing in all its forms. However bikes should never be allowed on pavements and of course roads are geared to motorised traffic who after all pay for them. Cyclists pay no road tax, do not contibute by buying fuel and most have no third party liability with insurance. In North Wales we have a lot of mountain bike trails that are well used but we also have miles of very expensive cycle tracks alongside roads that hardly anyone uses. Bikes are no more used in France than in the UK, except for holiday use, and I have never noticed a better attitude to them, in fact no attitude at all in either the UK or France other than the odd comment about bad behavior, which you get with cars as well. Where did the relative safety bit in France come from, have you the slightest proof of this, doubt it. In North Wales at the moment their are usually large groups of cyclist's about at the weekend all pretending to be Tour de France teams, they cycle in a large bunch all over the road with no regard to traffic behind them, it is no wonder people get impatient.

This string was never pro, or anti, cycling, it was a tongue in cheek crib about a recent change in French law regarding where, an how, cyclists can ride.  Derek (degsy) has, I think, seen something in it that just isn't there.  There are good, and bad, cyclists, motorists - even motorhomers!  :-)

"Cyclists just can't win": but then neither can the rest of us.  Because you or I ride a bike, or a motorbike, or drive a car (or motorhome, or whatever), it does not mean we automatically become part of some cohesive group.  I can speak with some authority on bad cyclists, having worked in central London and been subjected to the antics of cycle couriers - for most of whom there seem to be no rules, period.  But I can also do the same for bad motorcyclists, bad car drivers, bad motorhomers, bad lorry drivers, even bad bus drivers.  So they can all claim to be unable to "win".

However, I can also do the same about the good ones in each category (including cycle couriers), who have often got the bad ones out of trouble by being more thoughtful, observant, or skilled.  So what?  So with all of life.  It is, IMO, a silly argument.

From my experience, as one who uses a bike merely for occasional toodling around (but who used to be able to ride 100 miles in a day), unless you are swaddled in multi-coloured Lycra, the French are not that much more considerate of cyclists than the British.  The Lycra seems to have a certain snob value, even among cyclists, that means the rider is a "proper" cyclist, and should therefore be respected.  I have certainly been "shaved" as often in France as in UK, mainly by younger, perhaps less experienced, drivers.  I think the great French respect for the bike has, to a great extent, now disappeared into mythology.

Despite their other eccentricities, Italy now seems to me to have the more cycle considerate drivers.  However, if you really want to be given proper respect as a cyclist, go East: Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia.  Drivers slow and acknowledge you, and you are even legally entitled to ride on pavements in towns, albeit the social code says you do so slowly, and with consideration for pedestrians, especially the elderly and small children.  It just reflects a slower, gentler, less "driven" lifestyle, that will doubtless also be lost over the next few years.  Life's a bitch, ain't it?! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2010-05-30 11:31 AM

However, if you really want to be given proper respect as a cyclist, go East: Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia.  Drivers slow and acknowledge you, and you are even legally entitled to ride on pavements in towns, albeit the social code says you do so slowly, and with consideration for pedestrians, especially the elderly and small children.  It just reflects a slower, gentler, less "driven" lifestyle, that will doubtless also be lost over the next few years.  Life's a bitch, ain't it?! :-D

What a sad reflection it is that we humans need laws and rules to govern our behaviour. It is speed differential, whether on the road or on the pavement which is dangerous. In Spain and France we cycle on paths and the wrong way down streets. We always do it with caution and are prepared to stop and give way whenever necessary, and walk if required in the interest of ours and others safety. Spanish drivers are more considerate than the French, and this is reflected on pedestrian crossings. The Spanish mostly let you across, the French do not, they might just as well not be there>:-)

Our son lives in Florence and drives a car and rides a motor bike. He says that if you don't drive/ride agressively you get swallowed up.

I have found the safest and most enjoyable cycling in towns and cities to be Holland and Belgium. Everyone on four wheels gives way to those on two, and that includes 40ton lorries!!!(lol)

Cycling is enjoyable and healthy and at long last towns and cities are waking up to the fact that it also gets cars off the road*-)

Brian, you're right this is not the place for discussing the pros and cons of cycling so no further posts from me after this one. Just a couple of points if I may. My main thrust is that looking at the RISK of injury or loss of life bad motorists represent a much greater threat to people than bad cyclists, but the latter seem to get a disproportionate amount of criticism for relatively minor transgressions whereas the inherently more dangerous contraventions of the highway code by motorists are tolerated. Why? As I said perhaps it a cultural legacy.

As for cycling on the continent maybe it is because we feel more relaxed on holiday but I think in general the concentration/use of vehicles is less than in many parts of the UK. Also, some countries have a more enlightened approach to cycling for example, Holland, Belgium and Denmark. I agree with your comments about eastern Europe.

To Rupert, motorists don't pay road tax as such and have not done so for many years. What we pay is VED vehicle excise duty which is based on the CO2 emmisions of the vehicle. Hypothecation, which maybe your point, went out before the last war.

So enough from me on this topic, we go on holiday in our motorcaravan in a week or so to France, Germany, Italy and our bikes will be going with us.

Happy cycling wherever you may go.

Archived