Roaming Charges

Randonneur

In the same ex-pat newspaper the front page headline reads:" Roaming Charges Face Axe. International call fees could be scrapped by 2015."

"Extra charges for using your mobile abroad are set be axed by the EU, potentially saving second homeowners, expats and tourists in France hundreds of Euros per year."

Unfortunately folks, the new rules will not apply to mobile access to the Internet.

If anyone wants to read this newspaper online the website is www.connexionfrance.com You normally have to subscribe if you want it delivered by post but we had a copy dropped into our postbox yesterday FOC.

I suppose if the 'Single Market' means anything then there should be no difference in costs to making a call anywhere in the EU. One possible cloud might be that Telecoms will try and recoup the loss and one way of doing that is to charge for incoming calls even in citizens home countries. What seriously needs looking at is the cost of data roaming which despite action by the EU is still ridiculously costly. Thanks for the heads up on that.

David

This has been rumbling on for years and still hasn't been sorted, I don't object to a reasonable charge for using my mobile abroad trouble is the phone companies have been taking the piss, also all articles I've read about charges for using mobiles abroad state text messaging as costing 10p at home, not on Orange PaYG it isn't, still who expects a journo to know what their talking about!

Archived