Gaslow

hallii

My newly acquired Hymer 522 has a Gaslow system with one propane and one Gaslow cylinders. They are about 11kg.

Never having used this system I have some questions.

Do I have to turn something off when I refill the Gaslow cylinder?

Can I replace the propane cylinder with another Gaslow cylinder ( and a new pipe / tail connection)?

Hallii

Yes, you can replace the standard cylinder with another gaslow.

How the tails connect for refilling both together I am not sure.

You should always turn of the outlet from the tanks when refilling, otherwise the pressure on the regulator increases and can damage it while filling. Also with it not turmed off, you can risk getting liquid gas into the regulator.

hallii - 2010-05-31 9:07 AM

Can I replace the propane cylinder with another Gaslow cylinder ( and a new pipe / tail connection)?

Hallii

For the Gaslow system on our old van I fitted one refillable and retained the Calor propane as the reserve cylinder on the Truma autochangeover system. We just refilled as soon as possible after the Truma control indicated that it had changed to the reserve cylinder.

Andy

Thanks all, my system already has a changeover set up so I am OK there.

I think I will stick with the propane as a back up for a while and see how it goes.

I hadn't thought of how to fill both cylinders (if I fitted another Gaslow cylinder), I think I will have to email Gaslow and see what they say.

Hallii

For info on Gaslow, go to:

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products/list_1.htm

On the bottom left there are 4 pdf documents, click on the 2nd one from the bottom, "Fitting Instructions for the Refillable Cylinders", and read page 4 onwards as this should answer some of you questions.

Unless you are going to go to parts of Europe etc where you are going to have difficulty getting your 11kg bottle refilled, and/or your gas use is going to be excessive, I really wouldn't bother getting a second Gaslow bottle as its not worth the expense.

There have also been lots of threads about Gaslow/refillable bottles on the forum, in the search, if you type in Gaslow, set the time limit to 1 year and select 'Motorhome Matters' forum (list on left) you should get plenty to keep you amused for a while! :-D

Guest Tracker

Whilst an auto changeover system is fine in theory do be aware of the risk of emptying both bottles if you forget to check - particularly in very cold weather when much heat is needed and it would be a real inconvenience to run out totally!

In theory why would you need two Gaslows? As long as you top up the one regularly and carry a standard reserve bottle for the odd time that you might be nowhere near a gas point?

I suppose it depends on your type of use and how far you are likely to be from a convenient gas pump when you need it most, but I would be inclined to try it on just the one refillable bottle for a while first before lashing out mega bucks on a second with link hoses etc that you just might never need?

hallii - 2010-05-31 3:57 PM

I think I will stick with the propane as a back up for a while and see how it goes.

I hadn't thought of how to fill both cylinders (if I fitted another Gaslow cylinder), I think I will have to email Gaslow and see what they say.

Hallii

I think one refillable and one exchangeable bottle is the right way to go. In the UK I use a calor propane as the reserve and when away for our winter trip I swop the calor for a Spanish Repsol. Result no problem with gas while away, happiness!

If you do wish to fit a second Gaslow cylinder it is very easy (I have checked the info now) and all you do is fit a branch connector to refill inlet of one cylinder and connect a second hose to refill connection of other.

So all very straight forward.

Brambles - 2010-05-31 9:18 PM

If you do wish to fit a second Gaslow cylinder it is very easy (I have checked the info now) and all you do is fit a branch connector to refill inlet of one cylinder and connect a second hose to refill connection of other.

So all very straight forward.

Slight correction, you don't fit a branch connector you buy a Second Cylinder (No. 2 cylinder) which costs the same and a second cylinder hose. You then disconnect the filling hose from the top of the first cylinder and connect it to the new second cylinder. Then the second cylinder hose you bought connects from the second cylinder to the origional connection on the first cylinder (both these operations are no different to you changing an ordinary cylinder and are an easy DIY job. Then when you refill, both cylinders are filled together.

Personally I would avoid the automatic change over valve as you only have indication that you have changed to your second cylinder if you look inside the locker and see the marker on the valve has changed. If you use the manual changeover valve as soon as the first cylinder starts to run low you turn on the second cylinder then turn off the origional, you then know that you need to refill at your earliest convenience.

Now here is the reason for having two Gaslows, as when you refill you re top up BOTH cylinders back to 80%, whereas if you still have a standard Calor cylinder you don't know how much gas you have left for the next time you need to use it, so you could (I did) run out of gas at some stage.

Bas

Sorry Bas, but from what I read you are saying is that the output of second cylinder now feeds 1st cylinder. So you are feeding evaporated (non Liquid) LPG into 1st cylinder. You must fill both with Liqified LPG so the LPG inlet from pumps has to feed both inlets to cylinders. The outputs you configure as you want, be it manual changer over, automatic or indeed both linked. Each cylinder has its own cutoff to prevent filling over 80%.

You need a branched connector on one of the cylinders.

No either you have misread my post (or perhaps I did not make myself clear :$ ) as I didn't say you connected the OUTLET from the second cylinder I just said you connected the second cylinder..

The second cylinder comes with a fitting already installed that connects the filling hose on, using the second cylinder hose, to the first cylinder and both the cylinders are topped up with liquid upon filling. My point was that you do not need a branch you just need to buy a second cylinder (No. 2) and a second cylinder connection hose.

01-4006-2 6kg No.2

01-4011-2 11kg No.2

01-4200 Second Cylinder Connection Hose

The normal outlets of both cylinders are connected to the change over valve.

Bas

starvin marvin - 2010-05-31 8:51 PM

hallii - 2010-05-31 3:57 PM

Hallii

I think one refillable and one exchangeable bottle is the right way to go. In the UK I use a calor propane as the reserve and when away for our winter trip I swop the calor for a Spanish Repsol. Result no problem with gas while away, happiness!

We have a single Gaslow cylinder, and for space reasons our "backup" is just one of those tiny 901 CampingGaz bottles. No changeover system, just a spare adaptor carried loose because I SO don't want to use the absurdly expensive CampingGaz! It's just peace of mind really, for those times when we either can't find an LPG station, or don't want to move the van til tomorrow.

We've needed it just once in over two years. It provided cooking & fridge for 24hrs, and ran the water heater (slowly!) for washing up and two showers. Cost twice as much to exchange as the Gaslow costs to refill!! :-(

So it's very much a "last resort," but does that job fine.

starvin marvin - 2010-05-31 8:51 PM

We have a single Gaslow cylinder, and for space reasons our "backup" is just one of those tiny 901 CampingGaz bottles. No changeover system, just a spare adaptor carried loose because I SO don't want to use the absurdly expensive CampingGaz! It's just peace of mind really, for those times when we either can't find an LPG station, or don't want to move the van til tomorrow.

We've needed it just once in over two years. It provided cooking & fridge for 24hrs, and ran the water heater (slowly!) for washing up and two showers. Cost twice as much to exchange as the Gaslow costs to refill!! :-(

So it's very much a "last resort," but does that job fine.

As a 'by the way' and with Tony saying about only using his back up once in 'X' (forgot what you wrote, Doh!) years and the cost of exchanging being high. I purposely ran both our Gaslows out the weekend before last as I was thinking that the second cylinder had never been run right down and it being newer has a guage that I had no idea whether it worked. Well I found it does and pretty well.

Just refilled and got in 34 litres at a cost of £20.06p, now I was paying not far short of that for a 6kg Calor Propane (think it is around £19 now) and that is for roughly 12litres of gas!! Goodness knows how much the dreaded 907's are now as when I had them on a boat if I recall they were something like £9.99 then for, what is it, 2-3 litres?

We have been making money on our Gaslows for several years now as we bought ours when they were half the cost of now not to mention the sheer convenience.

Refillables rule in my book.

Bas

I have 2 11kg refillables, not gaslow, installed without a changeover system so that I can have one bottle turned on at a time.

I know I have 2 weeks to fill up the bottle that I have just turned off.

The benefits are that I never run out of gas & both bottles get used a similar amount.

The drawback is the gas nearly always runs out a) at night or b)at night in the rain and once c) in the day in the snow :-D

I have never turned both bottles off when filling but will from now on. :$

hallii - 2010-05-31 9:07 AM

My newly acquired Hymer 522 has a Gaslow system with one propane and one Gaslow cylinders. They are about 11kg.

Never having used this system I have some questions.

Do I have to turn something off when I refill the Gaslow cylinder?

Can I replace the propane cylinder with another Gaslow cylinder ( and a new pipe / tail connection)?Hallii

We have one 11kg refillable and one small propane Calor as a backup. The small Calor bottle has not yet been turned on because we top up the refillable as necessary. When I purchased the refillable bottle I was advised to ensure that both the bottles were turned off at the valves before coupling up the filler hose, I was also advised to turn off the Fridge so that it was not trying to fire up while I was filling with gas. What I would be interested in is if I could exchange my 11kg refillable bottle for one of the newer types which are fitted with a float gauge but as yet I have not got around to asking Gaslow the question. B-)

Archived