Ferries to Greece?

EJD

Does anyone have any advice on getting from Croatia to Greece by Ferry? I believe we have to go from Croatia to Italy and then Italy to Greece. If anyone has any recommendations we'd appreciate it. We're travelling in an Autocruise Starblazer just under 7m long and 3m high.

I'd guess because to get from Croatia to Greece you need to cross Montenegro and Albania, for which your UK insurance provides no cover, and all you can get at the borders is basic third party only "transit" insurance.  That could be a big financial risk with a newish van.

To answer you question, it looks as though you would have to cross to Bari, and then back to Igoumenitsa.  Azzurra or Jadrolinija only, I think Dubrovnik to Bari, but either Agoudimos, Superfast, or Ventouris, Bari to Igoumenitsa.  This is the shortest crossing, at about 8-10 hours each way.

Bari to Igoumenitsa - what a dreadful ferry crossing. Pay the load masters a 'tip' its a bribe really, to leave some room around your vehicle. I am not exaggerating when I say that you can return to your vehicle on this crossing and have to wait for an hour or more for the vessel to unload before you can get into your own vehicle because there is only a foot of space all around you! An interesting life experience though.

Bari to Durres is even worse!

Sssnake - 2010-06-06 9:32 AM

Bari to Igoumenitsa - what a dreadful ferry crossing. Pay the load masters a 'tip' its a bribe really, to leave some room around your vehicle. I am not exaggerating when I say that you can return to your vehicle on this crossing and have to wait for an hour or more for the vessel to unload before you can get into your own vehicle because there is only a foot of space all around you! An interesting life experience though.

Bari to Durres is even worse!

Hi,

I'm very surprised at your comment.

I've used the Bari - Igoumenitsa crossing many times over the last 25 years and have never come across the conditions you describe, what ferry company did you use and what time of the year?

I agree about Bari - Durres that has to be avoided at all times.

Don

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-06 1:07 PM
Don Madge - 2010-06-06 12:59 PM ........ I agree about Bari - Durres that has to be avoided at all times. Don

Not least because you arrive in Durres, which is in Albania, for which your UK full comp insurance won't cover you!  :-)

Go on Brian let your hair down and live dangerously for once. :-D :-D A trip to Albania will do your nervous system the world of good. 8-) 8-) See you at the Northern Show?Don

Hi EJD

From Croatia I think you would be best to nip back to Venice and take Minoan Lines from there. You can book 'camp on board' which gives you access to your van at all times, electric hook-up and of course allows you to sleep in it as well. It is like a mini cruise as you sail down the Adriatic and leaving Venice is magical. I've also done the trip from Ancona but prices are about the same and you don't get that Venice experience.

A useful website for all the ferry companies is www.ferries.gr

Regards

Tony

Tony M - 2010-06-10 5:31 PM

Hi EJD

From Croatia I think you would be best to nip back to Venice and take Minoan Lines from there. You can book 'camp on board' which gives you access to your van at all times, electric hook-up and of course allows you to sleep in it as well. It is like a mini cruise as you sail down the Adriatic and leaving Venice is magical. I've also done the trip from Ancona but prices are about the same and you don't get that Venice experience.

A useful website for all the ferry companies is www.ferries.gr

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

Having used the camping on board for many years you must bear in mind that the refrigerated trucks and cattle trucks use the same deck.

Margaret & Barry Williamson (Magbaz Travels) were parked next to a cattle truck on a crossing and it took months to give the stench out of the van.

Safe travelling.

Don

Hi Don

Yes I suppose there is the chance of getting in a bad position on deck but we have always been lucky and only had other campers around us. Last year we were on the outside row and had great views and the benefit of cooling breezes. As you know it can get a bit warm if you are in one of the more enclosed areas!

Regards

Tony

Archived