Dawlish Warren Aire

chas

Have read that the aire at Dawlish Warren is no longer available for overnight stops for motorhomes. :-(

It appears that Teignbridge council must now seek planing permission for it to continue. Very sad, I wondered how long this forward thinking idea would last.

chas - 2010-05-31 8:34 PM

Have read that the aire at Dawlish Warren is no longer available for overnight stops for motorhomes. :-(

It appears that Teignbridge council must now seek planing permission for it to continue. Very sad, I wondered how long this forward thinking idea would last.

I'm trying to get a bit of the background to this, it does seem that the local planning dept have said that planning permission is needed for change of use.

The council are in fact very supportive of the continuing use of the car park for overnight motorhome parking and have been trying to formalise the arrangement. Unfortunately this seems to have thrown up the planning issue.

Andy

chas - 2010-05-31 9:34 PM

When we stayed there last year, overnight parking was restricted to October to April or thereabouts. If I had turned up in May, I wouldn't have expected to be able to park overnight.

This sucks. Why oh why do the petty bureaucrats have to stop enjoyment. If their own council wants to continue with it and no one compains why should it be stopped.

This makes me so angry as I have been singing the praise of Teignbridge to Exeter/Devon Council to try and get some overnight parking in Exeter. Obviously no one in the planning department is a motorhomer, or a member of the common sense human race.>:-)>:-)

Roy Fuller

Porky - 2010-06-02 6:39 PM

This sucks. Why oh why do the petty bureaucrats have to stop enjoyment. If their own council wants to continue with it and no one compains why should it be stopped.

This makes me so angry as I have been singing the praise of Teignbridge to Exeter/Devon Council to try and get some overnight parking in Exeter. Obviously no one in the planning department is a motorhomer, or a member of the common sense human race.>:-)>:-)

Roy Fuller

Unfortunately it's not a matter of petty bureaucrats or common sense, it's planning law... I've seen the advice given by the local planning office to Teignbrigdge DC, The problem is that, although a 'site licence' is not required, by virtue of the exemption allowed because the land is in the control of the local authority, this particular exemption does not confer 'permitted development rights', so planning permission is required.

Andy

I agree, it's not a matter of petty bureaucrats or common sense. Planning law in this context acts to ensure that local and national government can only implement measures which might be controversial once they have been properly examined - just as they would be if the proposer were a private individual or company.

Graham

Archived