Oil Temp warning light.

Stew

I have a 1999 Fiat Ducato 2.8 idTD and twice now the oil temp light has come on whilst driving. Once whilst I was on my way to Scotland, and the other time was recently when I was coming back from Nottingham. Oil and filters regular changed, and on both occasions I was only cruising, I never travel at high speeds.All other temp readings fine. I stopped and checked all levels and all are ok. Any ideas, could it just be a faulty sensor? Where is the sensor actually fitted?

If I wait a short while it obviously cools down a bit and light goes out.

Maybe a question for Nick.

Oil and water temperatures are, under normal conditions quite close to each other.

Under heavy load / high speed the oil temp. can get quite a bit hotter, but usually cools down again under normal operating conditions.

It could be the sensor, but as it's intermittent it will be difficult to check the actual oil temp. when the light comes on.

The sensor shouldn't cost a lot ( but probably costs a lot more than it's worth!) so I would change it for a start.

If that doesn't work then it could be the electronics, loose connection, or the actual oil getting to hot. The only way to check the actual temp. of the oil is with a thermometer, a jam making one might do if it is long enough. Most MOT garages have an oil temp sensor built into the emissions tester.

The grade of oil in use can affect the oil temp. thicker oils in an engine designed for low viscosity oil can result in local overheating, (reduced flow)

and if the coolant (water) system is partially blocked it can cause the oil temp to rise.

Hallii

Hi Stew,

This is not necessarily bad news, but you do not have a warning light for oil temperature on your van. You do have a red oil can symbol which means low oil pressure.

Now; Low oil pressure is definitely a problem, but the pressure sensors are a common fault and that is probably all it is.

I would get the sensor changed, and get a garage to check that any engine breathers are clear of gunk before I got my panties in a twist because low oil pressure is not a characteristic of the 2.8 Sofim engine. If there is no unusual rattling coming from the bottom of the engine I would not worry about it. This was the best version of the Fiat 2.8 by a mile.

Nick

PS. On the subject of oil, we were still using 15W40 mineral oil (of a high quality) at this age of van and got 250,000 miles without any problems. 10W40 semi synthetic is recommended. Do not use synthetic oils in 2.8 Fiats.

Thanks for quick responses.

But do I feel a fool?

The light that is actually coming on is the Engine Coolant Too hot(Red). Its the one to the right of the oil pressure warning light. I just got the handbook out to check, I obviously miss read it when I looked, I just thought as water temp is reading normal and fan is not on that it was the oil temp and not the water temp.

Is that normal that one would come on without there appearing to be a high temp on the gauge?

Again could this be a faulty sensor (or owner!)

Regards

Stew :-S

Well, that's what this site is for isn't it?

You found the answer eventually.

Now, water temp. light could just be sensor, but the actual temp of the water (coolant, for it must have antifreeze and anti corrosion additives as well) can be more easily measured. First do not open the filler cap boiling water will spurt out and scald you.

Use small contact sensor (found on some multimeters) or any other electronic measuring device. Or you can fill a suitable hollow on the radiator or engine block with oil and shove a thermometer in the oil.

Be careful not to overheat or boil up the engine, modern engines do not take kindly to this.

Hallii

Hi Nick it happened to mine it turned out the bolts had come out of the cooling fan assembly just had to replace them. Did it with slightly longer bolts and fitted locknuts maybe locktite would have done it but wanted to be certain. Hope yours is as easy. John B-)

Archived