Habitation and Dampcheck.

bobalobs

It maybe that I am out of date with current rates but a friend has just been charged £280 plus VAT by the dealer many love to hate for a damp and habitation check on a one yearold german panel van conversion. From their hourly rate they have charged for four and a half hours labour which to me is excessive for the matters shown on their check list. My friend failed to get a price for the job and in practice there is only one simple course open namely to put all future business elsewhere. Any views ?

Look else where, we had Albany Mobile Caravan Services Rick Stephens Albany Farmhouse Winchester Road Bishops Waltham Hampshire SO32 1BZ 01489 891377 07828 032544 do ours, came to the house very nice for about £100.00, I think I am not sure because we had discount for doing ours before the 1st March..Got his info for this post from the web.

Would totally recommend him.

Caroline

bobalobs - 2010-06-01 11:56 AM

It maybe that I am out of date with current rates but a friend has just been charged £280 plus VAT by the dealer many love to hate for a damp and habitation check on a one yearold german panel van conversion. From their hourly rate they have charged for four and a half hours labour which to me is excessive for the matters shown on their check list. My friend failed to get a price for the job and in practice there is only one simple course open namely to put all future business elsewhere. Any views ?

Assuming the dealer dealer in question is the one that were charging £190 for a damp check on Hymer's, & maintained that the check could only be done by them and was not valid if a Hymer caravan dealer did the check (at half the price).

The HIC (Hymer Club International) challenged them over this after showing them correspondence from Hymer they will now do it for HCI members for £90. I still prefer to pay for a ferry crossing have a nice weekend in Belgium only pay 60€ for the damp check & not feel ripped off.

On some German vans, you are paying to cover the water ingress liability as well as the cost of doing the check. This, and good quality build, is how they manage to give such extended water ingress warranties and make a profit in the process.

Hymer UK Club card owners get a discount on the rate - or non Hymer UK Club card holders get penalised; not sure which. Hymers without a full set of damp check stickers are worth less than those with the stickers.

I suspect your friend had the gold service - Hymer UK and Brownhills default to this unless you say otherwise. The gold service doesn't offer much for its premium price over silver and bronze.

No. Definetly the silver service . I have seen the invoice as I did not understand how they reached the total and wondered if out of the ordinary parts had been required. There must be less work on a damp test on a panel van and yet the check list showed the seal between the floorpan and side walls had been checked. Never heard of water ingress in this area on a panelvan!!

Archived