June issue of MMM

Sundowner

Hi,

When visiting the Southern Show, I noticed that the June issue of MMM was on sale, (several days before the usual publishing/delivery date.

I did not buy one as I was expecting to receive it by post on the last Thursday of the month.

So far it has not arrived, and I have heard nothing from the subsciptions department, despite leaving two messages.

Is anybody else still waiting for their copy?

I have checked that my wife has not hidden it until I have completed my chores!!

Hi Rupert?

The subscriptions dept. have just rang - the've put another copy in the post.

I agree with you about Andy S., his articles are the first thing I turn to every month.

To my shame, I've never thanked him for all his efforts regarding the gearbox fiasco.

It was entirely down to him that our Adria Twin has had all the avialable mods. done, and is as good as it will ever be, that is no shudder, but still a reverse gear that is much too high.

Rgds. Ernie

Rupert I think you're being a bit harsh.

It's the only magazine I actually trust that the "reviews" of motorhomes and products are genuine and not advertising "puff".

When some magazines test a motorhome it seems to consist of driving it around the dealers forecourt!

The article this month on air pumps I found fascinating. There are lots of articles on technical matters and the letters are great.

Please try to read any of the other mags and you will see why MMM is the best by far ;-)

bertieburstner - 2010-06-01 2:30 PM

It's the only magazine I actually trust that the "reviews" of motorhomes and products are genuine and not advertising "puff".

When some magazines test a motorhome it seems to consist of driving it around the dealers forecourt!

The article this month on air pumps I found fascinating. There are lots of articles on technical matters and the letters are great.

Please try to read any of the other mags and you will see why MMM is the best by far ;-)

I do not really read any of them. My wife subscribes to MMM so I usually have a quick glance. As for trusting the road tests, do not think so, no mention was ever made of Fiat reverse until Andy started shouting very loudly about it. Did not read the airpumps thing but if you found it 'fascinating' fine, I just assumed they were things that pumped up tyres. It may well be the best but goodness knows what the rest are like then.

I have to say I was somewhat amused by one of the tests in the latest issue. The motorhome in question was judged to look splendid, yet all I could see was the fact that it had hardly any windows, and those that were there were extraordinarily small.

Inside, the noble tester found an oven which, when open, was ideally placed to bash his head while allowing hot fat to drip onto the beige(!) carpet (do the builders ever actually use one of their designs?)

Moving forward, he scraped his cranium again on sharp bolts protruding from the light fitting. He found the bed comfy, but added that there was really nowhere to sit.

And the price for this paragon of practical motorhome? Somewhere in the high £40,000s if memory serves me right.

Are the manufacturers mad, or are we mad to buy the things?

Mike - I think you're on about the Hobby, er .... try £53,000+!!!!! 8-)

I couldn't live with those daft shaped windows either! I aldo didn't like the fact that the only window on the off-side was in the door which made it seem very 'hemmed-in' in the phtos. It was interesting to read about it especially as the layout has similarities to our Chausson Flash 04, but at around £16,000 MORE than we've paid I'm glad I didn't spend the extra dosh. :-S

bertieburstner - 2010-06-01 2:30 PM

Gordon Bennett ! someone actually trusting a commercial organisation, sounds a bit like a FIAT story I heard recently.

And as for the Caravan Club magazine its 99% adverts, its awful, I usually bin it after emptying the loose rubbish, I DON'T READ ANY OF IT.

art

bertieburstner - 2010-06-01 4:57 PM

Rupert

please don't knock what you don't understand.

That's not meant as a criticism in any way but it is a good magazine and the articles are way better than any other.

Do not understand, whats to understand, you either like it or you do not. You like I do not so perhaps you can explain why they are better. My opinion is just that, if you do not agree fine but do not tell me I do not understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been an avid reader of MMM since the good old John Hunt days (when it was named, as I recall " The Motorcaravan and Camping Magazine"), and still think it is the best available.

That is why I'm disappointed to still be waiting for my June issue to be delivered, especially as it was on sale at the Southern Show before the usual publishing date, when we are told that one of the advantages of subscribing is receiving the magazine before it is on sale in the shops.

I have indeed already received the AUGUST edition of what I consider to be MMM's main rival, which I think is going a bit too far, but seems to make some sort of point.

I know that this all sounds a bit sad, but like Fiat, maybe MMM also reads these threads.

I know that

Hi sundowner

I would sent a private message to the OAL moderator if the copy posted on 1st June as still not arrived(go to Forum User Guide - anyof the threads by OAL Moderator & click the "PM" button)

asking him to notify subscriptions & Check they have your correct address.

This will be quicker than waiting for them to view your post on this thread

• 4 weeks later...

Hey art338,

You should read the letters in the Caravan Club mag at least.

I wonder if any of them are genuine. Perhaps they only pick out the most ingratiating ones for inclusion.

I read them, then I chuck it.

Archived