Scotland here we come!

Mel B

Well, taking into account the weather forecasts for the North West/Islands, we decided to travel across to the 'sunny' side! So we've been to amongst other places, Penrith, Edinburgh, North Berwick, Berwick Upon Tweed and I'm currently sitting in the van looking out over the water towards Lindesfarne ... yup, we're back over the border. Its lovely and sunny and warm, but quite breezy. Going to wend our way back home slowly.

I wish the weather for the islands and that part of Scotland had been better, but it wasn't and that meant we couldn't do what we wanted to do on holiday. We agree that having a walk in the rain isn't the end of the world, and we did on some of the days, but it's one thing in a bit of rain, but quite another when it's lashing at you and you're nearly getting blown over and you're freezing!!! Even the locals were commenting about how bad the weather was and how cold for this time of year.

If the opportunity arises in a few years time and we're feeling 'brave' again (and our memory has faded), we may try the islands again, when we can check the weather forecast and are able to pick the time to go to match up with a good weather 'window', but as I'm back at work on Monday (and had already booked the 2 weeks off), we didn't have much choice, other than not to go at all.

Anyway, we've had a lovely paddle and splash about in the water this afternoon with the dogs, have had a natter to some other campers, had a nice tea, and are just about to go and take the dogs for another waddle and take some piccies.

Gotta go, netbook needs charging up! :D

Well, we're back home. Spent the last couple of days wandering down from Lindesfarne, nearly got blown off the cliff at Sandsend near Whiby on Friday night though! Moved the van down to the bay at 6.30 am and 'hid' behind the toilet block to buffer the wind for us ... waves were marvellous though, especially when they were coming over onto the road and the car park. Especially fun watching a group of lads in their landrover parked next to the seawall getting 'drenched' as the waves thundered over onto them - looked like they were really enjoying it!! Oh, and the lady who had rather foolisly parked her car by them and after taking her dog for a walk, decided to go back to her car just as a large wave came over ... neither needed a shower after that! :D

1640506445_Sandsendwaves.JPG.384e403efc160b74b8abdc97f7aca93d.JPG

Just had 2 fabulous weeks starting in Oban, then the Ardnamurchan peninsula and Skye followed by Applecross. Weather pretty good had cags on once for wind protection. Fantastic reasonably priced campsites, and generally terrific views, only spoiled by wild campers spoiling views of beaches and bays by parking overnight in areas of outstanding natural beauty, which after early evening should be left to nature. No wonder more and more places are putting in height barriers. I invite your response and justification those who invest tens of thousands of pounds in a vehicle but put little or nothing into the local economy. As for those who find Scottish weather unacceptable please do go somewhere more to your liking, leaving the peace and tranquility to those of us who enjoy it. Also those vans who crawl through the mountains and don't pull off to let a tail back of many cars go through you ,give motorhomers a very bad reputation

Hi Z ... I think! ;-)

I'll address some of your comments if I may although I do not feel the need to justify the way I 'holiday', no more than I would ask you to do so:

Fantastic campsites - not many campsites where we were, fortunately we didn't need to use any and instead, by staying in the places we did, we put money in to the local economy - just because we don't use campsites doesn't mean we don't contribute. Irrespective of how much we spend on our motorhome, this doesn't mean we HAVE to use campsites to support the places we visit - we bought lots of local produce (meat, fish, veg, salad, bread, milk etc, etc) whilst we were there, visited various attractions, historical sites etc and bought fuel too, in addition we bought presents and other items from the various shops ... even managed to spend a fair bit of dosh in the charity shops!!!

As for spoiling views of beaches by parking there overnight, we only parked where there was no-one to spoil it for out in the middle of nowhere, but usually we were tucked out of the way, and not on full 'view' unless someone actually came looking for us ... it's amazing how you can 'hide' a motorhome if you try hard enough!

As for not letting traffic pass, we do ... often ... and get thanked for it too.

Weather - we were disappointed as the forecast had said it would be better than it was and we were looking forward to being able to get our canoes and bikes out ... nothing worse than being in a beautiful place and not being able to take advantage of it because of the ruddy weather.

I'll continue to holiday as I do and enjoy the things I see, lots of things that had we stayed on campsites, we would not have enjoyed ... like the morning we woke to find we had been surrounded by cows .... or the late night walks on the beaches with the dogs ... or the fun we had one evening watching the cars playing chicken whilst waiting to cross the causeway to Lindesfarne and seeing who was the bravest to attempt to cross first!!! *-)

thankfully you replied to this Mel! ive been chomping at the bit!! maybe its GT?

exactly as you say! dont have to justify anything!! we have the amenities so we use them, how can you spoil the view? if someone was above THE CAMPSITE you would be spoiling there view /nature also.. as to nature what did you destroy Z "on your way up with your co2 emmissions.. or does that not matter?

just spent weekend in patterdale 4 pax £31 a night!!! no wonder wildcamping is better, the missus even used the vans shower!! how bad is that?

coming back on the A65 i call them sunday drivers.. 30 to 35 on a 60 road! not just us MHers

GET A GRIP Z" take achill pill !!!

PS.. its not about £60000 vans.. its about what you can afford!!! and if that is wildcamping so be it , each to there own

bet your a barrel of laughs on a sat night?

jon 8-)

PPs if you look my avatar thats Harris in a layby but i still give £250 over the bars in a week...... oh sorry thats not giving back is it?...

PPS... I AWAIT YOUR INPUT Z or anybody for that matter!

ITS CALLED FREEDOM!!

Well this has really opened a can of worms and personal diatribe! I fully respect everyone's right to make their own choices, "each to their own" is right, but sometimes it has unexpected /unintended consequences ,but my major points have not really been taken up . Perhaps I should clarify them.

Height Barriers: we are always complaining about these and they are spreading even to rural/coastal laybys. Why is this happening. It is not just to keep out HGV. so why else?

Scottish Weather: is notoriously fickle, don't go there and then moan about it, it upsets the natives

Traffic holdups: yes most people do let traffic through but a lot don't (maybe they are the ones who don't read the forum).

Maybe we should all, myself included think carefully about our impact on each other's enjoyment and freedom to do what we want.

One specific question. How do you heat water for your shower if you are wild camping? Not a generator I hope!! And yes I am a bundle of laughs if I go out on a Saturday night, which is rare cause I'm saving up to pay for campsite fees! (humour intended)

Looking forward to more constructive exchange of views.

Guest JudgeMental

most campers are self sufficient and have gas heating for water and space .... AND tanks to store fresh and waste water*-)

you forgot the midges :-S

zeddykay - 2010-06-24 9:20 AM

To add a note of objectivity if you have time read the following article link . especially the readers' comments at the bottom of the page. Some points of interest I think. http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1330728?UserKey=

If link doesn't work try The Press and Journal 30/07/09

I didn't read many of the comments but did notice that (I think) all the negative statements in article where by B&B owners, didn't see any comments from campsite or shop owners, who I'm sure are happy to see more customers.

I used to compete in national windsurfing series, at most (if not all) venues those with vans where allowed to camp at the race sites, at one perticler welsh town there was a lot of complaints from local B&B's about this, we never went back, but saying that I'd hate to turn up on any island and find it overwhelmed by vans.

Guest JudgeMental
zeddykay - 2010-06-24 9:20 AM

To add a note of objectivity if you have time read the following article link . especially the readers' comments at the bottom of the page. Some points of interest I think. http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1330728?UserKey=

If link doesn't work try The Press and Journal 30/07/09

Not interested.... as no interest in visiting because of attitudes like this (plus midges & the awful weather*-))

In Europe there are 1000's of Aires, dedicated parking places for motorhomes with water and waste facilities, some free some a small charge. These are set up by far more enlightened self interested local councils to ATTRACT visitors who spend MONEY in their towns :-S

They WELCOME motorhomes because they ain't stupid, and realise people driving 30-80 thousand pound campers need looking after and have money to spend *-)

Interesting language - or to use his own word 'diatribe' - being used by this 'new user' .... shades of GT I think!

As for the people we met in Scotland and on the islands, with the exception of one shopkeeper at one of the ports, who was very rude but nothing to do with motorhoming (she didn't know we had one), we found everyone to be very, very friendly and helpful. We did come across some height barriers but they were in areas where there were 'unofficial' gypsy encampments so I suspect it was in the main to keep them out.

If only we could be more sure of better weather, I'd happily return, but I'm afraid that not being able to do our favourite things on holiday does put a bit of a downer on things. Perhaps when I'm not working and we can take off at the drop of a hat, when a good weather window is predicted, then we'll go again get the most enjoyment out of the place.

Archived