Fuel Prices Abroad

PJay

Hi Guys and Girls

Just thought you would like to know the price of fuel here in Spain we are paying 1.049 in southern Spain .Went to Gibralter yesterday, just to get fuel (AND TO SAY WE HAVE BEEN THERE) Price in Gib 84p Paid in sterling. If they can sell at that price , why is it so much more in UK? We are getting 29+ mpg from our 2.3 engine, so happy bunnies at the moment. Going on to Portugal, been told prices higher there. Weather extremly hot, it is curently 33deg out of the sun. I hope you are also getting some good weather at home

Pauline

"Price in Gib 84p in sterling. If they can sell at that price, why is it so much more in UK?"

The reason is taxes m'dear; the amount of taxes which a Government levies on road fuel differ very much between countries.

All the money I spend here in Spain was converted to Euros in 2003 when I moved here. I got 1.45€ to the pound. So 1.04€ is only about 72p for me.

When I go to the UK I tend to use my Spanish credit card, so that brings UK prices down considerably.

Wow, that's cheap!

We were stuck with having to buy from motorway sites this weekend. Paid 1.23e near Euro Disney and 1.27e up north. Makes our prices look cheap!

I suppose that if we had left the m-ways to forrage for reasonably priced fuel we could well have ended up getting stung for additional road tolls?

Anyway; two weeks ago I was beating myself up about being tight and not using the M6 toll while sitting in the mother of all queues near Wolverhampton. Fact is; at £9.00 for a van, on a Saturday who in their right mind is going to do that? This weekend we took 3 vans to Paris and used thier toll roads. We covered about 280 miles on very good roads, very quickly for 31.00e each way. That is about £26.00 at todays rates and that looks like better value to me.

I wonder what the French think?

If our toll road was a third of the price it might not attract three times as many drivers but at least Simon Cowell and the like would have some company on it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it is 'kind' of relevant.

Nick

euroserv - 2010-06-07 4:12 PM

Wow, that's cheap!

We were stuck with having to buy from motorway sites this weekend. Paid 1.23e near Euro Disney and 1.27e up north. Makes our prices look cheap!

Nick

1.27€ that' still 8 - 10 p a Lt cheaper than over here.

Try going over to Skye, or the isles of Lewis and Harris in the Outer Herbrides - £1.299 per litre!!!! *-) Skye itself is around £1.279 to £1.289 per litre.

The cheapest fuel we found on our way up to Skye was £1.169 and that was at Glasgow of all places. 8-)

Mel B - 2010-06-14 8:37 PM

The cheapest fuel we found on our way up to Skye was £1.169 and that was at Glasgow of all places. 8-)

Thats because they top up with Ironbrew :D

On sunday whilst topping up the Suzi I realised that filling the new van I've ordered will cost £244 from a dry tank, WTF, think I'll stick to 1/2 tank unless I'm heading to Skye.

Archived