vignets etc

derek pringle

Hi, wonder if anybody can help.

My wife and I are off on Thursday to France/ Italy/ Austria and Germany.

Bit late asking I know but only just thought, do we need any particular

documentation other than the obvious vehicular requirements, passes, vignets or the like? and the best and quickest place to get them?

thanks

derek

Some of the German cities now have Umwelt zones - bit like the London Low Emission Zone but much cheaper to travle in - that you will need a windscreen sticker for if you intend driving into them.

You should be able to get more information online by just searching Umwelt zones and I believe you can obtain the appropriate sticker from the local outlets in Germany.

David

Germany runs a number of Low-Emissions Zones, where you are not allowed to enter unless your vehicle conforms to the emissions level for the particular zone. (Penalty for doing so is a fine, which I understand is fairly low at the moment, but may rise). To demonstrate compliance, you must (if you enter a zone) display a sticker (plakette) and it must be of the required colour for the zone. Stickers are cheap, and if you are going on Thursday the easiest way of getting one (If you decide you need it) will be from a TUV station or dealership for your vehicle in Germany.

There was an informative debate earlier on here (with all details) at

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19374&posts=19

Austria runs a toll system for motorways (only) which requires a vignette (gross vehicle weight up to 3500kg) or a GO-Box (GVW over 3500kg). Best place to buy vignette, which is not prohibitively priced) is petrol station at/before border, or border post (though Austrian Post Offices do them). Go-Box is more complicated and much more expensive.

It IS possible, with planning, to avoid Austrian motorways, but probably only worth it if you are above 3500kg.

Again, done before on her in great detail at:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19134&posts=14

HTH

Archived