American RV

ddaaffyy

American RV  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was rash enough to buy one of the above. I now realize that it is so seeminly complicated that I am unable to drive it. Has anyone any helpful hints as to how to go about learnong how to cope with a 'Fleetwood Bounder"? (!) *-) :-S

The 2010 version is a 32', 10 tonne, vehicle with a 7 litre petrol engine and automatic transmission.  You don't say what year yours is, but I assume it is similar in size/weight/type.  You need an HGV licence to drive this.  If you have one, driving it should be a piece of cake.  If you bought from a dealer, he should have demonstrated its driving characteristics, highlighting anything unusual.  If he didn't, get him to do so now.

If you don't have an HGV licence, you can't drive it until you pass an HGV test, and will not be insured if you take it on the road solo before you have the required licence. 

If you bought it from a dealer, and you don't have the requisite licence, and did not realise/were not advised you needed one, get them to collect it from you and give you your money back - you were mis-sold the vehicle.  If in doubt, speak to your local Trading Standards department.

Guest JudgeMental
So you have no HGV, or else you would have no problems driving it I guess...Do you need a HGV license to drive a 10 ton RV I wonder.......

I am pretty certain you need a HGV licence to drive anything over 7.5 tonnes, so if you haven't got one, as Brian says, you really shouldn't be going out onto the roads with it. BIG legal trouble and heavy fines will come your way.

Plus, seeing as how the poster admits they can't drive it, or at least they don't feel confident driving it, then to take it out on the roads knowing that is in my opinion, reckless, selfish and, if it isn't it should be, criminal anyway.

Anything over 7.5 tonne MAM and you will need a category C entitement, ie a HGV licence. Even if it's less than the threshold it would be no bad thing to take some HGV lessons anyway - and there are loads of companies out there who would oblige. Driving anything over about 9m x 2.5m x 3.5m requires a whole new skill set.

Passing a modern day LGV test is no walk in the park.

Good luck though, they are smashing things if you are happy to stick mainly to trunk roads and camp sites.

Guest JudgeMental
ddaaffyy I think you need to get down to trading standards as soon as possibe and see if they can help in this.......

Archived