solar trickle charger

hymer1942

The long answer is also " no".

You'll not get anything like 1.5 watts from it in the real world of shifting sun, clouds, dust on solar panel etc.

And that's even if you cigar lighter is still "live" when the engine ignition is off.

We live in (very sunny) Spain, and we've got an 85 watt solar panel on the roof of our MH, which trickle charges both our engine battery and our two leaiure batteries, via two separate regulators.

That is a BIG panel. It works just fine over here where it is very sunny almost all day, almost all days.

Hi

I bought a 1.5w solar charger from Maplins about 18 months ago and have used it both on my 'van ( Kontiki) and car - obviously not at the same time - and confirm that it held the charge in the battery. So if your battery is fully charged to start with, then should be OK. I left the van for 2 months whilst in New Zealand and came back to find the battery reading as I left it.

Mike

From my experence, a 1.55W based on 12V solar trickle charger does make your battery never stranded again! I use a solar charger for engine emergency. My car doesn't do that weird throbbing sound whenever I start it up, as the battery is fully charged and doesn't struggle when my car starts.. More information on this, check page:

http://www.espow.com/wholesale-solar-charger-for-12v-car-battery-quick-starts-your-engine-prolongs-battery-life.html

I was talking to a technician at the dealers when my EM unit failed and asked him the best way to keep the battery topped up and he said these units worked OK providing the battery was in good condition and fully charged. He seemed to indicate they should counteract the drain from the alarm and oddly enough the reversing camera.

Apparently the setup on my van is such that the factory fitted camera is live wired and constantly draws a current - hence why both leisure and MH battery drain in about 3 days - DOH!!

Not yet got around to hard wiring mine onto the battery but will give it go and see what happens.

Hopefully better than leaving on hookup at home , as the MH isn't insured if the Cat 1 Immobiliser isn't activated and if the battery is drained then it isn't - cant see how that works but that was the view of the insurer when I was initially sorting out the EM problem and as any tealeaf would have to jump start the van to nick it seemed excessive!!

Archived