Inverters ?

Den

At the shows I've seen a stand selling inverters (from a trailer type stand) he demos using a microwave and an hairdryer i think. Ive lost his business card and wanted to replace my defunc one. Any one know whom I'm trying to put a name to.

Thanks

Dennis

Hi Clive

Its mostly for the vacuum and sometimes charging the elec bikes. Ive just sold my motorhome to a chap who likes to mess (you know who you are COLIN HIGGINS of Brownhills) I should have had it back but somehow he managed to modif it by not using any battery power(Burnt it out) I,d only had almost2 years with no problem. But at least i can upgrade to an 1800w , some consolation i suppose.

With the 1800w i think i'm right in saying it can power hair dryers no problem (small travel type and a small microwave) .

Yes 1800w is enough to run a microwave plus a few other bits and pieces, we have had one for over 4 years now no problem but we do have two 105amp batteries.

Everything in our caravan is 12 volt except the Microwave, hoover and hair drier

Hi Syd

Thanks for that reply. We previously used a 1000w for the vacuum no problem, the microwave had to be turned down power wise and took several mins. The wife didn't use the hair dryer (drip dry) but wants to now . The MH comes with a 200AH battery as standard

Dennis

Usually the microwave is the biggest drain, on start up that is, so look on the back of yours and see what the wattage is on the plate/lable.

As long as it is below the size of your inverter you will be fine.

We bought ours from Moore Power but I think Dave Newell isn't that far from you if you don't want to fit it yourself

There is a recommendation that an inverter needs battery power calculated as follows:  Inverter watts/4 = required battery power in Ah.

Thus, a 1,000W inverter would need 250Ah of battery capacity, and an 1,800W inverter would require 450Ah battery capacity.  The main reason for this is that leisure batteries are not designed to release their power in large amounts over short periods of time so, the faster you try to get the electricity out, the less the batteries are able to supply. 

So, for a 1,000W inverter (without allowing for inverter (in)efficiency), the 12V batteries would have to be able to deliver 83 Amps - and go on doing so for however long the inverter is providing its 1,000W.  For an 1800W inverter, this rises to 150Amps.  So be warned, you need big cables, and big batteries.

Hi Syd

Have just purchased a 2100w inverter and taking to France along with the 1660 Efoy for LeVoyageur to fit in the new MH.

Thankyou Brian for your comments. They fit as standard 1x 200Ah but i'm going to ask for a second one to be fitted.

My Dethleffs has 2 leisure batteries under the drivers seat. I want to fit an inverter but the only place I could fit one is at the rear of the 'van. Would it be possible to fit 2 more batteries at the rear to power an inverter (with short cables) and could these be charged independently from the first pair.

Archived