Urgent. Travel insurance for OZ

Don Madge

Evening all,

I have got an excellent quote for a flight to OZ in Jan, the agent is holding it for 48 hours so we need travel/medical insurance asap.

The problem is we are both over 75 and have pre existing medical conditions and the trip is for 95 days.

I have spent all afternoon trying to get some cover on line Most won't insure the over 75's and the ones that do only cover for up to 90 days.

So has anybody had or knows somebody that has had cover like we need I would be very grateful.

Regards

Don

Hi Don we are thinking of doing the same thing in Jan 011 to OZ would it be too much to ask who was or is the flight travel agent for your trip and by the way we are both 71 and already with Saga.

Regards

Culry

Holiday insurance info from Money savers

Cheapest Travel Insurance. £14 a YEAR (£28 for families) New Guide

Inc. super-cheap & new 'top value' picks with good feedback (over 65s deals too)

The volcano put travel insurers under the spotlight, so we've revamped & re-researched our guide adding tools and now including two best-buy categories... 'Cheapest' v 'Top Value': Our 'cheapest' are based on price alone, providing they meet min. cover levels, while 'top value' incorporates past performance from us, Defaqto & Which?, though even then nothing's perfect. Cheapest Annual Policies: Most are exclusive prices via comparison site Moneysupermarket (the links take you there). Single Person: Multitrip* is £14 in Europe and £22 Worldwide, with £150 excesses. Couples/Families: Multitrip* wins again, at £28 in Europe and £37 outside Over 65s: Prices rocket, but options include Flexicover* at £64 for 65-69s (see over 65s section for more). New 'top value' policies: The MSE & Defaqto top pick Direct Travel* is £33 for singles in Europe (£53 Worldwide) and £56 for families (£79 worldwide). These are just the tip of the iceberg. Full info, pros, cons & best buys in the New Guide: Cheap Travel Insurance Related: Package Hols, Travel Money

Hi Syd,

Try searching for travel/medical insurance with pre existing medical conditions and over 75 years of age.

I could not get one quote for a 95 day trip to OZ. I lowered to 90 days and got three quotes £2465, £1855 and £1206.

Safe travelling.

Don

Hi Don Madge

Hells Bells thats expensive, I have one of your problems, health, so I don't take insurance as I think it will save me money in the long run and if I do hit trouble then I know that I will have to pay.

A close friend of mine collapsed in France and it cost almost £4000 to bring him home, includeing the funeral.

Have a good holiday

When traveling to Austrailia medical healthcare is covered by reciprical agreement with UK. Of cause this won't cover cancelation of holiday or other expences like missed flights etc.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

p.s. whilst I was in Oz I recieved free dental care, wether this is somethng that has since changed or was a mistake I don't know.

Rowan Lee - 2010-06-20 10:31 PM

We had the same problem for USA. We could get insured but for horrendous premiums. Finally found MIA online, fully covered on an annual policy for less than £200.

Is it too late to cancel Saga?

Hi Rowan,

I owe you. :-D

We cancelled Saga and got a full refund and got cover with MIA for £495. :-D :-D

Regards

Don

Archived