MH + Car vs Car + caravan

magbrin

As owner of Renault Master PVC and at risk of causing offence (which I probably will) could someone please explain the benefit of a HUGE motorhome towing a medium sized car over a car and caravan when touring the highlands (?)

Yesterday one passed our place, on our rural B road. It was 30' if it was an inch, and looked like a palace, and it was trailing a medium sized (at least not micro) car. It MUST cost more to buy and run, be equally difficult to drive on rural roads and if ferries are used, must cost more for them too, so what, if any, are the plus points (?)

BTW we are running a small (wild) meet w/e 17th July if you are in the highlands (with any size of van (!) ), and you would be most welcome :D

Hi,

The m/h you are refering to would be and american RV. these tend to be run by full timers so size is important to carry all you need.

As to normal ( 7m say ) m/h plus car we prefer it that way as we only need a small car at home for shopping etc. If you need a large car then the argument has less going for it.

Length wise both types are similar. Running cost are also similar.

We can,t park a caravan on the drive(covernant)/road but can a motorhome as it is taxed and insured.

The M/h allows us to go without the car and use bus passes, you cant take the caravan without the car. France allows M/H in the town aires but not caravans.

I personaly prefer towing a 1 ton car with a 4 ton m/h. You don,t know its there most of the time.

Need i go on

Richard

This really is the fundamental question. My personal preference would be be quite a large twin axle caravan with an island bed, towed behind a VW Sharan, allowing comfortable living with comfortable driving, an additional load capacity of half a ton in the car, and the only downside is more fiddling around with water and tanks. I find the modern porch awning to be vastly superior to the average M/H awning, and more weather resistant, and a lot lighter and cheaper. I find driving such an outfit to be great fun, and the touring and visiting part of the holiday is much better in a car.

Cosmopolitan Girl holds the purse strings, and she favours the M/H, so thats what we have. Minimalist inspiring load capacity, not quite perfect bed, fragile awning, noisy truck driver's cab, and it was quite expensive.

One more thought, on a couple of occasions we found ourselves rushing back to Calais from the South of France with the caravan, and we did it in one day. We've never quite managed that in the M/H. Maybe I'm getting too old.

AGD

Guest pelmetman

If you like to wild camp, which we do if the oppotunity arises, I would prefer to do it in a camper set for a quick getaway if needed, ie no legs down nothing left out side B-)

Not to mention we can set up camp in 4mins (timed myself once) from arriving to having the kettle on (lol)

Hi,

Given the choice, I would have a 4x4 for towing the caravan, a small Japanese car for a runabout, and a scruffy old jalopy for work and play. Then a trailer caravan big enough to leave the bed made-up and room to sit to table at the other end. Then a moderate size campervan with a hook to tow the caravan, or a trailer to carry the small runabout.

What I have got is a 1960 Land Rover (tick), my wife's 2009 Kia Picanto (tick) an ABI 5 metre caravan (tick), a 6x4 box trailer (no tick), and I have just bought a 1998 Daihatsu Hijet micro-pickup (no tick) .... (but when I find a Romahome demountable to fit the pick-up, I can add TWO ticks). Er ....I'm not sure whether micro-pickup with demountable counts as three ticks. ????

starvin marvin - 2010-06-17 3:02 PM Its always easier to tow a small thing with a big vehicle than to tow a big thing with a smaller vehicle.

But - trust me - it far, far, easier to reverse a long thing pushed by a short thing, than to reverse a short thing pushed by a long thing.  :-)

pelmetman - 2010-06-17 3:15 PM If you like to wild camp, which we do if the oppotunity arises, I would prefer to do it in a camper set for a quick getaway if needed, ...........

Forgive the pedantry, but if wild camping in a place where it is legal, there will be no need for a quick getaway.  The circumstances under which the quick getaway are needed do not stem from ownership of a motorhome, or from wild camping per se, but from trespass - which is a completely different subject.

Guest pelmetman
By wild camping I am thinking isolated beaches etc and also include aires if we are the only vehicle, it pays to be prepared B-)

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-17 4:51 PM
starvin marvin - 2010-06-17 3:02 PM Its always easier to tow a small thing with a big vehicle than to tow a big thing with a smaller vehicle.

But - trust me - it far, far, easier to reverse a long thing pushed by a short thing, than to reverse a short thing pushed by a long thing.  :-)

Spot on Brian, My Truck was 30' long the trailer was 20' and pulled on an A frame (2 pivot points) the trailer coupling was one the front axle on the trailer was the other, in other words a bloody nightmare. >:-( It took me two years to master it, And I was supposed to be a professional

Dave

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-17 4:58 PM

Forgive the pedantry, but if wild camping in a place where it is legal, there will be no need for a quick getaway...

I wild camp nearly all of the time, never (knowingly) illegally, but have still chosen to make quick nocturnal ‘getaways’ when faced with a change in ‘site’ circumstances. In these cases it’s far easier in a ‘van than with a caravan outfit. I have seen people wild camping in caravans (in Sweden/> and Spain/>/>) but it’s pretty rare, and having seen the faff involved in setting up and breaking camp, I can see why. 

As to the debate regarding which vehicle contains the motor, I’d venture that the huge majority of users would be better suited with car + caravan than ‘van + car. I personally think that most ‘van-towing-car scenarios are driven by desire rather than actual practical need. The occasions where ‘van + car is the most pragmatically logical are very few and far between, but they do exist. 

At the end of the day both scenarios are very restrictive if the journey itself is the adventure: both work OK if you’re a slave to sites though. 

Neither would suit me!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-17 4:51 PM

I have recently bought a box trailor for our new business, and had a tow bar fitted to the camper as the shows we attend to promote our new venture have been weekend events, so having the camper has been very useful.BUT learning to reverse a small trailor with a larger vehicle which has a long overhang has been very entertaining for the neighbours (lol) (lol) (lol)

crinklystarfish - 2010-06-17 8:02 PM

I personally think that most ‘van-towing-car scenarios are driven by desire rather than actual practical need. >

Surely owning either a caravan or a motorhome, is desire, not practical need?

Olley

As owner of Renault Master PVC and at risk of causing offence (which I probably will) could someone please explain the benefit of a HUGE motorhome towing a medium sized car over a car and caravan when touring the highlands

There is more room to live in a 30 foot rv and towing a van with a disabled ramp means we can carry a mobility scooter and wheel chair and mobility aids which means when we arrive anywhere, we can go out. Scooter and chair would not fit in a car or 4x4

Phil

Some interesting thoughts

W3526602 - 2010-06-17 4:09 PM

Hi,

Given the choice, I would have a 4x4 for towing the caravan, a small Japanese car for a runabout, and a scruffy old jalopy for work and play. Then a trailer caravan big enough to leave the bed made-up and room to sit to table at the other end. Then a moderate size campervan with a hook to tow the caravan, or a trailer to carry the small runabout.

What I have got is a 1960 Land Rover (tick), my wife's 2009 Kia Picanto (tick) an ABI 5 metre caravan (tick), a 6x4 box trailer (no tick), and I have just bought a 1998 Daihatsu Hijet micro-pickup (no tick) .... (but when I find a Romahome demountable to fit the pick-up, I can add TWO ticks). Er ....I'm not sure whether micro-pickup with demountable counts as three ticks. ????

:D

I thought ticks were what the dogs pick up, on a regular basis on their walks in the Highlands *-)

Joking apart, we are minimalist when it comes to MHing. We love the freedom and almost invariably camp wild. It has never occurred to us that there might be a need for a quick gataway. Our van will go anywhere a large car will go, and we feel no need to tow anything. Obviously we all have our needs and wants and some of us feel the need for more space and luxury than others, but we will be sticking with our basic PVC for many years to come :D

I thought ticks were what the dogs pick up, on a regular basis on their walks in the Highlands

Hi Magbrin,

I thought the doggy parasites are called tics ..... but I'm probably wrong.

You have to treat dogs for tics when returning from France ..... but not for UK tics if you are already here. French tics can kill. UK tics???

Sorry, OT.

magbrin - 2010-06-16 9:50 AM

Yesterday one passed our place, on our rural B road. It was 30' if it was an inch, and looked like a palace, and it was trailing a medium sized (at least not micro) car. It MUST cost more to buy and run, be equally difficult to drive on rural roads and if ferries are used, must cost more for them too, so what, if any, are the plus points (?)

The plus points are you get the best of both worlds. If I want to tour I leave the car behind. If I plan a visit where I know I will find it difficult to use the motorhome or I intend to stay on one site for some time I tow the car.

peedee

having tried towing a caravan with a large 4x4 (Merc ML and Disco 3) it wasn't for me.

I also find that in my motohome - which is actually the same length as my previous 2 caravans , I have got all the same gear in and completely stowed away , everything has a place and is in its place and I have over double the load capacity should I need it , which I dont.

No longer have I got a top box full of stuff or water barrels or awnings in the car which with 3 passengers a 2 dogs wasn't good. I no longer have to meticulously place every item in the caravan to ensure harmonious stability (yes I do have to pay attention to weight distribution in the MH but its not as critical as a caravan - moving a heavy item in the caravan by a few inches made a vast difference to its handling.

Yes I will tow a small car but it will be on the few occassions my trip warrants it which means we get more opertunities to go on a whim - providing we can book a site of course!!

Finally on a different tack - no longer owning a 4x4 means I no longer get attacked , physically or verbally , my car no longer gets a weekly splattering of rotten eggs , or smashed windows or keyed paintwork.

Yes all happend on the 4 different 4x4 I've had over the years , all happend on my driveway or local supermarket and all by ignorant cowards and surprisingly all stoped last year when I sold my last 4x4 and got a 'normal car'. But 4x4 owneship is a whole new topic.

W3526602 - 2010-06-18 6:18 AM

I thought ticks were what the dogs pick up, on a regular basis on their walks in the Highlands

Hi Magbrin,

I thought the doggy parasites are called tics ..... but I'm probably wrong.

You have to treat dogs for tics when returning from France ..... but not for UK tics if you are already here. French tics can kill. UK tics???

Sorry, OT.

Not sure - think it has a "k", but it certanily has a nasty bite and whatever, UK sheep ticks can cause Lyme disease, which if not caught early can cause quite serious illness

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-19 12:00 AM The one without the k goes for your anatomy, the one with goes in a box!  :-)

I think you are covering yourself on both account's there Brian.

If it's serious enough to cause harm on your anatomy then it might end up in the same box as you. :-D

Dave

I thought that a tic was the contraction of the muscles, usually of the face, habitual, but not under the control of the individual exhibiting the tic.

As for ticks and Lyme's disease, isn't that usually in deer, not sheep?

This thread seems to have strayed very far from its origins -- my symbol "Wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding" -- so I can't comment on towing cars with motorhomes -- just thought I'd contribute to the usual (nearly impeccable) standards of truth, grammar, spelling etc. of this thread -- unlike some of the others that I'm not supposed to mention!

Cheers,

Colin.

Guest pelmetman

I thought Ticks where followed by Tock :-S

Well according to my clock anyway (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived