Tolls not charged on Friday 11th June in France

catinou

We travelled quite a long way on toll roads in France on Friday - trying to escape the awful weather we had experienced for a week in Central France!! :-S On 2 - including after a long stretch on the A16 - when we reached the booth to pay there was a sign saying it was free! Nobody at the Le Touquet Aire knew why this was - any ideas anyone?

We thought the attendants could be on strike? (the notice said "Grave" as well as "free") or maybe the date was significant? *-)

flicka - 2010-06-16 4:51 PM

Typical French industrial action.

11th June strike paytolls 2 companies

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87203

Thanks John, that sorted us out - we were thinking it could be a strike as the notices were scrawled on cardboard and one just said "Grave" which translated by my much used French dictionary as "strike". I like to know why we had a bit of good luck on that day..... *-)

colinfrier - 2010-06-16 8:51 PM

Driving from Malaga to Calais from 1/07 to 8/07 any frww days during that period?

Try to find the Toll Booth Operators Union website & ask them. *-)

Anyone's guess, bit like BA Cabin Staff, but the French tend to strike with no notice.

catinou - 2010-06-16 3:07 PM

........the notice said "Grave" as well as "free") or maybe the date was significant? *-)

Being pedantic either the Frenchman who wrote the sign didnt know his own language or you misread -strike in French is 'grève' -grave means serious.

Klyne - 2010-06-17 10:20 PM

flicka - 2010-06-16 4:51 PM

Typical French industrial action.

11th June strike paytolls 2 companies

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87203

Why don't they go on strike when I'm there :D

David

Don't start wishing David.

It might be your return ferry affected, then you will be nearly in the same ituation as those airline passengers stranded by volcanic ash. ;-) ;-)

The following news item attracted my interest today:

"Trade unions [in France] have confirmed a full industry-wide strike for June 24 after the government unveiled its plan to increase the retirement age to 62. Trains will be affected from 20.00 on June 23 until 8.00 on June 25."

I have no idea whether this will affect toll booths or not but it is a phenomenon that occurs from time to time in France. I have had free exits from autoroutes more than once over the years.

Archived