Looking for smaller coachbuilt

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

We want to get a smaller van, but I am really stuck as the only small coach built I like is on a Fiat *-) it is a Adria compact SL. here are some pics.

http://tinyurl.com/27bma3t

A bit longer then I wanted but everything else ticks most boxes :-S 2 single beds/ sleeps 4 at a push/decent garage/100 litre fridge/120 litre tanks/ decent payload etc...... also Adria's are well put together with GRP walls and roof.

If anyone can think of another camper along the same lines not on a Fiat:-S I would be most obliged. Had been thinking of a panel van conversion but I think they are a step to far, as a bit to compact.

I've always admired La Stada's Nova and Westfalia's WestVan. They may or may not suit your needs but both are well made, not even remotely on Fiat, and have many attributes that I know you'll appreciate. Not common in the UK but cracking 'vans.

We went down in size to a fully featured 6m x 2.12m x 2.62m and have never looked back. It goes anywhere.

Guest JudgeMental

Crinkly what did you buy then? we ar still considering PVC's

The west van was my other choice but Mrs Mental wants single beds *-) as fed up clambering over me.......it is 2.8 high and adria 2.7 as well

It has twin rear wheels, does this mean its rear wheel drive?

Also Westfalia have gone into receivership, Plus I have not seen a new westvan on mobile.de for over 12 months. cracking van though, and could still be tempted to a 2009 one, here are some pics

http://tinyurl.com/2c5nlyk

EDIT: thanks Dave that is interesting news and gives hope if they are building on other then Fiat. We nearly bought an Adria when we went to Dusseldorf show but the euramobil one that time....

Eddie

Burstner Prismo and West Van were jointly developed between Westfalia and Burstner.  Burstner only ran it for a year or maybe two.  It was rather expensive compared to the FWD versions of the layout.  Last week there were three new (unregistered) Prismo's on mobil.de, though I think they will have been standing around for quite a while.  They weren't near the channel though, but Bundesvan would surely bring one in for you if you were interested.

There are single bed versions of both Hobby and Hymer Vans, but they get longer to accommodate the length-ways single beds.

WestVan was RWD and was built really well, the lack of separate beds was the limiting factor for us too. The Nova, though brilliant, stood a little tall for my liking.

I gave up on PVCs because they nearly always have poor water / gas capacity and frankly, though I know they're popular, I don't 'get' the big sliding door attraction. I'd rather keep the insects outside, ta.

Sadly, for reasons I won't bore you with, I ended up having to compromise my original plan and ended up with FWD on Fiat in the form of a Dethleffs Globebus Integral. It has separate double beds and lacks nothing - not even oven / grill etc, plus water and gas capacity are excellent. The use of internal space is superb.

I tracked down a 3 litre model as they don't suffer the reversing issue and have mechanically driven cams. The base vehicle has been spot on.

In a twist of expectations, I'm happy with Fiat's contribution, but have rather fewer good things to say about Dethleff's quality control. Actual construction methods are fine, it's well designed in engineering terms, but it was obviously screwed together by people that couldn't care less and it has taken some fettling. Plus, it's aluminium panelled which I know doesn't really suit you - or me truth be told.

All that said, I have now sorted it completely and it's set up for extended touring off the beaten track. If it were RWD / 4WD and skinned in grp it would be the dog's.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-19 2:40 PM

Eddie

Burstner Prismo and West Van were jointly developed between Westfalia and Burstner.  Burstner only ran it for a year or maybe two.  It was rather expensive compared to the FWD versions of the layout.  Last week there were three new (unregistered) Prismo's on mobil.de, though I think they will have been standing around for quite a while.  They weren't near the channel though, but Bundesvan would surely bring one in for you if you were interested.

There are single bed versions of both Hobby and Hymer Vans, but they get longer to accommodate the length-ways single beds.

They may well be on the same body and identical in that respect but having had a westfalia before the build quality inside is bomb proof...look at the pictures and compare, the westvan is much nicer inside then the Prismo IMO...wesphalia struggle on, so would just need to verify if 6 year water ingress guarantee is still valid. called a UK Adria dealer and they wont know re other chassis till later in summer...I may go to Düsseldorf show and have a good look around.But the compact SL has most that I want, gas and electric heating as standard and a pet hate of my current van is no glazed panel in side door, the compact has this as well. there is no van of this size that compares with it unfortunately

Guest JudgeMental
pkc - 2010-06-19 5:33 PM

Hi Judge, Chausson 14 perhaps ?

Regards, PKC.

Thanks, but no way as nice a spec as the Adria...

No garage (essential for expensive E bikes) diesel heating (prefer gas and electric) no window in door, no large tanks, smaller fridge..... the Adria is really a very well specified van :-S

the adria rear beds convert to a massive 6x6 for 3 just about.... So if the teenagers are with us, and we overnight on an Aire I can sleep in front and the 3 of them in the back. then when on site they can use a tent.

JudgeMental - 2010-06-19 6:20 PM

pkc - 2010-06-19 5:33 PM

Hi Judge, Chausson 14 perhaps ?

Regards, PKC.

Thanks, but no way as nice a spec as the Adria...

No garage (essential for expensive E bikes) diesel heating (prefer gas and electric) no window in door, no large tanks, smaller fridge..... the Adria is really a very well specified van :-S

the adria rear beds convert to a massive 6x6 for 3 just about.... So if the teenagers are with us, and we overnight on an Aire I can sleep in front and the 3 of them in the back. then when on site they can use a tent.

Sorry Judge I made a mess of the last post what I ment to say was I had been to look at the adria range and the compact and it looks great but inside it looks small with no grill or oven and a small kitchen area with near on no preparation area the rear beds take up most of the room so as it says "compact" one bonus is that it has two rear seatbelts that some of the larger vans do not have and yes the quality is good if you can live with that then go for it

Hi Judge

All the twin rear single tend to be longer if you need forward dinette seating

A possiblity but 7.4m - LMC Liberty Cruiser 718 on Transit.

http://www.geistforlife.com/classifiedZoom.php?cid=177

http://www.geistforlife.com/classifiedZoom.php?cid=178

(but I'm sure the height stated must be wrong) 8-)

or @ 7.1m L x 2.79m H Eriba Car Emotion 693 rear Island bed on Transit

http://www.eriba-motorhomes.be/nl_motorhomes_detail.aspx?Ref=Z503&ID_voertuig=3199&MerkID=Eriba&TypeID=Car%20Emotion&ReeksNr=693&Alkoof=Van&autoMHlv=2

Guest JudgeMental

Micky thats the whole point a more compact but fully featured van :-D Not bothered re oven, if you tasted Mrs Mentals cooking you would know why, her talents lie elsewhere :-S

The single beds can be used for lounging on as well. other then the the length it is not much bigger then a PVC but it is a fully speced coachbuilt. heated 120 litre fresh /waste tanks. gas/electric heating as standard, the list goes on........ most vans this size like the hymer 622 have a smaller fridge as they place it over the wheel arch 8-)

lets keep fingers crossed and see if they bring it out on another chassis

Thanks Mel, thats a new one!... just looks a likle boring not as nice a finish as present van. the Adria (for the money) really compare well with the more upmarket Terrestra range of euramobil which are expensive........

Thanks Flicka, 6.5 max was the aim, this length forced on me by Mrs M re the single beds.

Guest JudgeMental

This would not suit us, but is very different and interesting way of looking at motorhome interior design.

chausson sweet series:

JudgeMental - 2010-06-21 12:09 AM

chausson sweet series:

I really like this. I think the idea of the central dinette is great as it should give the rear passengers a better view of the road ahead.

JudgeMental - 2010-06-20 9:16 PM

Micky thats the whole point a more compact but fully featured van :-D Not bothered re oven, if you tasted Mrs Mentals cooking you would know why, her talents lie elsewhere :-S

The single beds can be used for lounging on as well. other then the the length it is not much bigger then a PVC but it is a fully speced coachbuilt. heated 120 litre fresh /waste tanks. gas/electric heating as standard, the list goes on........ most vans this size like the hymer 622 have a smaller fridge as they place it over the wheel arch 8-)

You are very brave judge on your remarks about Mrs mentals cooking if I had said that MBH would have told me to b----y cook it yourself or I would be wearing it

Guest JudgeMental

I think I would in all honesty really prefer a PVC as it is a far more multipurpose vehicle :-S but not sure if they are to much of a compromise to live with. my camper has only done 12000 miles in 3 years I am sure I would use a PVC more often......

we actually slept in one at our Belgian dealer when or van was in workshop for warranty repair, not sure what make it was but we slept fine in the comfortable double across the back.....

Me being FAT I found it a bit of a squeeze in general, but with my thinking head on I am wondering if I could make this work. the sliding door and keeping bugs out is a worry :-S

a tow bar mounted rack would take care of the bikes.....

a comparison over on Promobil at the moment between 3 PVC's

a Karmann Davis (I like this one, same as Euramobil quixta I think) a Strada and a new TEC model. Only the Karmann/euramobil has acceptable insulation IMO "insulation material, Styrofoam, thickness wall / roof / floor 27/27/26 mm" all other PVC's I have looked at normally you are lucky to get more then 10mm insulation *-)

So what about recommendations for PVCs I have not considered plse? and can owners comment on what they are like to live with. and Brian still waiting for your ideas on a NEW van :-D

AND: I would prefer a van that has gas heating rather then diesel. I can fit a large refillable gas tank slung underneath van, freeing up some internal locker space....

Vantage Motorhomes do a variety of conversions, presently Fiat based, but might be persuaded to look at the new Master/Movano  http://tinyurl.com/386fckk

Some offer single/double bed arrangements.  The smaller model, the Cub, was briefly featured in the May MMM, page 145.  Prices not too bad for PVCs.

Your biggest problem is that you want a single beds option, or possibly an island bed, in a compact van which, as I see it, means something, somewhere, will be heavily compromised.

Part of the reason I'm looking at PVCs is because the overall strength of the bodyshell is greater, the security superior (the vans remote locking "tricks" being retained in their entirety), you get full control over the van spec (unless you buy "off the peg"), and the van body is less prone to minor damage from twigs etc that so easily crease the sides of coachbuilts.

The Master/Movano versions appeal, on paper, because they come in four lengths, the useful ones being 5548, 6198 and 6848mm, and with a bodyshell width of 2070mm, which is the same as ours - and can thus accommodate a transverse bed.  Interior heights around 2000mm appear achievable. 

It is available FWD or RWD, though not in all sizes, can have an auto box with any engine power option, can have factory fit full air rear suspension, has an option for a limited slip diff (sadly, RWD only), can be glazed or not, can have sliding doors both sides, and can be ordered pre-equipped for conversion electrics.

The main problem, at present, is that production is still ramping up, so not all versions, or all options, are yet in production meaning details of some variants/options are a bit sparse.  Also, until the rubber hits the roads, it is an unknown quantity.  Still, the previous version was widely held to be the best drive among the vans of its generation, so there is hope!  :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Sorry, forget the single beds in a PVC. althogh adrai manage it in their SL at the cost of a squashed lounge...pointless I think.

6.200m sounds a nice length if it gives a tad more lounging space

Had a look at your link. they look well put together but I prefer the rear transverse bed/front lounge layout...no way am I going back to making beds up! lol

Eddie, how much winter camping do you do? I'm sure you've thought of everything but that's one consideration we didn't pay enough attention to many moons ago.

It's easy looking back of course, but at the time we didn't consider just how much time we would spend in too small a van in winter.

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental

Martyn I used to do more winter camping then I do now.... Why I bought a Euramobil, as they are excellent for winter use. even for 3 season camping decent winterisation is important IMO.

But if say going to Spain for a few months in the winter I would probably be going solo (Mrs M has to work to look after me!) so a PVC might well do...who knows *-)

Eddie, bear in mind that with a PVC, although the length of the van may be 6.2m, by the time you add your bikes, it will take it to at least 6.6m and that is all the time you have them with you - that's a heck of a length! Also, with your current van you have the advantage that it is built on the shortest wheelbase that could be utilised, on a PVC, this doesn't apply and the back wheels will be quite near the rear of the vehicle, making the turning circle much larger. We've notice a difference since we've changed from our Rimor (LWB) to the Chausson (MWB), whilst we didn't think the Rimor was too bad, the Chausson turns on a sixpence by comparison. :-D

The single bed PVCs are nice on paper, but the ones we've viewed, with the small half dinette up front, are extremely tight for space in the kitchen area, usually with a double hob, small sink, and very narrow unit ... the gap between the unit and the wardrobe/washroom also tends to be very tight ... you might not fit between them!!!! (lol) :D ;-)

Archived