Comfort/RAC excellent service

Don Madge

I've been with comfort insurance for 10 years and used the Comfort/RAC breakdown service three times and this one was outstanding.

We left home Friday about 10.00am to travel down to Worthing for our great grandsons 2nd birthday.

Heavy traffic on the M11/M25/M23 was stop and start for miles. I noticed a judder and vibration on the brake pedal when braking. We crept into Worthing and parked in our usual spot behind our daughters house on her hard standing.

We rang the RAC at 19.30hrs and explained the problem the patrol man was there with 20 mins. He removed a front wheel and found the inside of disc had worn through.

We expected to be transported home on a recovery truck but the RAC man asked us if he could get new discs and brake pads would we agree to him fitting them.

We agreed and he said he would ring at 10.00 if he had located the parts. He rang about 10.15, he had all the parts and the cost was £125, we were expecting a bill of at least £200.

It took him about 2 hours to do the job which I thought was very good considering he was working on a hard standing in front of daughters garage.

The work was done through the RAC and we paid by plastic.

We are very happy at the cost and I was delighted that I would not have to do a 275 mile trip home in a recovery truck.

Don

Good news Don!

But (cynic that I am): because he fixed your brake disc on site, you had to pay for all your fuel on the way home....if he'd "recovered" you instead, you'd have had a free ride on his truck.

Maybe you can knock the fuel cost you incurred off the RAC fix cost??????

;-)

BGD - 2010-06-20 1:18 AM Good news Don! But (cynic that I am): because he fixed your brake disc on site, you had to pay for all your fuel on the way home....if he'd "recovered" you instead, you'd have had a free ride on his truck. Maybe you can knock the fuel cost you incurred off the RAC fix cost?????? ;-)

Shameless, you are Bruce!!  :-D

I'm pleased, cos we're on the same deal as Don, though we haven't needed to stress-test the service so far.  O fates, where are you when someone tempts you!  Not reading - I hope!!  :-D

You were lucky you were not in France we broke down 3 weeks ago in Brittany @ 10.30 on the Sunday morning with the oil leaking out of the gearbox after only doing700 miles since the " Judder Fix " rang Fiat Camper "DONT CARE "  for assistance 1st lorry sent after 2 hours 1mtr longer than the motorhome so no use 2nd lorry came 1.5 hours later and dumped us for the night miles from anywhere in a yard full of broken and crashed vehicles.

Next morning we were taken to a Fiat Dealers in Vannes were we sat for 6 hours before we looked at the problem only to be told they could not help for a few days as they were too busy the RAC could not return us to the UK as there was no vehicle available for 15 /20 days for after sitting at the dealership for 2 days in the end they did a temp repair to get us back to UK and left the Fiat dealers at 12 noon on the Wednesday Motorhome now sold good riddance to bad rubbish Fiat still will not offer any compo for the delay ,loss of holiday and hassle we encountered.

What about your travel insurance? That usually covers you for delays and so forth.

I'm on my fourth Fiat which has clocked almost 70,000 miles, never had a major problem with them.

I don't blame you for avoiding France we do at every opportunity.

Don

Randonneur - 2010-06-20 6:29 PM

Don Madge - 2010-06-20 5:46 PM

I don't blame you for avoiding France we do at every opportunity.

Don

Why?

Hi,

I've been visiting France since 1954 and had the unfortunate experience to work there for two years.

We did consider moving to Brittany many years ago, the Brettons love the French a lot less than we do. I have a friend in Brittany who went on holiday to Tours, when we enquired how he had made out he just said the weather was good and the natives were friendly.

As you live in France you will know that the french have a saying "It's my right" this they assume allows them to do what they like when they like regardless of other peoples feelings.

We are loners/isolationists and try and keep out of peoples way. We spent three winters in Morocco and the French thought they still owned the place. I could go on and list numerous occasions when the French have done exactly what they liked regardless of other peoples feelings.

On one occasion we parked alone on an area the size of two football pitches when two French vans arrived and parked so close it was unbelievable. One van left his engine running because he had no solar panel.

On our last trip we were in Albania parked on a viewing area when two French vans parked one either side of us and carried on as though we were not there.

You can compare France with Albania, in France you have a fabulous country and grim people, in Albania you have a grim country and fabulous people, I can't claim to have thought of that one, it came from Margaret & Barry Williamson of Magbaz travels.

Safe travelling.

Don

Its not just the French People Don, We have ex-pats here that think they have every right to do what they want as well with total disregard for their neighbours. We are fortunate in that we live in the 'sticks' and we have had nothing but kindness from the people we have met. We have a weekly market here and we don't use it very often because of the loudmouthed Brits that don't care that they are in someone else's Country and that they are visitors to that Country, they are embarassing. Large Cities and Towns all over the World have problems with their residents, I don't think France is any different All the French motorhomers we have met whilst motorhoming here have been nothing but courteous and friendly and we too don't like to be hemmed in by other people, whatever their culture.

We have been coming to France for over 30 years and have lived here for the last 10 years and in all that time we have only ever had one problem and that was 20 years ago on a campsite in Brittany. They parked their caravan on the otherside of the hedge from us and all the time they were there they were very noisy at all times of the day and night, we did ask them for a bit of consideration late at night, I don't know what they said as I couldn't speak French then, but it was plainly clear that they weren't going to change their behaviour.

hi don,

i am new to motorhomeing and will get my motorhome on sat ( hopefully ) and after reading your post i rang comfort for a quote they were better by as much as £100 and there qoute inc rac cover

i now feel a lot better and hope i will never need to use them but if i do i know i will be looked after

thanks don

ken

Sorry to hear of your troubles Don but very pleased to hear the result was good. We have just renewed with Comfort for our third year. They have re-based their rate calculations and the premium actually went down from what I thought was already an unbeatable deal. They insure my little Panda run-about very cheaply too, with "mirrored" no claims discount based on the MH.

Bob

Guest JudgeMental
Don Madge - 2010-06-20 8:18 PM

You can compare France with Albania, in France you have a fabulous country and grim people, in Albania you have a grim country and fabulous people,

Don

Well its not just us then! lol I dont mind it for a short break but can easily live without it......Mrs mental can't stand the place. We will be heading to Italy for 4th year in a row and not via France may I add :D

JudgeMental - 2010-06-22 5:51 PM

Don Madge - 2010-06-20 8:18 PM

You can compare France with Albania, in France you have a fabulous country and grim people, in Albania you have a grim country and fabulous people,

Don

Well its not just us then! lol I dont mind it for a short break but can easily live without it......Mrs mental can't stand the place. We will be heading to Italy for 4th year in a row and not via France may I add :D

Good, more room on the Aires for us. (lol)

Archived